Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

headers tune/MPG

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 11:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JetBlack98Z
Sorry man, but i'll have to disagree with you about the VVT stuff. We have a tuner down here that has been pulling 30-40hp/tq under the curve, I'm talking from 2k-4k.

LloydTX has had his trucked tuned by Said person and im sure he'd be more than willing to vouch for his work.
Yeah I know some guys have been able to tune them, but it isn't many at the moment. Those are impressive numbers from your guy tho. I really think vvt will be the way to go on some of these street motors, especially with boost. Most guys dont seem to like it from what I've seen
Old 03-28-2011, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mang213
Yeah I know some guys have been able to tune them, but it isn't many at the moment. Those are impressive numbers from your guy tho. I really think vvt will be the way to go on some of these street motors, especially with boost. Most guys dont seem to like it from what I've seen
I just think some people haven't pioneered the way yet. Its really a win win sitiuation. You Advance the timing down low for the brute tq and retard it abit towards the top of the RPM range for your max HP. Not to mention the possiblities with E85 .
Old 03-28-2011, 12:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To say that I'm thoroughly underwhelmed by my tune(s) would be a HUGE understatement.

1/4 mile performance is at least 0.5 sec and 5 MPH short of what I expected.

On top of that my fuel "economy" SUCKS! Pre - headers and tune(s) I averaged 14 MPG on my daily stop-and-go commutes. Now averaging approx 12 MPG - same roads, driving style, fuel, and traffic.

I'm REALLY tired of spending my hard-earned $$$ on tunes!

Two thoughts / possible caveats:

Just prior to my first tune (and before headers) I swapped the OEM P275/55 tires for P305/50s. MUCH wider and heavier! Gotta be affecting aerodynamic drag a bit.

The #1 tube on my ARH headers is contacting my steering intermediate shaft at times. I've considered the possibility that could be causing unwarranted knock retard under acceleration, which would definitely have an adverse effect on economy and performance. Gotta check on that . . .
Old 03-28-2011, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lloyd-TX
To say that I'm thoroughly underwhelmed by my tune(s) would be a HUGE understatement.

1/4 mile performance is at least 0.5 sec and 5 MPH short of what I expected.

On top of that my fuel "economy" SUCKS! Pre - headers and tune(s) I averaged 14 MPG on my daily stop-and-go commutes. Now averaging approx 12 MPG - same roads, driving style, fuel, and traffic.

I'm REALLY tired of spending my hard-earned $$$ on tunes!

Two thoughts / possible caveats:

Just prior to my first tune (and before headers) I swapped the OEM P275/55 tires for P305/50s. MUCH wider and heavier! Gotta be affecting aerodynamic drag a bit.

The #1 tube on my ARH headers is contacting my steering intermediate shaft at times. I've considered the possibility that could be causing unwarranted knock retard under acceleration, which would definitely have an adverse effect on economy and performance. Gotta check on that . . .
Man Llyod, im really sorry to hear that. Sounds like you've really struggled with all bugs that poped up. I would say definetly get that header tube banging on the steering shaft fixed, could you possible clearance the area or extend the shaft a bit to keep it from making contact ?
Old 03-28-2011, 03:08 PM
TECH Regular

Angry

Man Llyod, im really sorry to hear that. Sounds like you've really struggled with all bugs that poped up. I would say definetly get that header tube banging on the steering shaft fixed, could you possible clearance the area or extend the shaft a bit to keep it from making contact ?
Thanks for the reply.

Hate to keep harping on "poor ol' me" and my sluggish turd of a Sierra Denali, but it IS expensive to pay for two professional tunes and a set of damned expensive headers - and my truck runs just about the same as it did bone stock! Oh - it picked up about 2.5 to 3 MPH, but ET is darned near dead nuts identical. I'd like to try another tuner, but who to trust ?????

About that header tube contacting the steering intermediate shaft - gonna try loosening both motor mounts and see if I can't "jack" the engine over towards the passenger side - won't take but maybe 1/8" or so . . .
Old 03-28-2011, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Man that is wild! I'm going to try to make it to baytown friday to get a run or two in. I am just hoping my tune is done by then.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:36 PM
TECH Regular

Question

Originally Posted by BrutalSierra
Man that is wild! I'm going to try to make it to baytown friday to get a run or two in. I am just hoping my tune is done by then.
Keep me informed . . .

Is "Lew" building you a custom tune?

Believe it or not, in addition to my two custom tunes, I also own a DiabloSport handheld tuner I used until I bought my custom tunes. Kinda gave up on it since it's canned tune caused UNREAL spark knock on my truck . . .
Old 03-28-2011, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BrutalSierra
You would pick the weekend im going camping, damnit lol. Let us know what it runs
Old 03-28-2011, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lloyd-TX
Thanks for the reply.

Hate to keep harping on "poor ol' me" and my sluggish turd of a Sierra Denali, but it IS expensive to pay for two professional tunes and a set of damned expensive headers - and my truck runs just about the same as it did bone stock! Oh - it picked up about 2.5 to 3 MPH, but ET is darned near dead nuts identical. I'd like to try another tuner, but who to trust ?????

About that header tube contacting the steering intermediate shaft - gonna try loosening both motor mounts and see if I can't "jack" the engine over towards the passenger side - won't take but maybe 1/8" or so . . .
I donno man, the only other person I know in the houston area that has some experience with the 6.2 trucks is Wheatley, I've had my 5.3L trucked tuned by him and it was a damn good job. Good luck on geting a hold of him though lol.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:52 PM
TECH Regular

I donno man, the only other person I know in the houston area that has some experience with the 6.2 trucks is Wheatley, I've had my 5.3L trucked tuned by him and it was a damn good job. Good luck on geting a hold of him though lol.
Agreed - he comes highly recommended but is a b!tch to get in touch with! Seems to be a pattern with tuners . . .

Quick Reply: headers tune/MPG