Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

headers tune/MPG

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 02:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lloyd-TX
Neither of the bolts or nuts make contact any more. That "boot" bellows area DOES make contact when the steering is turned certain directions and/or the trans is in gear.
My LPP's do the exact same thing. I have read that there is some room to be had with loosening the steering box and moving it towards the engine then re-tightening it. I have not tried this yet though, so don't quote me.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does LPP sell headers for the new 6.2L?
Old 04-04-2011, 03:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BrutalSierra
Does LPP sell headers for the new 6.2L?
I don't believe they do right now, but I have heard they are in the works (though it seems they have been "in the works" for months now). LP parts dot com, I would shoot them an email.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
My LPP's do the exact same thing. I have read that there is some room to be had with loosening the steering box and moving it towards the engine then re-tightening it. I have not tried this yet though, so don't quote me.
Thanks for that hint, I'll check into it!
Old 04-04-2011, 03:44 PM
cam
TECH Addict

Just a quick comment on VVT. GM installs this primarily for economy purposes NOT for power adding advantages. They do this by positioning the cam phase in such a manner that the engine spins easier so its not costing efficiency from pumping unnecessarily hard. So when you have a VVT engine tuned for power the gains are HUGE because two fold. 1. GM tunes lean more towards efficiency than power 2. VVT is a power adder so using it for power instead of efficiency is the double hit.

So to see mileage drops more than say a modded/tuned older 5.3 or 6.0 or any LS engine that was non VVT is going to be part of the result. Having an all out performance tune is going to take some of the efficiency away with these VVT engines to be sure.

3mpg does seem pretty harsh though are you sure its not your happy right foot now that your a baller tuned ****?

Seriously though if mileage is a big deal then leave the VVT tables alone and disable torque management and ( if your modded ) dial in your AF and you'll probably have stellar mileage and still make great power. Just not "AS" great as if you dial in the VVT for power as well.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cam
Just a quick comment on VVT. GM installs this primarily for economy purposes NOT for power adding advantages. They do this by positioning the cam phase in such a manner that the engine spins easier so its not costing efficiency from pumping unnecessarily hard. So when you have a VVT engine tuned for power the gains are HUGE because two fold. 1. GM tunes lean more towards efficiency than power 2. VVT is a power adder so using it for power instead of efficiency is the double hit.

So to see mileage drops more than say a modded/tuned older 5.3 or 6.0 or any LS engine that was non VVT is going to be part of the result. Having an all out performance tune is going to take some of the efficiency away with these VVT engines to be sure.

3mpg does seem pretty harsh though are you sure its not your happy right foot now that your a baller tuned ****?

Seriously though if mileage is a big deal then leave the VVT tables alone and disable torque management and ( if your modded ) dial in your AF and you'll probably have stellar mileage and still make great power. Just not "AS" great as if you dial in the VVT for power as well.
Great post, cam.

Even though my tuner mentioned the efficiency that the VVT was originally tuned for, I had forgotten that.

VVT is also tuned for emissions (NoX) reductions as well.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

A good point that had not occured to me Cam. Lots of good stuff being discussed in here.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Lloyd-TX
Great post, cam.

Even though my tuner mentioned the efficiency that the VVT was originally tuned for, I had forgotten that.

VVT is also tuned for emissions (NoX) reductions as well.
That makes sense, I always wondered why the VVT 6.2s didn't make more power than their non-VVT cousins.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
I don't believe they do right now, but I have heard they are in the works (though it seems they have been "in the works" for months now). LP parts dot com, I would shoot them an email.
Well I emailed LPP and here is their response:

Our*07+ long tube headers should be in stock around May 15th.
Sorry we don't have any pricing yet.
The primaries are 1 3/4" and the collectors and Y are 2 1/2"

[url]http://www.lpparts.com

So I guess PS will be the better pick for low price LT's due to their 3" ORY.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Anyone else have a tuned headered 6.2 with fuel mileage reports? Im going to soon be hwy driving a lot more than i have.I may consider going back stock,pull headers (easy R&R) drop in stock tune.