Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

cam time for the denali! :) heads or intake worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gotcha
Old 01-10-2014, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 62nalide
Don't get me wrong your cam is a very good one indeed. But now VVT has come a long way. Most shops even now will not tune one WHY? Because most don't KNOW how. A simple VVT cam swap can net you around 75-110rwhp depending how aggressive you want it. Member Rhino79 on here is the master of VVT setups not to mention he is making over 500rwhp on an L99 through a 6L80E trans and stock heads. The new C7 is all VVT and no way round it. Just my 2 cents. Get on 5th gen camaro forums and the new C7 forums and you can clearly see VVT is dominating the game in a new way.
great debate guys..with some good info !! Im not saying a vvt cam cant or doesn't make power...my debate was that your quoting very sold peak power!! but is that any more peak power that a non vvt cam would have made? so does the vvt have anything to do with actually making MORE power peak or threw the rpm band.is really the question.. I totally agree most of the tuners say there very tricky to tune or a min gain in mpg..that its simply not worth the head ache..im pretty sure zippy and the other big tuners would have no issue tuning it.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TIM Z
Thank you very much for sharing that VVT delete list , really appreciate it
If I decide to do the delete it will be good info to have.

Keep this updated I'm excited to see how it goes together .

Yeah I'd like to hear how it sounds now with long tubes and that cat back .
not the greatest its cold out..haha

I wish I would have put the camera back alil farther doesn't sound like what it really does imo..plus then ever one could have seen me just about fall on my *** trying to run back to the truck hahaha

Old 01-10-2014, 02:41 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Damn thats raspy! I absolutely LOVE corsa, but I think it may be a bit much for me with an ORY.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rice eater 03
great debate guys..with some good info !! Im not saying a vvt cam cant or doesn't make power...my debate was that your quoting very sold peak power!! but is that any more peak power that a non vvt cam would have made? so does the vvt have anything to do with actually making MORE power peak or threw the rpm band.is really the question.. I totally agree most of the tuners say there very tricky to tune or a min gain in mpg..that its simply not worth the head ache..im pretty sure zippy and the other big tuners would have no issue tuning it.
Here is a write up done by Rhino79 explaining this a little better:
Ok guys, here is the story that sparked me to post this thread.....

We had a customer drop his car off for a Whipple install, cam install, and a zl1 pump and of course dyno tuning.

He had already ordered his parts online.

The company he bought his parts from sold him an ls3 conversion kit and basically said vvt was crap and it would make noises, and that they always do ls3 swaps on the l99s. They also sold him a melling pump that flows less than the stock l99 pump as well.....

I truly car about the finished product, if I didn't I would just have swapped parts, tuned it and sent him down the road. BUT that's not who I am.

I called him, and spent about 25 mins on the phone with him, explaining the facts about afm and vvt. Sure everyone knows afm is junk. I agree totally. But the VVT is a great advantage! I told him it was my job to make sure he is happy with his car, and I want to build him the best product I can, but it will take maintaining the vvt. So after talking, we decided to get him a custom grind VVT cam for his whipple setup.

Look, vvt is simply on the fly cam degree-ing. Its not a bunch of smoke and mirrors. It doesn't make any noise that an ls3 wouldn't make. It uses a hydraulic phaser (cam timing gear), to move the cam centerline during operation to optimize the ENTIRE power curve.

All of the desired cam position is controlled in the calibration file.

At idle the phaser is fully parked (fully advanced). As engine rpm increases and depending on the cam specs, you will be able to start retarding the cam to help upper rpm power, and to carry power past peak better.

Now what is wrong with being able to degree a cam, on the fly?

GPI is a performance division of a dealership. Look we see tons of vehicles come through for all types of repairs, and since the Phaser was introduced on the LS engines, I have not seen 1 failure. I have made an unbelievable amount of track passes, dyno runs and everything in between. My rev limit is 7600, and I shift around 7000 rpm.

SO,
VVT is NOT noisy, its just a hydraulic actuator
VVT is NOT problematic.

VVT IS more versatile and smaller grinds vs their ls3 rivals can make equal or better power.
VVT IS the future. New vettes, new truck, new cars. Period. Actually we will have variable ratio rocker arms before too long....

Its not just for EGR, and the only reason to NOT utilize it is if your tuner doesn't know what he is doing, or if they don't understand what cam degreeing is. At either point, its time to find a competent shop to perform your work.

Let me know if you guys have any questions.

Ryan
Old 01-10-2014, 05:36 PM

Yup that post is spot on.

VVT helps to maximize power tp the best fo its ability... i was just explaining that since it is a single cam a move that is beneficial to the intake valve timing is not the correct move for exhaust valve timing. So while it is beneficial, its not as beneficial as the idea of changing cam timing could be. If the intake and exhaust timing could be moved independently then the gains would be significantly better.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
Damn thats raspy! I absolutely LOVE corsa, but I think it may be a bit much for me with an ORY.
its got a lot more rasp in person..i loveeee the sound it was alil to quiet so when I put the headers on I made up a ory pipe...and its wayyy louder then I wanted ..but atleast it sounds good and not like a derby truck with a ton of drone.. shouldn't be any problem noticing the lumpy cam once its in..haha
I have to admit I did get a kick out of using the remote start when someone is walkin up on it and scare the crap out of random people haha

ive had a few different corsa's and il never buy anything else every again im sold for life..
Old 01-10-2014, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Truck sounds good ive been wanting a corsa sport but scared itll be too raspy..but i do have kooks high flow cats maybe rasp wont be to agressive
Old 01-10-2014, 11:23 PM

If rasp does become a real problem a small bullet resonator usually does the trick
Old 01-11-2014, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

62nalide: A toast to Rhino 79 for that little write up , and to you for posting it . That's the most coherent explanation of VVT I've seen.

Quick Reply: cam time for the denali! :) heads or intake worth it?