Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

cam time for the denali! :) heads or intake worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TIM Z
Cool project , take pics and keep us updated .

Your truck is running strong pre-cam , should see mid 13s or better with the cam / converter .

Will you have enough injector ? I know our' flex fuel nalis have 36 lb/hr injectors , pumps I've read will provide enough fuel 600horse .

Is Zippy working with you to retune this ? And with your current tune did mail order or live tune it ? 13.9 is damn strong for tune /exhaust

Also I need to reaserch doing a cam swap with VVT , doesn't seem too bad , without searching specs is the cam you chose a VVT grind ?
thanks!..it better see a lot better then 3 or 4 tenths tho to..theres another denali that's 2wd that LMR put together that runs 12.4s n/a

I think I should be fine with my injectors but if not that's no a big deal to upgrade.

yes ive been working with zippy on it..i was planning on running a vvt cam..but after some long talks with him. he convinced me that the vvt is basicly worthless and a waste to try to keep since it doesn't effectively work how its presented to. I had a second cam picked out basicly the one that LMR used..but he wasn't crazy about that one either..im running the one he strongly suggested and after looking at the number I really think im gonna like it a lot. hes never steered me wrong and all my vehicles ive worked with him on tunes have ran veryyyy strong. I bought hp tuners so I can just log and send it to him and he sends it back. that way I can skip the mail order down time.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by shaw_426hemi
I guess if your taking the heads off and want them decked why not, I considered doing it myself but wasnt sure of the real gain i would see for the price. That stall is going to Rip for sure tho, if you havent driven with one before, be ready for a large change in daily driving.
well lucky I can get any time of machining done cheap..good friend of my is a well known builder and can machine ANYTHING

well my Camaro has a 5400 stall in it and I drive that on the street soo I probly well hardly notice haha
Old 01-08-2014, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
Tim I don't believe thats a VVT cam. I think it uses the LSL lobes you have in your truck but I could be mistaken. Its a 223/231.

With a converter this thing will be good for a 12 IMO. I don't think its too much to ask out of a cam and converter combo to drop a second off your times. Especially bumping power to the right on the curve when you have a 6 speed with really small shift extensions.
your 100% correct..noooo more vvt for me! and yes its a
223 231 .610 .617 112° I also think its safe to expect 12s..id really like to pull off a 11.99999 out of the truck with a few more things because I couldn't get there with my supercharged SS...but one step at a time..im hoping for 12s and thinking some more gear would get me alil deeper in the 12s
Old 01-08-2014, 05:56 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rice eater 03
thanks!..it better see a lot better then 3 or 4 tenths tho to..theres another denali that's 2wd that LMR put together that runs 12.4s n/a

I think I should be fine with my injectors but if not that's no a big deal to upgrade.

yes ive been working with zippy on it..i was planning on running a vvt cam..but after some long talks with him. he convinced me that the vvt is basicly worthless and a waste to try to keep since it doesn't effectively work how its presented to. I had a second cam picked out basicly the one that LMR used..but he wasn't crazy about that one either..im running the one he strongly suggested and after looking at the number I really think im gonna like it a lot. hes never steered me wrong and all my vehicles ive worked with him on tunes have ran veryyyy strong. I bought hp tuners so I can just log and send it to him and he sends it back. that way I can skip the mail order down time.
Thanks for the info on the VVT, I'll have to reaserch on what all is needed to delete it , I think keeping it simple and reliable like all the other non VVT cammed LS engines out there is a good thing .

Glad to hear your injectors may be good , nice not to have to mess with the fuel system .

12 flat or lower I like the sound of that for an N/A daily driver !

Cool that zippy is working with ya on the tuning /setup , he knows his stuff ,
He built my first 60e back in '05 when he lived in Muskegon , he's a blast .
So he's got the 6speed shifting good too ?

If ya got any exhaust vids or truck pics post em !
Old 01-08-2014, 06:15 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

11's are definitely possible... but it aint gonna happen without some sort of power adder.

I think a lot of those denali's you are talking about were 2wd which means they were down a couple hundred pounds compared to you and I'm sure were running on a really light drag wheel/tire combo.

With the cam you chose I would venture a guess that it will run about a 12.8 or so depending on the converter choice.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine went 13.2 just like in my sig with stock converter so im sure you can get your 12 sec pass

Im shooting for 12.5 full weight myself
Old 01-09-2014, 07:00 AM
On The Tree

You should be pretty happy with those changes. Wont be able to kick the back end around but not much will be able to touch it at a stoplight. I havent run the quarter yet but im thinkin that my truck 12's with et street drags no problem. I'm 2wd with similar mods.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TIM Z
Thanks for the info on the VVT, I'll have to reaserch on what all is needed to delete it , I think keeping it simple and reliable like all the other non VVT cammed LS engines out there is a good thing .

Glad to hear your injectors may be good , nice not to have to mess with the fuel system .

12 flat or lower I like the sound of that for an N/A daily driver !

Cool that zippy is working with ya on the tuning /setup , he knows his stuff ,
He built my first 60e back in '05 when he lived in Muskegon , he's a blast .
So he's got the 6speed shifting good too ?

If ya got any exhaust vids or truck pics post em !
heres the parts list if you need to ditch the vvt and or dod..
GM front timing cover
GM Lifter guides (4)
GM Front cover gasket
GM Head gasket (2)
GM Head bolt kit (2)
GM Valley cover
GM lifter kit (comes with all 16 lifters)
GM Water pump gaskets (2)
GM Crankshaft bolt
GM Camshaft sprocket
GM Camshaft sprocket bolts (3)

12 flat or lower from a N/A dd is my dream however I know I don't think il be able to get there.
yep still workin with zippy all the time. was easier when he was still in Muskegon.. I was out in vegas and stop by to check out his new shop a few months ago..had some big power cars there to
and yessss he can make a monster out of the 6speeds with just tuning mine is perfect!!!..did a buddy of mines 2013 with a 5.3 and bolt ons and that damn thing gets rubber it 2nd and 3rd I couldn't belive it haha!
Old 01-09-2014, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
11's are definitely possible... but it aint gonna happen without some sort of power adder.

I think a lot of those denali's you are talking about were 2wd which means they were down a couple hundred pounds compared to you and I'm sure were running on a really light drag wheel/tire combo.

With the cam you chose I would venture a guess that it will run about a 12.8 or so depending on the converter choice.
yep I agree 100%..well maybe 75%..it can be done n/a just would probly need some more cubic inchs.haha..altho zippy did say we could make my denali faster then my SS (12.3 ) with out a blower..but ive yet to figure out how

yes your correct the truck I was talking about was badassvho..which is 2wd im not sure what a 2wd cc weighs in at. ive seen 2wd ext cabs come in at about 5000lbs..so im sure a cc would be 5300ish?? mine comes in at 5680lbs..soo even with equal hp I cant catch badassvho's 12.4s obviously
Old 01-09-2014, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by iamkeniff
Mine went 13.2 just like in my sig with stock converter so im sure you can get your 12 sec pass

Im shooting for 12.5 full weight myself
yeah I would be pretty damn happy with that also! I think that's a very realist goal!! my goal is to beat my old truck..thats gonna be tricky. that damn thing 60ft so hard (1.67). I don't know if I can ever get out of the hole fast enough with this truck.

did you see much gain with the tb and ud pulley?

Quick Reply: cam time for the denali! :) heads or intake worth it?