Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

cam time for the denali! :) heads or intake worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam time for the denali! :) heads or intake worth it?

alright ive been out of the came for awhile after buying a house..well its time to get back to playin..just got my cam 273Lr HR12..need to get springs still...I was thinking since the heads have to come off now would be the time to throw heads on it..but from what I remember it really wasn't worth doing? don't these heads flow 300+ @600 ? what about intake? I know some people were trying out the fast intake. some issues I remember on the 6.0s..but what about on the 6.2? help me shake the rust of my brain and get this thing movin!! lol any suggestions?
Old 12-26-2013, 04:28 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

No need to change either. Its a healthy size cam that you will hear at idle for sure, but its not that big. Your heads will absolutely be fine, and your intake will give you great under the curve power. There is better to be had, sure, but not without their own downfalls.

Why do the heads need to come off? Are you getting a converter to go with this cam? That will give you much better seat of the pants gain than heads would at this point. Something like a 3000 stall would be more than enough to keep this thing on the boil at all times. Between that and the 6 speed you're gonna have a burner on your hands!
Old 12-26-2013, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Don't mess with the heads (other than some port work or maybe some milling) nor intake manifold. Only upgrade your head springs for the cam swap and upgrade the stall converter. A 3000 stall as mentioned above will be a good choice.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

I assumed it would be easier to degree the cam with the heads off..and also setting the install height of the springs.. maybe on these motors its not that hard.

but I was considering doin playing with the stock heads alil..is there much to gain with deckin the heads? and how much? alil port work wouldn't be a problem if there already off..again if theres much to gain that is.

yes I was planning on doing a stall hoping I can find someone selling there 3200ish circle d for a reasonable price I saw a few in the past but was to late. if I can save money on that then I gonna throw some gears in it.some 4.56 would do the trick.haha wonder if anyone makes a 4.33ish gear that would be perfect
Old 12-28-2013, 08:28 AM
On The Tree

Ok here's the plan I think. I think il deck the heads .20. Throw in the cam . Found a 3400 circle d stall from member on here. And 4.30 gear front and rear
Old 12-28-2013, 10:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

deck the heads 040 for a very nice increase in compression. now as for port work dont get crazy...just a light clean up and bowl work. yes bowl work will reduce the CC of the head then lower compression. you can run a thinner head gasket to pick up some CR also.
as for the PTV issue the reliefs are on the wrong side honestly.
you want 080 ptv clearance honestly.

as for oem head with oem head gasket milled 040 that should give you plenty or clearance. now as the thinner head gasket goes i dont know bc i didnt do the math.

oem head gasket is 051
cosmetic head gaskets can range a lot. if you did the cosmetics i vote 040 with a 030 mill of the head or maybe even a 035 to get some good compression. now keep in mind this is WITH bowl work. without eh id do oem head gaskets with that 030-040 mill.

my heads are 040 with bowl work so it lost 2cc on the heads. intake fits perfect.

do a trunion upgrade with arp head bolts cam bolts cam plate bolts and crank bolt IMHO.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:52 AM
TECH Regular

I guess if your taking the heads off and want them decked why not, I considered doing it myself but wasnt sure of the real gain i would see for the price. That stall is going to Rip for sure tho, if you havent driven with one before, be ready for a large change in daily driving.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:51 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool project , take pics and keep us updated .

Your truck is running strong pre-cam , should see mid 13s or better with the cam / converter .

Will you have enough injector ? I know our' flex fuel nalis have 36 lb/hr injectors , pumps I've read will provide enough fuel 600horse .

Is Zippy working with you to retune this ? And with your current tune did mail order or live tune it ? 13.9 is damn strong for tune /exhaust

Also I need to reaserch doing a cam swap with VVT , doesn't seem too bad , without searching specs is the cam you chose a VVT grind ?
Old 01-08-2014, 08:42 AM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Tim I don't believe thats a VVT cam. I think it uses the LSL lobes you have in your truck but I could be mistaken. Its a 223/231.

With a converter this thing will be good for a 12 IMO. I don't think its too much to ask out of a cam and converter combo to drop a second off your times. Especially bumping power to the right on the curve when you have a 6 speed with really small shift extensions.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by iamkeniff
deck the heads 040 for a very nice increase in compression. now as for port work dont get crazy...just a light clean up and bowl work. yes bowl work will reduce the CC of the head then lower compression. you can run a thinner head gasket to pick up some CR also.
as for the PTV issue the reliefs are on the wrong side honestly.
you want 080 ptv clearance honestly.

as for oem head with oem head gasket milled 040 that should give you plenty or clearance. now as the thinner head gasket goes i dont know bc i didnt do the math.

oem head gasket is 051
cosmetic head gaskets can range a lot. if you did the cosmetics i vote 040 with a 030 mill of the head or maybe even a 035 to get some good compression. now keep in mind this is WITH bowl work. without eh id do oem head gaskets with that 030-040 mill.

my heads are 040 with bowl work so it lost 2cc on the heads. intake fits perfect.

do a trunion upgrade with arp head bolts cam bolts cam plate bolts and crank bolt IMHO.
Great info...thank you very much..i didn't think I could get away with 40 and stock gaskets..thats probly what il end up doing.. do you have any recommondations on springs? ive seen some issues with some.

Quick Reply: cam time for the denali! :) heads or intake worth it?