Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Cam Change for 6.2 VVT

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 02:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cam Change for 6.2 VVT

Has anyone installed the Comp Cams XFI SPR Cam and Phaser Limiter kit for the Gen IV VVT engines?
Comp has 4 grinds in this series, all of which require the installation of the Cam Phaser Limiter to change the VVT range from 50 degrees to 20 degrees (to avoid valve to piston clearance issues) as well as Comp 918 Beehive springs.
According to Comp's website, the biggest cam (222/236 degree @.050" & .566"/.578 lift &114 LSA) is good for 71 HP over the stock L92 cam!! 500 HP @ the flywheel!!! I read somewhere that this was with headers which was good for the initial 30 hp gain over the stock L92 manifolds.
If this is true, and there are no other issues, this is one hell of an upgrade, so I'm interested in knowing what the degree of difficulty is for the install with the VVT cam phaser, since the LS engines are otherwise a breeze to change cams.
I would probably go with one of the smaller cams, but imagine what this engine could do with a cam upgrade, 1 7/8" headers and the Radix Max!
Old 01-08-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that really isn't that big of a cam for a 6.2L...but yes there is a ton of potential in these motors due to them having high compression and awesome flowing heads but very small stock camshaft.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

You may want to pm allen nelson,im pretty sure he has done this swap.
Man keep us posted on whatever setup you go with cause that bish is gonna run.
Also badazzvho may chime in...good luck
Old 01-08-2009, 04:29 PM
Teching In

Have you heard of These guys? Mast motorsports they
too have cams available.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by harp
Have you heard of These guys? Mast motorsports they
too have cams available.
They are sponsor over on LS1tech. if you can afford them they make VVT cams and nice HP!
http://www.mastmotorsports.com/page....Camshaft&id=30
Old 01-08-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Resident

I've had two of Mast Motorsports cams in mine. Both VVT great service and even better power. I'd go that way as I've got more lift and duration without a VVT limiter.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

I actually spoke to one of the guys from Mast at the LSX Shootout in Memphis in 2007 and he was telling me then that they were doing special grinds for the VVT, but gave me the impression that it was all in the grind i.e. short duration/ relatively low lift. That was well over a year ago though, so who knows what they have now. I've heard nothing but good things about them and they're definitely the pioneers in VVT mod's IMO. At that time they were just selling crate motors and (I think) cam installations themselves.
What I like with the Comp Cam kit is that they are not only showing you the parts you need, but giving you dyno results, which I think, with their reputation, you can rely upon.
I'm seriously tempted to order on of these cams now, but I'm a little hesitant to tear into my motor right now because it only has 1800 miles on it so far. I also prefer not to be the first one to do it either, since experience has taught me that there is no such thing as a straightforward bolt on (or in) anymore...
Old 01-09-2009, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

I have the Mast Motorsports cam. Gained 80 rwhp or so with LT's and cats after tuning. The cam is pretty mild(don't need a stall), I would recommend getting an LS7 cam sensor so you can run one of the 50,000 LSX cams.
Don't forget; the cam bolt is torque to yield (one time use). Mast Motorsports did not send a new bolt with the cam, I had to overnight one from Maryland after quite a search.

Last edited by Iraq Sucks; 01-09-2009 at 09:38 AM. Reason: sp
Old 01-09-2009, 09:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MNC5
I've had two of Mast Motorsports cams in mine. Both VVT great service and even better power. I'd go that way as I've got more lift and duration without a VVT limiter.
Did you have Mast or someone else do the install? If so, do you know whether there were any issues with the cam install? Did it require major tuning?
I just took a look at their website and noticed that their stock cam L92 Crate Motor makes 450hp and their T1 (truck intake) HO makes 530 so it's a 80 hp gain we're looking at from one of their cams??
I wonder how they get away with that much lift and duration without the phaser limiter (maybe by programming the ECM to limit the VVT??) Anyone know?
I also notice that they use the M-90 ECM (which they sell as well) on their crate motors whereas our trucks have the E38?
Old 01-09-2009, 09:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Iraq Sucks
I have the Mast Motorsports cam. Gained 90 hp or so with LT's with cats. The cam is pretty mild, I would recommend getting an LS7 cam sensor so you can run one of the 50,000 LSX cams.
****!! That thing must be an animal! What does it run in the 1/8 or 1/4? How do you like the HP Tuners? Did you remove the Torque Management and, if so, did that make a big difference?
BTW: which cam did you install- the L92 HO?

Quick Reply: Cam Change for 6.2 VVT