Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Cam Change for 6.2 VVT

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far my best 1/8th mile time is 9.08 @78. I let someone that has a clue mess w/ the HP tuners. Torque management is long gone and made a considerable difference. I have the stage 1 cam (it's made for use w/ the truck intake).
Old 01-09-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

That's pretty damn impressive, like a 14.2 1/4 mile ET I think. I take it your truck is AWD like mine? Now I know what to look forward to. My best so far is a 9.6 at 73, so you're obviously making a lot more power than me with that cam. I only have the Volant CAI now and I'm gonna go with the ARH headers without cats soon and probably then the Cam change. I'll order the HP Tuners next week since I have a couple of friends who are really good with that and the EFI Live as well. My truck really lays down off the line (like a 2.25sec. 60' ) and I can literally feel it slow down and almost slip on the shifts, so I think tuning the tranny should be good for at least a tenth or two.
Thanks for the info (and the inspiration).
BTW: I think Yank is making a higher stall convertor for the 6L90 now. THAT should wake you up!
Old 01-10-2009, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

I insisted on the 2 wheel drive version for tuning reasons... No 4 wheel dyno in the area. I want a 3000 stall but might lose time for spinning. Good luck.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Iraq Sucks
So far my best 1/8th mile time is 9.08 @78. I let someone that has a clue mess w/ the HP tuners. Torque management is long gone and made a considerable difference. I have the stage 1 cam (it's made for use w/ the truck intake).
my best 1/8 mile time for my 08 denali 7.89 @87mph we have similar set up except i have a stall...my truck ran 14.30's bone stock @98mph in 90 deg weather and 14.1 reving out the govenor @99mph with a cai....If you have a 2wd you will have traction problems with a stall even with drag radial's i never took a pass with slick's yet.best time on 17 inch drags not even stalling up was 12.40's @107mph
Old 01-11-2009, 04:13 PM
On The Tree

I wish I could gain 1.2 seconds with a stall...what are your cam specs? All wheel drive? Maby you just have a better tune than I. Congrats
Old 01-12-2009, 03:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Iraq Sucks
I wish I could gain 1.2 seconds with a stall...what are your cam specs? All wheel drive? Maby you just have a better tune than I. Congrats
226/226 581 112lsa 2 wheel drive...........I have a wheatley tune.thanks
Old 01-12-2009, 08:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BADD *** VHO
my best 1/8 mile time for my 08 denali 7.89 @87mph we have similar set up except i have a stall...my truck ran 14.30's bone stock @98mph in 90 deg weather and 14.1 reving out the govenor @99mph with a cai....If you have a 2wd you will have traction problems with a stall even with drag radial's i never took a pass with slick's yet.best time on 17 inch drags not even stalling up was 12.40's @107mph
HOLY CRAP! I'm kicking myself now for insisting on the AWD! If you don't mind me asking, who built your Converter? And who's cam are you running?
What I find interesting is that everyone insists that you have to have a wide duration split between intake and exhaust on the L92 because the intake flows so much better than the exhaust, but you're running equal duration and a tight LSA and it's obviously working! It must sound pretty beastly too. Are you running headers?
Way to go man, running 12.40's in a 5000 lb. Crew Cab is kickin ***!
BTW: You wouldn't happen to be that guy on You Tube with the Black Denali in Houston, would you? The one that kicks Corvette ***??? That thing is a beast!
Old 01-12-2009, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CI DENALI
HOLY CRAP! I'm kicking myself now for insisting on the AWD! If you don't mind me asking, who built your Converter? And who's cam are you running?
What I find interesting is that everyone insists that you have to have a wide duration split between intake and exhaust on the L92 because the intake flows so much better than the exhaust, but you're running equal duration and a tight LSA and it's obviously working! It must sound pretty beastly too. Are you running headers?
Way to go man, running 12.40's in a 5000 lb. Crew Cab is kickin ***!
BTW: You wouldn't happen to be that guy on You Tube with the Black Denali in Houston, would you? The one that kicks Corvette ***??? That thing is a beast!
LMR did all the work its a custom 3k stall lt dynatechs with ory pipe and electric cut out and i am the guy with the black denali from houston... i have a video on here multi-media titled team baddass or on you tube sonnysrt4 or baddassdenali
Old 01-13-2009, 08:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BADD *** VHO
LMR did all the work its a custom 3k stall lt dynatechs with ory pipe and electric cut out and i am the guy with the black denali from houston... i have a video on here multi-media titled team baddass or on you tube sonnysrt4 or baddassdenali
You the man! If I could get my truck to run like yours, I'd park my race car! Obviously that Wheatley tune is working too!
My major problem is that I'm overseas, and since I knew that I already needed a tune (mainly for the tranny), I had sent Charlie Wheatley an e-mail before X-mas about getting a tune from him and he came back and said that he also needed to tune the TCM so he needed the truck to come in, which of course isn't doable. He's really seems to be a decent fellow - no BS, could've told me to send the ECM and I wouldnt have been the wiser. Props to him, and he obviously knows what he's doing. I've got a bunch of friends w/ Vettes down here: 2 C5s w/ head/cam &N20, a LS2 C6 with a Novi and LG modded LS7 Z06, all of whom are trying to tune w/ EFI Live and HP Tuners, so I know the grief involved in tuning these things. Maybe I should try to get them to all to chip in and sponsor a plane ticket and fly Wheatley in for a couple of days!
Old 01-28-2009, 04:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a look a GM HTP this month they did a quick write up on this. Engine made good power. I thought there would be more to offer but still impressive.

Quick Reply: Cam Change for 6.2 VVT