Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

adding a back up camera with factory nav 08 denali

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adding a back up camera with factory nav 08 denali

i just bought an 08 denali with nav..and i made the mistake of thinking if they had nav it would be standered to have a backup camera...opps...sooo i need to add one...from my understand if the truck is prewired if i pulled they lic plate off there should be some sort of harness cliped on or right by the opening..but the only thing i see is the harness toward the driver side about 6inchs or so away from the opening..so im guessing my truck isnt pre wired

sooo whats the best bang for the buck for a kit...i think there like 399 from the dealer..and u can get them off ebay for 150ish..just not sure if the ebay kits are good...ive noticed some diff cameras too..i like the ones with the nightvision i belive which ever ones thos are
Old 09-10-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

the kit is about 350 bucks but it uses all factory stuff and taps into the bcm . you need to program your truck with a tech 2 as well. not hard but get a quality one , you need to drill a couple holes in the tail gate and bed and install the new tail gate bezel , i added the lock to the tailgate as well.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

is it really worth spending 2x as much tho...i assumed they would both hook up the same way..just seemed like a big price diff if there using the same cameras
Old 09-11-2011, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am pretty sure you can't use the original radio if it never came with it. My stereo guy told me (same situation, Denali with no camera) that a Lockpick was the only option.

I am pretty sure it is called the Lockpick Gen6 and it will allow 360* of cameras, input of Nav while driving, and DVD while moving. He has done plenty and never had anything bad to say. All plug and play...
Old 09-11-2011, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gnasty1521
I am pretty sure you can't use the original radio if it never came with it. My stereo guy told me (same situation, Denali with no camera) that a Lockpick was the only option.

I am pretty sure it is called the Lockpick Gen6 and it will allow 360* of cameras, input of Nav while driving, and DVD while moving. He has done plenty and never had anything bad to say. All plug and play...
hmmm thats not what i wanted to hear..i diff dont wanna have to replace the nav unit with a diff nav unit

i remeber reading something about some years needed a lockpick and some not needing a lockpick i just cant remeber which years...i was hoping the input of nav would be as easy as it was to hack as my wifes 2010 acadica..all i had to do on that was cut the green wire with a white strip on the back of the nav unit and put a on off switch for like $3.00 and that solved that problem..still havent figured out the being able to watch dvds while moving yet tho...i really thought all the units were the same..
Old 09-12-2011, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No no. You can use the original head unit with that Lockpick Module. It allows you to have these features with the original GM Navigation Head Unit.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:59 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It can be done without a lock pic. Pins 6 & 7 are for the Camera. Then get someone with a tech2 to turn on the pins. I bought a cable from a member on denalitrucks.com. But, I have been too busy to get it all installed.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

You can't just enable the camera using a tech 2. It has to have the camera calibrations in the VIN information before the radio will recognize it. I have not installed the OEM camera assembly but like other add on OEM parts you will probably have to call gm with a VCI authorization number that will add the camera option to your VIN. You then reprogram the radio and BCM using TIS 2 WEB and the CAN DI module and bada bing it all works.

THE ABOVE IS USING FACTORY PARTS IF THERE IS A WAY TO MAKE IT WORK USING NON OE PARTS THE ABOVE DOES NOT APPLY.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
You can't just enable the camera using a tech 2. It has to have the camera calibrations in the VIN information before the radio will recognize it. I have not installed the OEM camera assembly but like other add on OEM parts you will probably have to call gm with a VCI authorization number that will add the camera option to your VIN. You then reprogram the radio and BCM using TIS 2 WEB and the CAN DI module and bada bing it all works.

THE ABOVE IS USING FACTORY PARTS IF THERE IS A WAY TO MAKE IT WORK USING NON OE PARTS THE ABOVE DOES NOT APPLY.
well..that sounds like a pain in the ***..
Old 09-12-2011, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lockpick remedies all of this...

Quick Reply: adding a back up camera with factory nav 08 denali