Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

5.3 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 06:12 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 5.3 turbo

fairly new to posting builds on here but searched here for years. i know there are threads everywhere and I have an idea on which way I'm going to go. but I just wanted to see if I can run an internal waste gated turbo on my 5.3 instead of plumbing one in? I see them all over eBay and on diesels. also want a 4" downpipe if I can so I can get more power and lower rpm. I'm only looking to run 5-8 psi on stock daily driving and towing moderately but when I get together with my buddies I want to smoke the **** out of that 03 terminator stang! cant stand that supercharger wind. want turbo spool! either getting a Huron speed kit or using stock truck manifolds flipped then fab my own from an eBay kit. but want turbo,bov and waste gate to be solid. looking for fairly quick spool and low rpm power being I wont push this thing past 5k rpm unless running it, which is maybe 5 times a year. so want to be able to pump up the boost to maybe 10 or so. don't see myself ever going past that psi ever. I know you guys don't want to hear about my project unless I'm building it. but I need help. a simple yes or no would work but if you can tell me what it would take to make it work or why not would be great. thanks guys

specs:

stock 08 5.3
going with ls2 cam 1218 springs and 7.4 rods
new head gaskets
fuel pump to support fuel
60# injectors
basically stock except the easy basic stuff.
would like to keep this cheap as possible but not just 1000.

anyone have any experience or number with internal wasted gated turbo?
Old 01-14-2017, 10:23 PM
Launching!

No turbo guys out there huh?
Old 01-15-2017, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Most of the internally gated turbos on ebay and for diesels are way to small. And a 4" downpipe is massive over kill and won't gain you anything. 3" is plenty. I had a guy make 800hp on a 3" one time, lol.

For goals like that, I'd probably go with a Borg Warner S366. I have one on the 5.3 in my c10 and it's a blast on 9lbs. Super fast spool. But it's not gonna fit Huron pipes.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Most of the internally gated turbos on ebay and for diesels are way to small. And a 4" downpipe is massive over kill and won't gain you anything. 3" is plenty. I had a guy make 800hp on a 3" one time, lol.

For goals like that, I'd probably go with a Borg Warner S366. I have one on the 5.3 in my c10 and it's a blast on 9lbs. Super fast spool. But it's not gonna fit Huron pipes.
is that turbo a internal waste gate or are you basically saying stay away from the internal waste gate turbos?
Also is the 3" you're referring to making that power internally waste gated?
do you have a quick spool valve? thanks
Old 01-15-2017, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by chevykev
is that turbo a internal waste gate or are you basically saying stay away from the internal waste gate turbos?
Also is the 3" you're referring to making that power internally waste gated?
do you have a quick spool valve? thanks
The standard BW S366 is an externally gated turbo. I'm really not aware of a properly sized turbo for a 5.3 that is internally gated. You'll need something in the 66-72MM range for a 5.3 up to 10-12psi and keep spool near instant.

I've built hundreds of turbo setups over the years and they have always been externally gated. Much easier to control boost pressure because you can change the spring in them. Most internal gate actuators are a fixed spring unit and you can't change the spring in them and they aren't low enough for what you want.

Unless you go with some big T4 or T6 divided turbo, you don't need a quick spool valve. The S366 on my C10 spools VERY quick!
Old 01-15-2017, 08:25 PM
Launching!

The standard BW S366 is an externally gated turbo. I'm really not aware of a properly sized turbo for a 5.3 that is internally gated. You'll need something in the 66-72MM range for a 5.3 up to 10-12psi and keep spool near instant.

I've built hundreds of turbo setups over the years and they have always been externally gated. Much easier to control boost pressure because you can change the spring in them. Most internal gate actuators are a fixed spring unit and you can't change the spring in them and they aren't low enough for what you want.

Unless you go with some big T4 or T6 divided turbo, you don't need a quick spool valve. The S366 on my C10 spools VERY quick!
think I've seen some of your post. Look good and solid work. You sell kits right? Think I read that somewhere on this forum. Thanks for the info. Do you have specs on your kit and turbo set up on the s10 might like to copy some of it or get ideas. Any pics or vids?
Old 01-15-2017, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

think I've seen some of your post. Look good and solid work. You sell kits right? Think I read that somewhere on this forum. Thanks for the info. Do you have specs on your kit and turbo set up on the s10 might like to copy some of it or get ideas. Any pics or vids?
I've been a sponsor on here for many years and have many build threads if you search my old post. I guess I don't have one of my 69 Chevy c10 pickup, probable should do that one of these days, lol. I've been selling turbo kits for these trucks for about 10 years now. My website is Home
Old 01-15-2017, 09:47 PM
Launching!

I've been a sponsor on here for many years and have many build threads if you search my old post. I guess I don't have one of my 69 Chevy c10 pickup, probable should do that one of these days, lol. I've been selling turbo kits for these trucks for about 10 years now. My website is Home
Where are you based out of?
Old 01-15-2017, 09:54 PM
Launching!

I'm actually interested in your hot side pipe kit. That comes with the crossover and downpipe with all the bung welds ready to go? I can probably pipe my own cold side with eBay parts not to bad. And the kit would make it easier and I can try out turbos to get it right. What turbo you recommend for my build and what does it run? Also have you ever heard or removing the silencer ring to get a turbo wind? Like the deisels?
Old 01-16-2017, 07:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

well it used to be down the street from my house, now not so much,

i think hes a hippy or runs a dispensary with the weirdos on the west coast or something.