Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

5.3 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by chevykev
yea I'd rather not deal with wiring and leave it for people to make it perfect. But if it's easier to buy as a complete unit like tranny and transfer case then I might go that route but the local tranny guy wants 1600 for 80e rebuilt and the 60e as a core. He wants 900 for the transfer case to for that tranny but I think it's easier to just change the output shaft in my stock 60e transfer case or is the 900 for a transfer case the cheaper route? I'm worried it won't bolt to my front dif or be too big/long? What should I do buy new tranny and transfer case or swap tranny and keep the stock transfer case and swap splines since it will be out when I swap trannies? Thanks don't have alot of experience in swapping trannie
The transfercase is pretty easy, just change the input splines on it. You just split the case and take it apart and swap input gear out. I did it on my truck in probably 30 min and I've never taken a T-case apart before. I think there is probable some YouTube vids on it too.

The pin out on the wiring is super easy to, If I remember wright, it's basically take one wire out, leave it out and swap a couple other wires, that's it!.

For drive shafts, you need to shorten the rear shaft about 1 11/16 and lengthen the front the same or find a shaft out of a 2500 truck with "5speed" (at least that what I had to tell the junkyard to to get the right one) and it bolts right in.

You'll also need the correct adaptor for the 80e to T-case. It's not the same as the 60e. And move the trans mount on the crossmember back too.

There is a whole writeup on here about the 80e swap in 4x4 truck too.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:15 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kbracing96
The transfercase is pretty easy, just change the input splines on it. You just split the case and take it apart and swap input gear out. I did it on my truck in probably 30 min and I've never taken a T-case apart before. I think there is probable some YouTube vids on it too.

The pin out on the wiring is super easy to, If I remember wright, it's basically take one wire out, leave it out and swap a couple other wires, that's it!.

For drive shafts, you need to shorten the rear shaft about 1 11/16 and lengthen the front the same or find a shaft out of a 2500 truck with "5speed" (at least that what I had to tell the junkyard to to get the right one) and it bolts right in.

You'll also need the correct adaptor for the 80e to T-case. It's not the same as the 60e. And move the trans mount on the crossmember back too.

There is a whole writeup on here about the 80e swap in 4x4 truck too.
do you have a link? I've searched. Also is it 27 to 31 spline swap or are 80e 32 spline?
Old 01-23-2017, 02:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

do you have a link? I've searched. Also is it 27 to 31 spline swap or are 80e 32 spline?

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...-4l80e-424904/
Old 01-23-2017, 10:37 PM
Launching!

Cool thanks. A lot of info but very spread out and a lot of reading lol. Think I have a guy that will install a rebuilt 80e and my stock transfer case and do the crossmember and everything if I swap the input shaft myself. He won't do that. He also doesn't do the tuning or the wiring so I need to figure that out if anything. But anyways he said 1600 for the 80e and 600 to install transfer case and tranny for 600. That's 2200 installed and 150 for the fluids for both. Wondering if that's worth it to have him do the headache part and I can just wire it myself or find a tranny shop that does it. All I have to do is swap wire in my stock 60e harness and then wire it to match the 80 and that's it? I looked and they don't make wire harnesses for my year truck(2008) but I read all I need to do is change pins around? Does this sound right or am I way off?lol the price I added up almost adds up to rebuilding my 60e but I'm getting a way stronger transmission in the 80e.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't worry it isn't a huge job to move a few wires around. The main thing is to find a tune that'll work ... and theres many out there. Have you done any tuning on the truck or have the trans tune handy? We need to find out if we can find a 4L80E tune from a van for your year that matches your operating system ... or your tuner has to check a few os's to see what works/talks with the ecm.
I can pull all the needed wiring pinouts from GM for your should you decide to go this route so we know what you need before getting into it. You should only need to swap a few wires and add the ISS like most swap threads say. First thing would be to crawl under and see if you have a PRNDL switch on the side of your 4L60E. If you do, that's 80% of the wiring already done haha
Check out my most recent thread on the 4L80E swap, you'll see what I went through is way worse than you will have it as mine's a 2009 and it was very slightly different enough to make it a pain in the *** to figure out. But its done!
I may even have a Speartech harness I can source for you that'll rake care of all the work; looks like the harnes I ended up with. A friend has it at his shop and he may wanna sell it cheap. Then all you have to do is swap pin 45 to 26 at the TCM and you're done!
Old 01-24-2017, 12:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mean Green z28
Don't worry it isn't a huge job to move a few wires around. The main thing is to find a tune that'll work ... and theres many out there. Have you done any tuning on the truck or have the trans tune handy? We need to find out if we can find a 4L80E tune from a van for your year that matches your operating system ... or your tuner has to check a few os's to see what works/talks with the ecm.
I can pull all the needed wiring pinouts from GM for your should you decide to go this route so we know what you need before getting into it. You should only need to swap a few wires and add the ISS like most swap threads say. First thing would be to crawl under and see if you have a PRNDL switch on the side of your 4L60E. If you do, that's 80% of the wiring already done haha
Check out my most recent thread on the 4L80E swap, you'll see what I went through is way worse than you will have it as mine's a 2009 and it was very slightly different enough to make it a pain in the *** to figure out. But its done!
thanks for the info. What do I look for to know if I have the prndl switch? Also no tuning yet but will when I put bolt ons. But tranny hasn't been touched. Oh yea that's ringing a bell now about the same year tune for my year truck from a van or Denali or something. But what would I have to do to "find" the tune? Like pull it off the actual camnornis this online or through program? So you'll pin me a new harness or Repin mine is what your saying? Thanks
Old 01-24-2017, 02:43 PM
11 Second Club

Look on the side of the transmission where the shifter cable goes, you'll see the PRNDL switch mounted there (if it's there ... should be there).

My buddy has the harness (pic attached). It's a direct plug and play harness that has the ISS already pinned in. I'll double check all the wiring to verify it'll work on yours (send me your VIN so I can verify wiring). The only thing you should have to do is move one wire on the TCM side. Or I can send you just a small stub, that you can insert at 26, then cut and crimp the wire going to 45 onto it ... not ideal, just makes it a bit easier as you don't have to take the connector apart to unpin it.

As for the tune, check with your tuner if he uses HPT or EFILive, then we'll have to track down a tune for a T42 TCM that'll work with the program ... or check with Frost if you can send him your T42 TCM and he can flash a 4L80E tune on it.

These harnesses should work with the stock tune (with a few changes), I just prefered to use a 4L80E tune as I'm stubborn
Here's the typical harness ... PCM of NC 4l60/70 to 4l80 Conversion Harness ? PCM of NC, Inc. ... description explains the PRDNL option
Here's the Frost Harness ... TunedByFrost.com - Products ... Frost harness keeps the PWM control of TCC by using a 2nd relay
Attached Thumbnails 5.3 turbo-16111472_1326841264005564_1517184356_n.jpg  
Old 01-24-2017, 07:17 PM
Launching!

Look on the side of the transmission where the shifter cable goes, you'll see the PRNDL switch mounted there (if it's there ... should be there).

My buddy has the harness (pic attached). It's a direct plug and play harness that has the ISS already pinned in. I'll double check all the wiring to verify it'll work on yours (send me your VIN so I can verify wiring). The only thing you should have to do is move one wire on the TCM side. Or I can send you just a small stub, that you can insert at 26, then cut and crimp the wire going to 45 onto it ... not ideal, just makes it a bit easier as you don't have to take the connector apart to unpin it.

As for the tune, check with your tuner if he uses HPT or EFILive, then we'll have to track down a tune for a T42 TCM that'll work with the program ... or check with Frost if you can send him your T42 TCM and he can flash a 4L80E tune on it.

These harnesses should work with the stock tune (with a few changes), I just prefered to use a 4L80E tune as I'm stubborn
Here's the typical harness ... PCM of NC 4l60/70 to 4l80 Conversion Harness ? PCM of NC, Inc. ... description explains the PRDNL option
Here's the Frost Harness ... TunedByFrost.com - Products ... Frost harness keeps the PWM control of TCC by using a 2nd relay
wow thanks for the info. That actually summed up what I was missing from all the research and different threads. Different strokes for different folks I guess and I seen people do it and it seemed more difficult. I'm looking for the easiest way so when the transmission is on the floor I can hook everything up that I need to on the floor then put it up. That harness should plug into my current stock 60e and function properly? I would rather have you send me a pin so I can slap it in as easy as possible. I don't want to had the wiring in my hands if you guys have done this before. I havnt. I'm looking to do the install though lol. What flexpkate can I run? Also cheapest possible and easiest. Thanks
Old 01-25-2017, 10:55 AM
11 Second Club

wow thanks for the info. That actually summed up what I was missing from all the research and different threads. Different strokes for different folks I guess and I seen people do it and it seemed more difficult. I'm looking for the easiest way so when the transmission is on the floor I can hook everything up that I need to on the floor then put it up. That harness should plug into my current stock 60e and function properly? I would rather have you send me a pin so I can slap it in as easy as possible. I don't want to had the wiring in my hands if you guys have done this before. I havnt. I'm looking to do the install though lol. What flexpkate can I run? Also cheapest possible and easiest. Thanks
As for flexplate, depends on what converter. If you're running a stock 4L80E/style converter, you'll need to run a 4L80E/truck style flexplate and crank spacer ring. If aftermarket stall, you can either have it built like a stock 4L80E converter or with the LS1 style front so it bolts right up to stock flywheel. I've done both haha, my stall converter was stock LS1 style snout so it bolted right up to a LS2 flywheel, but my stock 4L80E converter needed the truck style flywheel and crank spacer.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:45 AM
Launching!

As for flexplate, depends on what converter. If you're running a stock 4L80E/style converter, you'll need to run a 4L80E/truck style flexplate and crank spacer ring. If aftermarket stall, you can either have it built like a stock 4L80E converter or with the LS1 style front so it bolts right up to stock flywheel. I've done both haha, my stall converter was stock LS1 style snout so it bolted right up to a LS2 flywheel, but my stock 4L80E converter needed the truck style flywheel and crank spacer.
again what I'm doing is the cheapest easiest way to install the 80 in place of my 60. So if I dropped my 60e and was getting ready to install the 80 what is the easiest simplest flex plate to use for the 80. I would prefer leaving the stock one on and getting maybe a converter or getting a flex plate and keeping the stock converter hit I heard the 60 converter is not good for the 80 and the stock 80 converter should suffice. I might want to go a different stall route for towing since this is my tow rig to tow my track car. I'm not making big power with it anymore and have decided against the turbo and just going to do simple bolt ons and exhaust to get me more go. It's not a speed machine. My speed machine will be my s10 track turbo truck. So what's the best flexplate converter combo easiest to get hold of parts and also cheapest? Links help thanks