GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Ordered Whipple

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BrutalSierra
Looking forward to an update! Please add some more bolt on's lol
Lol, there is not much else, for power, that I'm going to put on! This is my DD after all. I do plan on going with ARH LT's some time next year with a muffler change (maybe). I'm also going to look into a new, high speed balanced, drive shaft. Even further down the road I'm going to go for a built tranny with a new converter. Otherwise, I'm just going to continue making minor improvements to the current configuration. This fall, I'm going to go with a 2 bar MAP and supporting tune, and the front brakes are in need of an upgrade. Other than that, I will be satisfied if I can crack 12's in my "White Whale" as I call it.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Boober
Lol, there is not much else, for power, that I'm going to put on! This is my DD after all. I do plan on going with ARH LT's some time next year with a muffler change (maybe). I'm also going to look into a new, high speed balanced, drive shaft. Even further down the road I'm going to go for a built tranny with a new converter. Otherwise, I'm just going to continue making minor improvements to the current configuration. This fall, I'm going to go with a 2 bar MAP and supporting tune, and the front brakes are in need of an upgrade. Other than that, I will be satisfied if I can crack 12's in my "White Whale" as I call it.
Longtubes, converter, new tune I guarantee you your truck will be in 12's all day long!

But yes a balanced driveshaft should be on top of this list! If you go this weekend take a video.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's possible that you might dip into a 12 with your current setup. You're 2wd right?
Old 09-22-2011, 05:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bdubb
It's possible that you might dip into a 12 with your current setup. You're 2wd right?
No, I'm AWD. It's my goal to try cracking 12's before winter. I think it is possible with a little work. From my last trip I will have changed: removed speed limiter (probably cost me a tenth or 2 plus at least 1
MPH at the end), change shift points (according to my calculations, i will hit 109 mph at 6k rpm in third gear which would, theoretically, eliminate the 3-4 shift) though I'm going to spend a good while trying to find the best fit for 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 shifts. Ive stepped down a pulley size and gained a little over 2psi. I have a few more days with the change and it feels pretty significant. I'm thinking that the added boost should be good for a half second.

I will try that configuration next before I tackle changing over to 2 bar MAP and changing around the VE tables. If I don't crack 12's by then, I should be knocking on the door.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:14 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

What is your AFR at WO? Make sure you are not going lean. No leaner then 11.8 IMO
Old 09-23-2011, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
What is your AFR at WO? Make sure you are not going lean. No leaner then 11.8 IMO
It varies for sure. I don't have my new interface yet so I can't get a good scan log yet, but from initial WOT, it's from 12.2-12.4 then moves to about 12.0-11.7 at peak boost until shift. A few times, I have seen it go as low as 11.5 from about 4k to 5,800. It's frustrating not having my scanner to log runs.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:31 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In the 12's at WOT is too lean. If that is in fact true, I'd say stay out of boost until you get properly tuned.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
In the 12's at WOT is too lean. If that is in fact true, I'd say stay out of boost until you get properly tuned.
I've looked at dozens of scan logs of various boosted applications (from good tunes) over the last few weeks and ALL have AFR in the 12's at some point in WOT. In nearly every case, they are below 3,500 rpm and transition toward 11.9-11.5 at shift. My tune is no different. Above about 3,200 rpm, it is at 12.0 or below. I have a made comparisons between the pulley changes and the AFR is nearly identical at WOT throughout the engine speed. Also, of the dozens of scan logs, not once has the KR pulled timing.

I am also currently knee deep in new SD tuning for the new VE coefficients, so I am already making small adjustments to go slightly richer at WOT, and the main reason I'm doing that is that I don't have a $12,000 UEGO so I would rather error on the side of rich if I cant fully trust my $300 UEGO. I may be relatively new to tuning with HP Tuners, but I'm a quick study and I'm not some bumbling idiot who is going to slap on a supercharger and drive around going full throttle every chance I get.

Sorry, I don't mean for that to sound defensive.

Last edited by Boober; 09-23-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:02 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Boober
I've looked at dozens of scan logs of various boosted applications (from good tunes) over the last few weeks and ALL have AFR in the 12's at some point in WOT. In nearly every case, they are below 3,500 rpm and transition toward 11.9-11.5 at shift. My tune is no different. Above about 3,200 rpm, it is at 12.0 or below. I have a made comparisons between the pulley changes and the AFR is nearly identical at WOT throughout the engine speed. Also, of the dozens of scan logs, not once has the KR pulled timing.

I am also currently knee deep in new SD tuning for the new VE coefficients, so I am already making small adjustments to go slightly richer at WOT, and the main reason I'm doing that is that I don't have a $12,000 UEGO so I would rather error on the side of rich if I cant fully trust my $300 UEGO. I may be relatively new to tuning with HP Tuners, but I'm a quick study and I'm not some bumbling idiot who is going to slap on a supercharger and drive around going full throttle every chance I get.

Sorry, I don't mean for that to sound defensive.
Sounds like you got it under control... No sense adding my .02
Old 09-23-2011, 06:40 PM
Man Motor club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick Reply: Ordered Whipple