Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

zo6 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 11:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default zo6 upgrade

hello after doing the search engine im having a hard time finding information on the zo6 brake upgrade. can someone help me out here also has anyone done the cts-v brake conversion i was reading on the ss forum of people talking about it i found the front calipers and rotors for around 650 bucks but i want to know first if its possible also does anyone make the bracket to bolt on the caliper?
Old 05-23-2012, 11:28 PM
Fastest D1 Procharged Truck

look for Rudy91040 he's got the brackets just type his name in on the search button very nice guy to talk to
Old 05-30-2012, 02:58 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the kind words twolow.
gmc6.0, if you are looking for the the brackets to put Z06 calipers on your truck I have some left. If you want to use the CTS-V caliper I don't know if it will work or not. I have not had a set in my hands to compare to the Z06 calipers. But more than likely you won't need the stock CTS-V rotors. I could be wrong. I believe the CTS-V are 5 lug and the offset of the rotor is probably way different as well as the rotor "hat" dimensions if not all dimensions. I don't know what the stock CTS-V rotor size is, but I'd be very surprised if it was 15". The reason the brackets I make are built around a 15" rotor is that anything smaller than a 15" rotor with the Z06 caliper will result in a good amount of the brake pads hanging off the rotor unused. If you have any of questions feel free to ask me here or pm me.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:22 AM
Man Motor club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First-gen CTS-Vs are a 6-bolt 14.4" disc but aren't the same bolt spacing as the Silverado, and the Brembo calipers are the same as those used on the current Camaro SS's. Second-gen CTS-Vs are a five-bolt pattern and are 14.6" up front and 14.4" out back, with 6-piston front Brembos and 4-piston rears. Everything I read indicates that the Brembo calipers on the current V are the same as those used on the carbon-ceramic rotors of the ZR1 (which exceed 15 inches in diameter, so you could certainly use them with a 15" aftermarket Silverado rotor).
Old 05-30-2012, 03:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rjwz28
First-gen CTS-Vs are a 6-bolt 14.4" disc but aren't the same bolt spacing as the Silverado, and the Brembo calipers are the same as those used on the current Camaro SS's. Second-gen CTS-Vs are a five-bolt pattern and are 14.6" up front and 14.4" out back, with 6-piston front Brembos and 4-piston rears. Everything I read indicates that the Brembo calipers on the current V are the same as those used on the carbon-ceramic rotors of the ZR1 (which exceed 15 inches in diameter, so you could certainly use them with a 15" aftermarket Silverado rotor).
That's some good info. Any idea if the Z06 calipers are a direct swap for CTS-V or how close in size, mounting points, etc?
Old 05-30-2012, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Rudy just curious how many sets you have left? Me and my cousin both plan on doing the swap very soon, i just don't want you to run out before than lol....
Old 05-30-2012, 06:36 PM
Man Motor club

No idea. I can tell you I'd personally rather have the CTS-V/ZR1 Brembo calipers than the Z06 PBRs, and not for the name: every piston on the Z06 has its own pad (6 pistons, six small pads) while the Brembos have a more traditional two pad setup, which I just prefer. Considering that the Brembos give up zero performance to the PBRs, I'd much rather have them.
I'm sure it wouldn't take too much to adapt the Z06-adapter brackets to accommodate the Brembos, and worst case scenario you could probably buy the Z06 pieces, take your Brembos to a local fab guy, and have him make the same basic piece for the Brembos if they just won't work for the V/ZR1 brakes for some reason.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:25 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are plenty of pad suppliers for the Z06 calipers that get rid of the "padlets" and convert to big single pad per side.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 89LS1FOXER
Hey Rudy just curious how many sets you have left? Me and my cousin both plan on doing the swap very soon, i just don't want you to run out before than lol....
I have more than a few sets left. I'm not sure if I will make another run when everything I have is gone. But no rush. Like I said, I still have plenty for a while.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:46 PM
Man Motor club

Yeah, I like the Z06 brake's reputation, and am aware of the aftermarket fullsize pads; however, I never want to have to depend on a unique aftermarket solution to be there when I need to change brake pads or any other component on a vehicle. I guess it's just personal preference. Also, the Z06 brakes aren't used in any other factory application that I'm aware of, whereas the Brembos are available on many vehicles and likely will continue to be for years to come. I like that.

Quick Reply: zo6 upgrade