Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Whats next from GM? 2005 and beyond?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 01:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats next from GM? 2005 and beyond?

I am in the market for a truck. As it stands right not the truck will not be a GM even though I am a GM man at heart. I could hold off for a while if I knew GM was going to crank out something special. Here are some things I was looking into. If you have any info on any of these please let me know.

5 speed auto tranny for half ton
Turbo "D" for half ton
Displacement on Demand for half ton
T56 in half ton
New more powerful motors for half ton
New font clip

Almost any one of these might sway me to GM.

Thanks Guys

BTW, Ford sucks so dont worry about that.
Old 03-05-2004, 03:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

all those and more, is coming in one way or another.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really think that is too much to ask from GM in 05. I would be happy if they just offered a 6.0 on the 1/2 ton.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:15 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiburon
I really think that is too much to ask from GM in 05. I would be happy if they just offered a 6.0 on the 1/2 ton.
Yep, They'd make so many people happy if they just offered the 6.0L as an option in ALL 1500 configurations.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

your not gonna get it all in 05' but good things are coming, the 6.0L is a CAFE issue. but there are 6.0L 1/2tons coming.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:36 PM
Launching!

Who said anything about getting it all?

"Almost any one of these might sway me to GM"

The 6.0 will be nice but why does it have only 5hp more than the 5.3? I understand it does have more Tq though. It must have a work style cam or tuning.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Round Rock TA
Who said anything about getting it all?

"Almost any one of these might sway me to GM"

The 6.0 will be nice but why does it have only 5hp more than the 5.3? I understand it does have more Tq though. It must have a work style cam or tuning.
the 6.0 in the cadilac escalade or SS silvi.... 345 hp.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Man, i dont see myself buying a new truck until they make a new body,was thinking duramax next time.I am certain in a couple years we will have some thing fresh and state of the art.History seems to always repete it's self.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Default trucksred

hi round rock
i'm a new member and i was just cruising around and found your question on the new trucks.the 6.0 lis available in the 1/2 ton now wih awd.anybody wanting some mpg's is gonna love this one.seems that gm has a new tc coming with a starter and alt.attached to it that shuts off the motor at idle then starts it back up when you hit the gas.they were working on getting a patent on it and have it. not sure if you will see it in 05 or the following year.
Old 03-28-2004, 02:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Well not to rain on your parade, but don't expect too much of what you are looking for to happen. Most crap...er...trucks they build are for yuppies/soccer moms not for performance gear heads like us. Like a crewcab 1/2 ton with that really short bed? Sure...that's about as useful as a screen door on a submarine.

I'd love to be able to order a 1/2 ton ECSB Z71 with a 6.0/4L80E/9.25 IFS/9.5" Rear but that just isn't gonna happen in this day in age. Hell it should come like that. I'd love GM to have SOLID front axles in their 3/4 tons too but not there either.

If you want a diesel in a light truck, Ford's doing that soon. Ford builds a damn good truck (I have an old one) and aside from the typical early 80s to mid 90s rear main leakage and **** power steering pumps that truck's tougher and more forgiving than my Z71. It's build better to me and it's just a fun old truck. Besides with the stock JUNK E7 heads and cam it'll spin pretty much all the way through 1st gear...not bad for a 302. I bet it can turn high 15s like a 15.8-15.9 now or really low 16s (not the fastest by anymeans but considering how turdy it was stock that's a feat to run high 15s!)

Only 6 speed you may get would be a ZF. I don't think you're going to get a light duty car tranny in a truck.

Dis on Dem is going to come soon, just wait for that. Cadillac had it in the 80s with that 8-6-4. How many remember that?!

5 Speed Auto is in the XLR Cadillac. I'd expect a variation of that in trucks at some point. A closer ratio box allows for less downshifts and quicker acceleration.

Heck, why don't trucks come with HD electric fan setups stock? That clutch and fan isn't more efficient (power/performance wise) over e-fans.

The aftermarket comes into play...you can pretty much do whatever your checking account can allow. I believe GM purposely does stuff to drive the aftermarket, get by the CAFE points, keep plants/companies in business, makes contracts for parts, etc.

Quick Reply: Whats next from GM? 2005 and beyond?