Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

What oil? Tired of searching.......

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Using Mobil 1 syn since 3,000 miles and no leaks or problems and my truck just hit 57,000 miles!!!!
Old 06-26-2007, 11:41 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by maximumrebel1
Right you just have to add some to it. BTW what is the beef with penzoil? Also I had never heard anything about changing the filter so often with synthetic but then again I don't work at a shop either.
To be honest I think Penzoil sucks. I've seen way too many engines that have failed and been taken apart only to see a ton of yellowish colored sludge. The owners say well I changed the oil with Penzoil every 3000 miles. I just think its a shitty company. Quaker is the same company. Have you ever looked at the Penzoil oil filters? They are crap and thats all we carry at my shop. I tell all my friends and family to go with a WIX filter and Valvoline for conventional oil, synthetic was Mobil 1 till they changed formulas. I just put in my RP today.

Oh and I'd change the filter that many times because my engine has 56k on it when I bought it and don't know what maintenance had been done to it. I hear that synthetic cleans the engine out and would want to make sure to trap all the debris by changing out the oil filters every 3-4k. $5 filter is cheap in exchange for peace of mind.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:43 AM
TECH Regular

Oh and you can even see the yellow film that Penzoil leaves on a car that has run it every oil change just by pulling the oil cap and looking down the fill hole. I've just seen it a lot as my shop does 100-130 oil changes a day and I've been there about a year.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Junkie

I have to agree with the penzoil assesment. I haven't met a mechanic yet that will run that crap in thier own engine. When they say it's like "liquid ball bearings" they mean it, and it leaves all that ball bearing crap in the engine to build up. I'm referencing the convetional oil here, the syn stuff might be ok, but I'm not gonna chance it.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:01 AM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here on the Penzoil. I've heard of people taking off the intake and that "yellow sludge" would just be caked all over.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by viciousknid
Same here on the Penzoil. I've heard of people taking off the intake and that "yellow sludge" would just be caked all over.
yup, I've seen a few pics that look like that description
Old 06-27-2007, 09:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by maximumrebel1
Can't really do that without changing the oil.

I use penzoil or valvoline full synthetic 5w30. Whenever the Change Oil light comes on the first time I just press the gas three times and wait another 7 or so thousand miles. So I go usually 15k between oil changes. The truck has 265k on it and still runs as good as ever. This whole change the oil every 3k miles is a scam that Jiffy Lube and the like do so they can change women's oil more often. Synthetic is synthetic its all good.
That is a complete bs statement about the 3000 mile thing. I have worked in multiple shops and you can't use your truck as an exception to the rule. I changed oil for awhile and I would just laugh when the people came in with oil that wasn't changed for about 20k miles and it would come out like tar. I will admit shops will try to screw people over with stuff like air filters, etc.

And for the guys that are thinking of running synthetic. If you have ran just conventional oil in your motor and you are thinking of going to synthetic don't waste you time. Once you use conventional oil in your motor is doesn't matter what oil you run because it all acts the same. Oil is a huge marketing game, who can make the "coolest, longest lasting" oil so someone will buy it. It all comes from the ground and comes out the same. My statement is for DD cars/trucks and don't know if it is the same for trucks/cars taken to the track. IMO don't be lazy and change every 3k
Old 06-28-2007, 03:47 AM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 03's change oil display doesn't even come on until about 6k miles. I say 5500 miles is a good point to change. It saves you money and if you use a good filter you don't have to worry about damaging the engine.... Unless you treat your tach like a slot machine and are alway shooting for 7's.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

rp xpr 21 11.50 qt. but I felt it more than my efans that's crazy. 12kmiles on it before every change.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

but i change it every 3k i baby it.

Quick Reply: What oil? Tired of searching.......