Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

What oil? Tired of searching.......

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok seriously if someone really wants to save money I would expect someone cut back on buying beer, not paying for oil. If you go buy 6 quarts of oil from wal-mart and a fram filter you are barely if even over $20. A filter is a filter for the most part, my suggestion is don't get caught up in the hype of all these filters and oil
Old 06-28-2007, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

I run mobil 1 and change it every 2500 miles on my 02,and just started running it in my 78,I think its great oil. I have never heard a good thing about pennzoil.......
Old 07-02-2007, 04:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SmokedSierra01
That is a complete bs statement about the 3000 mile thing. I have worked in multiple shops and you can't use your truck as an exception to the rule. I changed oil for awhile and I would just laugh when the people came in with oil that wasn't changed for about 20k miles and it would come out like tar. I will admit shops will try to screw people over with stuff like air filters, etc.

And for the guys that are thinking of running synthetic. If you have ran just conventional oil in your motor and you are thinking of going to synthetic don't waste you time. Once you use conventional oil in your motor is doesn't matter what oil you run because it all acts the same. Oil is a huge marketing game, who can make the "coolest, longest lasting" oil so someone will buy it. It all comes from the ground and comes out the same. My statement is for DD cars/trucks and don't know if it is the same for trucks/cars taken to the track. IMO don't be lazy and change every 3k
I agree on regular oil you should change more often than synthetic but 3k miles is excessive I think at least trust GM the maker of the engine and the one who has a reputation to uphold as far as longevity goes and change it when your light comes on. They have nothing to gain or lose my telling you to do it every 7k or so. The only people that say 3k are the ones who have something to gain by saying 3k.

Also I do not understand how if you first run conventional then run synthetic it won't help. I don't see how it just acts the same, since it is completely different in its make up.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:47 PM
TECH Regular

I run RP, a wix filter, and the Filtermag.

I've gone about 12-15K miles between oil changes with 2-3 more filter changes. I was told by the RP tech line that the oil can go up to 15K but you would need to change the filter a few times.

Although I am thinking of trying the new Lucas Oil since its additive works pretty damn good in my SBC.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:40 PM
TECH Resident

I started using M1,At 1,000 miles,And I change the Oil and Filter,About every 4,000 to 4,500 miles.I have 128K on my Truck,and no problems at all with M1,And last stay away from Penzoil!!!.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:44 PM
Teching In

I run Mobile1 with a Wix Race filter and a Filtermag as well. Oil changes are 3000KM's (about 2000miles). I dont take chances as i've seen some pretty rotten **** in my day as far as sludge buildup. But then again i dont put on many Km's in a year as its only a fair weather driver.

As for Pennzoil, I wouldnt put that **** in my lawnmower. At my old place of employment we used to service some of the pennzoil delivery trucks. We had a rep come down from pennzoil and he confirmed that they're regular line of oil is all recycled oil (used oil made back into new oil). No clue about the synth blend but thats enough to turn me off right there (as well as a personal expirience i had with an old 318 dodge when we rebuilt it 8yrs ago, with Pennzoil 10w30 dino oil, the lifters ticked like a mad man, changed it over to castrol gtx dino oil, quiet as can be!)
Old 08-07-2008, 02:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i run the mobil 1 15000 stuff. top it off when it gets down past the cross hatch and change the filter at about 7500. i used to go about 8 or 9 on the regular mobil one.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

amsoil 5w-30 here, http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/asl.aspx, stuff is great. Unfortunately, prices aren't getting cheaper for oil. Amsoil just raised prices 8/1 and will again 9/1. If you are a preffered customer, it saves you about 20-25% on price

run Amsoil dominator in the jet skis and never had problems with clogged RAVE's
Old 08-07-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5w-30 Castrol Syntec here
Old 08-07-2008, 09:39 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use conv casaroll(castrol) forever, no problems, it looks pretty good on the changes also. I have cheated a few times and used the light, but usually try to do it every 35-3800 miles or so. I can't believe that you can tell a hp imp over just changing oil, but thats my op...

John

Quick Reply: What oil? Tired of searching.......