Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

What mods for more towing power?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What mods for more towing power?

Well guys...I had plans on getting a new truck. First is tried for a DMax but the dealers here wouldn't deal then I wanted a VortexMax but there aren't any to be had around here so I'm thinking about just modding the truck I have instead. I pull a toyhauler that weighs probably 6k loaded. I'm worried about the transmission more than the engine. I have the towing package and am looking for a gauge cluster with the trans temp gauge. Also is there any engine mods other than FI for more power? I'd love a Radix but then I'd need a new trans and rearend too. Any suggestions?

This truck won't ever see the track and is mostly highway driven. I want power for long pulls over mountains.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

8.1L=max torque right off the line good tune, intake, exhaust
Old 12-27-2005, 07:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
8.1L=max torque right off the line good tune, intake, exhaust

Not looking to do a motor swap till mine is worn out then I'll look into a 6.0.
I was really asking about bolt on to help with torque and tranny life.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Then just do a tune/tune tow haul mode for better towing, intake, exhaust.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you're referring to the truck in your sig you might want to look into a 4.10 gear and get rid of the highway/fuel sipper gear. you could also get a bit of gain in torque and midrange hp from a cam swap assuming you pick the correct one.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lower gears (like 4.10's) would make a nice improvement but would be very costly because you would have to do the front and rear together. Otherwise you would loose the 4wd function of your truck.

Long tube headers, exhaust, and tune will make some difference but not a lot. This isn't what you want to hear, but the only way to get significant gains out of your current truck is to get a 6.0 or forced induction with a built tranny.

The mods in my sig helps me tow around my 5,500 lbs loaded car trailer without too much problem, but a 6.0 & 4L65E would be better. Just my humble opinion.

Old 12-28-2005, 08:46 AM
On The Tree

Sorry for not getting back sooner...thanks for the ideas, pretty much what I thought. I have the tune and thought about LT's but didn't know how much they would help. I didn't know you had to change the front gears too if I went to 4.10's. How much would a turbo like the STS help? In Tow/Haul I usually am at about 3k rpm at 70 mph would there be enough boost to to notice the difference and also how much would it wear on the 60E? Would the turbo help keep the trans from downshifting so much on grades?
I'm afraid of the tuning issues with FI too.

How would a shift kit and servo and a deeper pan help the 60E for towing?
Old 12-28-2005, 09:51 AM
TECH Junkie

I towed 9,500# with my silvy with tune, 4.10's, intake, exhaust, headers, and heads. I pulled from Jax Florida to Maine in OD without the tow/haul mode at 75+mph with no problems. It towed great other than the fact I had way too much weight on the hitch.(at least 1,000#) It drove great, got 14.5mpg, and didnt have to down shift exept on big hills. The 5.3 has the power to tow 6K easy. If you worried about the tranny just KEEP torque management, put in a shift kit and servos, and get a bigger tranny cooler. That should keep it from slipping and it will last a long time. A good tune is a huge plus with towing because you can add a good bit of power down low to get the load moving and then back the fuel off to keep the power and get better milage.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

They dont recoment towing with the sts, I think its because the exhaust gases get way too hot and screw stuff up, and with a turbo you get turbo lag, and you need ***** right off the line, and in the lower rps. Might be better off with a radix or a whipple.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NoChrome
They dont recoment towing with the sts, I think its because the exhaust gases get way too hot and screw stuff up, and with a turbo you get turbo lag, and you need ***** right off the line, and in the lower rps. Might be better off with a radix or a whipple.
The more load you put on a turbo engine the quicker it builds boost.

Quick Reply: What mods for more towing power?