Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Truck Front End and Rear End Height

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 02:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, 1Bear is correct! My truck does not have the factory two-(2) inch lift block. I visited the Midtown Cadillac dealership. The Service Parts Manager was nice and walked over with me to inspect my undercarriage - No 2-inch Lift Blocks! We had a nice conversation about the philosophy of removing or keeping the factory lift blocks, so after my new knowledge about this subject I prefer to keep the factory lift block. My main concern is knowing that my truck is safe to operate in all driving conditions specified for my truck. Thankfully I never had the need to load my truck's bed with a heavy load other than my personal clothes and other items. When I moved from Florida to Florida the bed of my truck was for all intensive purposes "The World's Largest Suitcase"! Thankfully the load wasn't too excessive or beyond the safety margins. However, I am disappointed knowing that my truck's maximum weight load has been changed due to the removal of the lift blocks. In hindsight, I now understand why the Mechanic, David, at Curry's Auto emphatically informed me that it is unsafe for me to install a truck camper or fifth-(5th) wheel [a past co-worker had a 5th wheel for his Ford F-150]. My confidence and satisfaction has been restored in knowing that Curry's Auto was a honest great auto services shop while I was a customer. Sadly for customers Curry's Auto Service was acquired by a much larger company based out of New York.

Leaf Springs on driver's side of my 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 VHO 6.0L
Old 06-11-2017, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

The old adage of "the more you know, the more you don't know" is true! I own up to the fact that I am not a mechanic and I thought I knew my truck, but there is a lot that I don't know about my truck. My truck has always been outdoors because sadly I never owned a home or had my own garage; thus I always tried taking care of my vehicles and keeping them clean. After inspecting many parts of my truck, I wish I could have taken better care of my vehicles; however, I think it is a moot point because manufacturers design failure into vehicles. I was informed that GM stops manufacturing parts for their vehicles after a model reaches eight-(8) years old! When does a vehicle reach the point of diminishing returns? I guess it is different per person and dependent on the person's income and wealth, the person's insurance and state of residence. Of course insurance companies steal your money with high premiums, high deductibles and low replacement value and sometimes refuse to repair a vehicle; they total the vehicle, the vehicle gets repaired and a auto dealer purchases the vehicle low and resells the vehicle again; most state's department of motor vehicles steal your money by placing a high value on your vehicle charge you high fees! I need to learn more about my truck, so I can determine my point of diminishing returns. I suspect that there are many parts on my truck that may need servicing for safety concerns, performance concerns and utility concerns.

Right rear of my 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 VHO 6.0L
Old 06-11-2017, 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

2WD trucks didn't come with lift blocks on 99-06 years.

They added lift blocks to 2wd models on 07.5+.

My 2006 2wd truck never had lift blocks.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Coil spring 2WD trucks didn't come with the lift blocks, but all the torsion bar suspension trucks I've come across, exception being the SS trucks have had them. One other indicator would be, if they haven't been removed would be the extension brackets for the rubber jounce bumpers that are utilized in conjunction with the lift blocks. It's hard to tell from the last couple of pictures, as the pictures just barley captures the bumper, but it also almost appears that these brackets are still in place (I think I can see the edge of one). If they are in place and you decide to keep it at this ride height, you really should remove them, as your suspension will bottom out early and can be some of your rough ride.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Hmm, who-ever removed them must have also installed the shorter u-bolts too if it indeed came with them from the factory.

Though being a VHO which is a SS on the GMC models it may not have had them.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You never know with all the different combinations GM put out. If you figure out that indeed your truck came with them and you want to go back that way, I still have the factory lift blocks and U-Bolts from my '01 C³.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:23 PM
Staging Lane

Default Learning my Truck's Trim and Parts

[QUOTE=1Bear;5411442]Coil spring 2WD trucks didn't come with the lift blocks, but all the torsion bar suspension trucks I've come across, exception being the SS trucks have had them. One other indicator would be, if they haven't been removed would be the extension brackets for the rubber jounce bumpers that are utilized in conjunction with the lift blocks. It's hard to tell from the last couple of pictures, as the pictures just barley captures the bumper, but it also almost appears that these brackets are still in place (I think I can see the edge of one). If they are in place and you decide to keep it at this ride height, you really should remove them, as your suspension will bottom out early and can be some of your rough ride.[/QUOTE

Thank you for your insightful responses, recommendations and parts offerings. I think the following photo shows the jounce bumpers. I was wondering the purpose of these parts. I noticed them and felt that it has a rubber sleeve, at first I thought it might be solid rubber. Last night, I was searching the internet about whether my model truck had the factory 2-inch lift blocks, so I found a good article on Truck Trends about a owner of 2005 GMC Sierra lifting his truck. He lives in Wisconsin, his truck is two-wheel (2WD) like mine and he wants better utility for his truck in the Wisconsin winters. Here is the [URL="http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/chassis-suspension/1609-intervention-a-wisconsin-based-2005-gmc-sierra-goes-from-dropped-to-lifted/"]http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/chassis-suspension/1609-intervention-a-wisconsin-based-2005-gmc-sierra-goes-from-dropped-to-lifted/[/URL. I like this article because I was wondering if my undercarriage and suspension is beyond saving: I noticed that I have rust under my truck, but I don't know if it is surface rust or deep. I would like to keep my truck for another twelve-(12) years, so is it wise to take preventative measures i.e., upgrade/replace parts or wait until a failure. I am going to post as many photos of sections of my truck, so please feel free to recommend your opinions, recommendations, experiences and cautious expectations.

I believe this is the Jounce Bumper to my 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 VHO 6.0L
Old 06-12-2017, 04:29 PM
Staging Lane

Photos of my 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 VHO 6.0L

I think the rubber sleeve is cracking and/or flaking.
I cannot remember if this is the left rear jounce bumper or right rear jounce bumper on 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 VHO 6.0L
Old 06-12-2017, 04:35 PM
Staging Lane

The undercarriage of my 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 VHO 6.0L

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 VHO 6.0L left rear, leaf spring, jounce bumper and shock absorber.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:37 PM
Staging Lane

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 VHO 6.0L

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 VHO 6.0L, can you name that part