Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Truck Front End and Rear End Height

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 12:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck Front End and Rear End Height

I did a few more strategic height measurements of my truck, but I am just as confused about my truck's front-end height to the rear-end height.
Old 06-09-2017, 12:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

Are you going to expand on that at all?

You're kinda leaving it open here. What about it is making you confused?

Most factory trucks always sit like 2in higher in the rear.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:07 AM
Staging Lane

Default Trim Z-axis Height

I am new to posting on this forum, but in my new guy introduction I requested that fellow forum members view my photo album. I think my rear end is lower than my front end, but I am not 100% confident in both my eyes and measurements: I just learned the correct terminology "trim Z-axis height", so I have to learn about identifying more parts on my truck. I think my truck's trim line is part of the challenge: my truck is the performance edition of the Sierra 1500 analogous to the Silverado SS. I now know that I have been measuring at the incorrect location(s) on my truck. I may attempt to take measurements of the Z-axis height, but I don't think I could fit under my truck in a position to take measurements. I also recently learned that my front end has a torsion bar, so now I have more reading about part's identification, tool selection and find really good "How-To-Guides". However I might visit a nearby Cadillac dealership to get a mechanic's perspective.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:40 AM
Staging Lane

Attempt to insert photos in response.

Measuring the height of my truck at the frame just in front of the rear wheel well.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:49 AM
Staging Lane

Measuring the height of my truck at the frame just in front of the rear wheel well

The measurement of my truck's height at the frame just in front of the rear wheel well is approximately 14 7/8 inches
Old 06-09-2017, 08:55 AM
Staging Lane

I moved up to to the truck's front end and measured the height just behind the wheel well.

With the tape in the locked position after measuring the rear of the frame just in front of the rear wheel well, the height in the front was higher by approximately one-(1) inch
Old 06-09-2017, 09:01 AM
Staging Lane

I attempted to measure the height from the top of the tires to the truck's frame at the top of the wheel well curve.

This is the distance from the top of the left rear tire to the truck's frame at the wheel well peak.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:05 AM
Staging Lane

This is the distance from the top of the left front tire to the truck's frame at the wheel well peak.

Front left height measurement from the top of the tire to the wheel well peak.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:11 AM
Staging Lane

I measured the distance from the ground to the top of the truck's hood and also from the ground to the top of the truck's bed; thus, I realized that this measurement doesn't tell me anything because the rear end side panel is larger than the front end side panel.

I measured the distance from the ground to the top of the truck's hood at the center of the wheel.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:15 AM
Staging Lane

I measured the distance from the ground to the top of the truck's hood and also from the ground to the top of the truck's bed; thus, I realized that this measurement doesn't tell me anything because the rear end side panel is larger than the front end side panel.

I measured the distance from the ground to the top of the truck's bed.