Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Tips for pulling motor on RCSB

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 10:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips for pulling motor on RCSB

I'm about to swap my motor out for my stroker and i was wondering if any one had any tips, or what i should remove or not remove i.e. radiator...etc...
i've got a nice cherry picker and a engine leveler so i should be set on that. i tried searching for this but i didn't work to well.if anyone has any helpful links that would be apreciated.

thanks
Old 11-26-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

You should be able to leave the radiator in, just remove the clutch/electric fans for a bit more room. Defiantely pull the intake off for easier access to those upper motor to tranny bolts. If you don't have one already, go buy a fuel line disconnect tool. Don't forget the beer! That's all the tips I can think of atm. Good luck.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OBXMarine
You should be able to leave the radiator in, just remove the clutch/electric fans for a bit more room. Defiantely pull the intake off for easier access to those upper motor to tranny bolts. If you don't have one already, go buy a fuel line disconnect tool. Don't forget the beer! That's all the tips I can think of atm. Good luck.
Radiator really needs to come out. Take the crank pulley off too. Give yourself as much room as you can in there. Be very careful with the oil pressure sending unit at the back of the block between the heads. It breaks very very easily!!
Old 11-26-2005, 01:41 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have never pulled my radiator(or balancer). it sits inside of the metal above it so there really isn't much point in taking it out.

one of the harder things to do is the torque converter bolts. if you still have the stock bolts they will be allens or stars and you have to get to them thru the starter hole. i am sure you know this but you leave the converter with the tranny. do not leave it conected to the motor. you will want some support under the tranny before you seperate it from the motor.

i leave the alternator and power steering pump conected to that bracket and just unbolt the bracket. i use some tie wire to hold that entire assembly back out of the way and a piece of cardboard between that assembly and the radiator to prevent any fin damage. after you pull the intake off and get all the wireing unhooked i like to use some zip ties to hold it back out of the way. i pull some of the wires all the way up to the wipers and tie to those. dont forget about the grounds, the one that i sometimes forget is the ground strap on the back of one of the heads.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for all who posted. I'm pretty sure i will have no problems doing it, Yeah parish i've had my experience with the tranny swap, lets see 4 times now wow, didn't realiaze it was that much. i will let u guys how things go and let u know of any problems i have. and our course how it turns out, i hope my tranny last, just got it rebuilt... oh well if it doesn't.. thanks again

tyler
Old 11-26-2005, 05:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by parish8
i have never pulled my radiator(or balancer). it sits inside of the metal above it so there really isn't much point in taking it out.

one of the harder things to do is the torque converter bolts. if you still have the stock bolts they will be allens or stars and you have to get to them thru the starter hole. i am sure you know this but you leave the converter with the tranny. do not leave it conected to the motor. you will want some support under the tranny before you seperate it from the motor.

i leave the alternator and power steering pump conected to that bracket and just unbolt the bracket. i use some tie wire to hold that entire assembly back out of the way and a piece of cardboard between that assembly and the radiator to prevent any fin damage. after you pull the intake off and get all the wireing unhooked i like to use some zip ties to hold it back out of the way. i pull some of the wires all the way up to the wipers and tie to those. dont forget about the grounds, the one that i sometimes forget is the ground strap on the back of one of the heads.

I had to pull both my rad and balancer. I pulled the motor and tranny together. Only way I could get it out was move the 2 mentioned items. They must have changed a few things on where the radiator is mounted on the 03+. I pull the fan shroud on my 99 and the radiator is loose.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:04 PM
single digit dreamer

nothing has changed, i had a 99 too. i never tried to pull both at once, that is the diference.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by parish8
nothing has changed, i had a 99 too. i never tried to pull both at once, that is the diference.
Yea. Thats nice.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:13 PM
12 Second Truck Club

my 04 had regular bolts on the tc. they had allen key in the middle but regular 15mm on the out side they came right out no problem.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4.8T
my 04 had regular bolts on the tc. they had allen key in the middle but regular 15mm on the out side they came right out no problem.
You are a lucky man!

Quick Reply: Tips for pulling motor on RCSB