Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

stock shortblock may be hurt/gone :( ( serious issues )

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default stock shortblock may be hurt/gone :( ( serious issues )

let me start from the beginning, 3 weeks ago i ran it on a 100 shot, ran twice, no issues, loaded it on the trailer drove home she sat on the trailer until Ben called last week needing to borrow my trailer, unloaded the truck parked it she sat, for a few days, decided to take her out for a drive, drove down the street, got on the main road hit it from a 40 roll and the damn motor shutdown at WOT, gas peddle stuck, ( the rpms never climbed motor never over revved ) the peddle released once the rpms came down, i know puzzling since its a cable driven throttle body, now everytime i hit WOT the **** happens, motor shutsdown peddle sticks i brake, peddle unsticks, anyway this happened several months ago, i couldnt figure out what the damn problem was, so what i done was change the wiring harness and problem solved, but now shes back and with a vengeance, i changed the harness and problem is still there, changed the TPS problem still there, i made sure the injector tails were correct problem still there, i have done everything possible and still have this issue, BUT now i have another issue, this one is definitely internal ( i think ) it has a hard knock kinda like piston slap, never had this before, it was idling when it started, i noticed the truck also is getting hotter than normal though the temp gauges doesnt say so, yes it does work. the knock sounds like its coming from the front of the engine or passenger side, i have removed valve cover checked rockers, springs, rods, nothing everything seemed to be fine, but i didnt take them apart, just moved or tried to move by hand, being dumb founded about the whole ordeal i figure id check the timing chain since im on the stocker, i did notice the crank pulley bolt was 1/2" out removed by hand, but theres no signs of slipping on the crankshalf, not by hand anyway, was gonna take the pulley off and check the timing set and gears but my pulley has been loaned out

any thoughts? i think i probably tried or checked everything possible, even went as for as changing the pcm, but with the knock occurring i am really puzzled now
Old 12-11-2010, 11:58 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

David, try unplugging coils around on that side (or injectors) and see if the sound changes or you can isolate it to one cylinder... Any oil pressure change? Check the oil for coolant since you've recently had the heads off... Is the sound metallic? High pitch? Low pitch? Thud?

Hopefully it isn't something in the valvetrain and you hurt one of my heads

And I've got a pulley remover, lemme know if you need me to loan it to you since yours is loaned out lol
Old 12-12-2010, 12:01 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn David, the truck is just trying to tell you to give it the bigger motor already and quit screwin around
Old 12-12-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
David, try unplugging coils around on that side (or injectors) and see if the sound changes or you can isolate it to one cylinder... Any oil pressure change? Check the oil for coolant since you've recently had the heads off... Is the sound metallic? High pitch? Low pitch? Thud?

Hopefully it isn't something in the valvetrain and you hurt one of my heads

And I've got a pulley remover, lemme know if you need me to loan it to you since yours is loaned out lol
i got my pulley remover back lol, i did find this :

look closely you should be able to see where the power bond spun where its vulcanized to the aluminum and the steel theres about .005-.008 from being flush, as for the sound, man you need to hear it sounds like piston slap BIG time, freaking knock from hell, damn wish i would have taken a vid of it, it started at idle not when running on the street, this is what throws me for a loop, it goes away with very little throttle, as for the oil i drained it, didnt find or see anything no nothing as for brass, and metallic shavings or anything, cut the filter open nothing, the problem still appears after i put things back together i'll do the coil injector swap and see if that makes any difference if it doesnt and the noise makes me look like a full im personally gonna blow the bitch up

oh yeah Ben, on the throttle body issue, i did change the TPS it shouldnt cause this, but just a thought, a TPS if you put a screw driver where the shaft goes, and turn it, it should spring back? mine didnt do that, the new does, but still have the WOT issues lol.. i also checked the one on my other motor it doesnt spring back neither so wtf lol.. i do know things feel alot hotter than normal. i'll check all this once the motor is back together i'll borrow a heat gun from work, and see if i may have passage issues. i guess as of now see what you can do as per our convo earlier about another pulley, im on the edge of buying a new one now but kinda holding off if i can find a used one..

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Damn David, the truck is just trying to tell you to give it the bigger motor already and quit screwin around

hahahaha yeah i talked to James the builder of the new powerplant, i told him do whatever it takes to finish it up, we're waiting on pistons, then she's complete, there a couple weeks out, the direct port will be here at end of next week, i'll be sending intake off this coming week to have it plumed up. **** just bothers me that i cant find the problem and it seems like more issues arise
Old 12-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hear you David, Im continually having little problems with mine that make me contemplate lighting it on fire literally. Only thing holding me back is I want to pay cash for my next truck and I dont have that much saved up yet. If you decide to get rid of yours maybe we can save on gas and burn them both at the same time
Old 12-12-2010, 07:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you drained the oil or cut the oil filter open to check for any bearing debris? I'd damn sure rather it be piston slap than a spun bearing...lol!!
Old 12-12-2010, 07:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
I hear you David, Im continually having little problems with mine that make me contemplate lighting it on fire literally. Only thing holding me back is I want to pay cash for my next truck and I dont have that much saved up yet. If you decide to get rid of yours maybe we can save on gas and burn them both at the same time

dude and make my wife the most happiest lady in the world, **** NO not that easy lol!!

Originally Posted by Rhino79
Have you drained the oil or cut the oil filter open to check for any bearing debris? I'd damn sure rather it be piston slap than a spun bearing...lol!!
not to be an *** but let me help you read what i typed, check out whats in RED BOLD lettering

Originally Posted by skeet
i got my pulley remover back lol, i did find this :

look closely you should be able to see where the power bond spun where its vulcanized to the aluminum and the steel theres about .005-.008 from being flush, as for the sound, man you need to hear it sounds like piston slap BIG time, freaking knock from hell, damn wish i would have taken a vid of it, it started at idle not when running on the street, this is what throws me for a loop, it goes away with very little throttle, as for the oil i drained it, didnt find or see anything no nothing as for brass, and metallic shavings or anything, cut the filter open nothing, the problem still appears after i put things back together i'll do the coil injector swap and see if that makes any difference if it doesnt and the noise makes me look like a full im personally gonna blow the bitch up

oh yeah Ben, on the throttle body issue, i did change the TPS it shouldnt cause this, but just a thought, a TPS if you put a screw driver where the shaft goes, and turn it, it should spring back? mine didnt do that, the new does, but still have the WOT issues lol.. i also checked the one on my other motor it doesnt spring back neither so wtf lol.. i do know things feel alot hotter than normal. i'll check all this once the motor is back together i'll borrow a heat gun from work, and see if i may have passage issues. i guess as of now see what you can do as per our convo earlier about another pulley, im on the edge of buying a new one now but kinda holding off if i can find a used one..

hahahaha yeah i talked to James the builder of the new powerplant, i told him do whatever it takes to finish it up, we're waiting on pistons, then she's complete, there a couple weeks out, the direct port will be here at end of next week, i'll be sending intake off this coming week to have it plumed up. **** just bothers me that i cant find the problem and it seems like more issues arise
Old 12-12-2010, 07:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LMAO! I didnt read past the opening post... I wonder if you may have a bent rod causing some abnormal piston wear?
Old 12-12-2010, 08:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Rhino79
LMAO! I didnt read past the opening post... I wonder if you may have a bent rod causing some abnormal piston wear?
lol its cool man, i know youre just trying to help and i appreciate it, bent rod isnt out the question, that just leads back to the oil that was drained if i didnt see anything as to wear and tear ( metal shaving/metal dust ) its really thrown we for a loop i can tell ya that, once i get the UD pulley and i can slap this thing back together, maybe i can get a more feel about whats going on.. its definitely got me puzzled, i have talked to a few pro engine builders and there stumped as well, also talked to a few locals and there like wtf hahahahaha i guess i should have never named the truck evilred lol
Old 12-12-2010, 09:22 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my friends ls2 was making the same noise as yours. turned out that it spun the #5 rod bearing.

Quick Reply: stock shortblock may be hurt/gone :( ( serious issues )