Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Opinions on a perfect daily setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 12:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's interesting for sure, I'm not really nice to any of my vehicles but so far so good at bolt ons and gears. I haven't had a tune yet though, so I guess the torque management is still at whatever the factory level is.

The L33 deal comes with a spare 4l60e, so I can have it built off on the side and swap everything in at once. The 4.8 will then collect dust until I have the space/time for a OBS RCSB stepside...

The 700R4 was pretty wonky in my 88 Silverado, I know I replaced that bastard like three times. I suppose there was potentially something I was missing there, I know the stock TBI shouldn't have been killing them haha
Old 01-08-2019, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by camar0corey
It's interesting for sure, I'm not really nice to any of my vehicles but so far so good at bolt ons and gears. I haven't had a tune yet though, so I guess the torque management is still at whatever the factory level is.

The L33 deal comes with a spare 4l60e, so I can have it built off on the side and swap everything in at once. The 4.8 will then collect dust until I have the space/time for a OBS RCSB stepside...

The 700R4 was pretty wonky in my 88 Silverado, I know I replaced that bastard like three times. I suppose there was potentially something I was missing there, I know the stock TBI shouldn't have been killing them haha
An improperly adjusted kickdown cable will tho.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by stroker87
i smoked my 4l60 with a stock 4.8 @ 130k, back when these trucks was new every one i know that had one blew them up some with less then 10k on them, driving aggressive is something they just dont like stock or not
So I've heard many times lol. I consider myself lucky but I do take care of **** no question.
Originally Posted by madmann26

An improperly adjusted kickdown cable will tho.
Very true!
Old 01-18-2019, 06:58 AM
TECH Junkie

I was happy to see that on Belltech's website that the part numbers are the same for the street performance shocks for a 99 RCSB and a 06 quad cab. I had given my father in law my 99 Silverado which I had put a set on, and a Addco rear sway bar. Now he says he plans on getting rid of the truck soon, I'm like yeah before you do that, let me swap them shocks out and get my sway bar haha.

So some suspension upgrades for my daily on the way. Those shocks have maybe 10-15k on them, versus probably the originals in my current truck at 176k.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Arise from the grave!!!!

Well sold the 99 Silverado the other day, and guess due to seeing only two winters up in PA... well I didn't retrieve my parts off it haha.

New Addco 631 ordered. Also, will a 20" spare still fit just fine with the rear sway bar installed?

For shocks... anyone run the Bilsteins on these trucks? There would be almost a $100 difference if I buy Bilsteins instead of the Belltech Street Performance set. Kinda curious if anyone has ever ran both and opinions. My gut says just order the Belltech's, as I liked them on my 99 and they are $100 cheaper haha

I also acquired a TBSS intake for the L33, slowly gathering some stuff for it.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:55 AM

Received 218 Likes on 147 Posts

perfect daily setup? Tint the windows, upgrade the radio and use it as a daily. My 2500HD is basically stock with a large magnaflow muffler that really isn't even that loud. I recently purchased a bone stock 07' silverado and the stock quiet exhaust was immediately my favorite thing about the truck. I tried the modified daily driver back when i wasn't in a position to have a daily driver and a toy...it turned into a money pit that i could no longer depend on as a daily.

I guess I'm getting old LOL.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
perfect daily setup? Tint the windows, upgrade the radio and use it as a daily. My 2500HD is basically stock with a large magnaflow muffler that really isn't even that loud. I recently purchased a bone stock 07' silverado and the stock quiet exhaust was immediately my favorite thing about the truck. I tried the modified daily driver back when i wasn't in a position to have a daily driver and a toy...it turned into a money pit that i could no longer depend on as a daily.

This! A quiet enjoyable reliable driver is hands down the best daily setup. And my 13 I bought since the last time I posted is perfect. Even stock this trucks 6.2 pulls hard and is fun to drive especially being an LT extended cab with 3.73 gears. I unplugged the steering angle sensor on the column and no more stabilicrap while maintaining abs and everything else. It's perfect!
Old 11-05-2019, 07:07 PM
100% Redneck

Received 1,329 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
I'm so old, I'm in my second childhood. Retired and only feel like getting out two or three times a week, I love the noise and the loud popcorn idle at stoplights, annoying everyone around me. Most people are surprised seeing a grey bearded old man climbing out of "that obnoxious truck" instead of a young 20 something, to be honest it feels like I'm 40 years younger, back in my hotrod days... life is good!
The following users liked this post:
Bluecollar Hotrods (11-05-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 08:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Arise from the grave!!!!

Well sold the 99 Silverado the other day, and guess due to seeing only two winters up in PA... well I didn't retrieve my parts off it haha.

New Addco 631 ordered. Also, will a 20" spare still fit just fine with the rear sway bar installed?

For shocks... anyone run the Bilsteins on these trucks? There would be almost a $100 difference if I buy Bilsteins instead of the Belltech Street Performance set. Kinda curious if anyone has ever ran both and opinions. My gut says just order the Belltech's, as I liked them on my 99 and they are $100 cheaper haha

I also acquired a TBSS intake for the L33, slowly gathering some stuff for it.
I run 5100s on the rear and the Street Performance up front. I use it as a truck still, i.e. - tow heavy car trailers and haul engines & transmissions, etc. It rides good, handles well - for a truck. It got a little bouncy since the helper bags, but they were a must.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:18 PM

Received 218 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by RedXray
I'm so old, I'm in my second childhood. Retired and only feel like getting out two or three times a week, I love the noise and the loud popcorn idle at stoplights, annoying everyone around me. Most people are surprised seeing a grey bearded old man climbing out of "that obnoxious truck" instead of a young 20 something, to be honest it feels like I'm 40 years younger, back in my hotrod days... life is good!
Im not saying old shouldnt be fun. Just a daily as a daily, and have extremely obnauxious toys on the side (see my sig lol)
The following users liked this post:
RedXray (11-06-2019)

Quick Reply: Opinions on a perfect daily setup