Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Need a new battery!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 01:06 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had a yellowtop for 4 years that had been completly discharged for 6+ months and a red top for two that also had been fully discharged. Both times put them on a battery tender for a few days and no problems comming back to life and working perfectly.

Seems like to me that the internet can give any product a bad name just because someone has heard of someone that heard of someone that might have had a problem with it and didnt know how to properly restore it.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

all the stuff that ive "heard" for the most part has been from first hand accounts, like i believe dirt track racer had problems with his, and from other people saying everything from it barely lasted past warranty to they had to exchange them 2times to just get to the warranty..

But i understand what your saying, bad talk spreads far on forums. and yes they are supposed to be trickle charged i believe to get back to a proper state.
Like i said i had one for a year and no problems, but ive heard enough bad talk about them(wether its hearsay or real) to not chance the extra money on one imo..

also on a side note i was "told" for whatever its worth, that they were bought out (optima) by another company and thats when the quality started going downhill..
Old 04-10-2010, 03:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skolman91
Padding is on there for simple insulation, help keep extreme heat and colds out..

Ive herd some good recommendations for odyssey batteries and id like to try one, but they arent cheap at around double that of a reg battery..
I had an Odyssey in my Camaro. I let it sit for some time w/o it being on charger of any kind before I got around to using it again, so that led to it's demise. It woulda lasted longer had I not done that.

Originally Posted by skolman91
...also on a side note i was "told" for whatever its worth, that they were bought out (optima) by another company and thats when the quality started going downhill..
A shame when a good product goes down the tubes when someone else takes over.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

My Costco battery is great. $67 I think, 800 CCA. Has a prorated 8 year warranty I think.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had my Optima Redtop in my last two trucks (same battery) and it keeps going. Its about 6 years old with ZERO issues. Im extreamly hard on batteries as I do a lot of idle time with lots of accesories going. Start and shut off (almost as much as the fed ex and ups guys do) and haven't had it fail your give me troubles yet. My first optima (bought back in 2001) STILL starts my moms car on a day to day basis with no issues. Its just a 4cyl but still....a battery lasting 9 years and has been drained to complete dead on 3 occations is VERY impressive. I know they are expensive but If mine died tomorrow another Optima Redtop will go in its place with out question.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

From my understanding the Diehard Platinum line from Sears has one of the best ratings out there as far as batteries go right now.

On a side note; I had an old Cutlass with the miserable 350 diesel and bought two Red Top Optima’s for it 1992, one lasted for only a few months, while the other is still going as far as I know. I switched it through several cars and let it go with the last car a couple of years ago. Of course I had the bad one swapped under warrantee, but it still only lasted a couple of years. The good one had what I would consider to be a pretty hard life; when it was in my Vette it would get drained down from sitting all the time and later when it was in my wife’s Bronco, it would see below freezing temperatures from time to time in Idaho and other places and never missed a beat. So it seems to be hit or miss with them, but in my case the one surely paid for the other having such a short life span.

Hell, the one Red Top that lasted was so old that it wasn’t even red anymore, it was a pink top…………LOL
Old 04-10-2010, 05:51 PM
TECH Junkie

A battery either made by Johnson Control or Deka. Anything else is garbage. The High end delco batteries are made by Johnson Control. That's what I just put in my truck.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by hirdlej
A battery either made by Johnson Control or Deka. Anything else is garbage. The High end delco batteries are made by Johnson Control. That's what I just put in my truck.
Johnson control makes the Costco batteries.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 93 town car with 3 15's A true rated 1500 amp planet audio amp and the optima yellow top that I had in the car took a hell of a beating. I bought it used discharged but a 24 hour charge with a smart charger brought it back to life.

Currently in my truck is a Red top optima, this past winter was a pretty cold one here in VA and the truck sat for about a week when we had the winter storms, went out side and cranked like nothing had happened. I bought my red top at advance for $136

I work at a Jaguar Land Rover Dealership and the only batteries we use are interstate. IMO Interstate batteries are great but a little pricey.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Go with a Delco Pro. Cannot go wrong.

Quick Reply: Need a new battery!