Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Need a new battery!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hirdlej
A battery either made by Johnson Control or Deka. Anything else is garbage. The High end delco batteries are made by Johnson Control. That's what I just put in my truck.
Johnson Control makes Delco, Interstate and Optima....
Old 04-11-2010, 06:49 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrgoodwrench3
Johnson Control makes Delco, Interstate and Optima....
That's interesting, didn't know that they made Interstate, I thought that Interstate were one of the ones that make their own, as Interstate makes the replacement batteries for Toyota and Lexus
Old 04-11-2010, 08:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Go with a Delco Pro. Cannot go wrong.

Yup, that's the battery I got for $80 exchanged. 800 CCA
Old 04-11-2010, 08:33 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Where can one buy the ACDelco Pro for that price? My battery's toast from my truck sitting too long and me not starting it frequently enough...I usually go with Interstate or ACDelco so...
Old 04-11-2010, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Talking

Originally Posted by budhayes3
That's interesting, didn't know that they made Interstate, I thought that Interstate were one of the ones that make their own, as Interstate makes the replacement batteries for Toyota and Lexus
From Wikipedia:

Interstate Battery System of America, Inc., a.k.a. Interstate Batteries, is a privately-owned company that markets automotive batteries manufactured by Johnson Controls through nearly 300 independent distributors. The company is based in Dallas, Texas. The current owner and chairman is Norm Miller.

Johnson Controls manufactures batteries for the following private labels:

Interstate Battery

Die Hard Battery

Duralast Battery

Kirkland Logo

Kirkland Battery

Everstart Battery

Prostart Battery

Johnson controls also makes some or all of these batteries as well.

Acura, Advance Auto Parts, Autocraft, Western Auto, Tough One, Alliance, American Hardware, Ames, Varta, Blains Farm & Fleet, Battery Alliance, Bosch, Carrefour(Europe), Champion, Amara Raja Batteries LTD(Joint venture with Johnson Controls India).

Varta, Optima Batteries, LTH, and Heliar are all battery manufactures owned by Johnson Controls.

Johnson Controls supplies Ford Motor company, Diamler Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and Isuzu with original equipment batteries. So next time you go and buy a battery, or a automobile chances are its a battery made by Johnson Controls.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:49 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From Wikipedia:

Interstate Battery System of America, Inc., a.k.a. Interstate Batteries, is a privately-owned company that markets automotive batteries manufactured by Johnson Controls through nearly 300 independent distributors. The company is based in Dallas, Texas. The current owner and chairman is Norm Miller.

Johnson Controls manufactures batteries for the following private labels:

Interstate Battery

Die Hard Battery

Duralast Battery

Kirkland Logo

Kirkland Battery

Everstart Battery

Prostart Battery

Johnson controls also makes some or all of these batteries as well.

Acura, Advance Auto Parts, Autocraft, Western Auto, Tough One, Alliance, American Hardware, Ames, Varta, Blains Farm & Fleet, Battery Alliance, Bosch, Carrefour(Europe), Champion, Amara Raja Batteries LTD(Joint venture with Johnson Controls India).

Varta, Optima Batteries, LTH, and Heliar are all battery manufactures owned by Johnson Controls.

Johnson Controls supplies Ford Motor company, Diamler Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and Isuzu with original equipment batteries. So next time you go and buy a battery, or a automobile chances are its a battery made by Johnson Controls.
Good info to dispell false rumors
Old 04-12-2010, 02:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by marlboroman71818
Good info to dispell false rumors
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...9/ai_65540594/
looked that up just for you... dated sept 2000, take over probably happend early 2001.
was gonna say alot more but i think ill just stick to my opinion of rumors and internet myths..

Last edited by skolman91; 04-12-2010 at 02:58 AM.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Bear
On a side note; I had an old Cutlass with the miserable 350 diesel and bought two Red Top Optima’s for it 1992, one lasted for only a few months, while the other is still going as far as I know
this is what i was talking about, seems like its either hit or miss with them. they either last a long time or go out quick.
Just not worth the extra money imo, only reason i got one before was because i got a discount from my buddy behind the counter at the parts store..
Old 04-12-2010, 11:58 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Wow, good info MrGoodwrench3...seems like they've just about cornered the market

So where do I get the Delco Pro for 80 bux? Might as well have a Johnson Control battery that says AC Delco on it
Old 04-12-2010, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I get the Delco batteries from my AC Delco supplier, Dealer Source. They are different then ones sold in retail stores. Check with your local Delco warehouse.

Quick Reply: Need a new battery!