Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Nbs Rcsb rides like trash

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 08:31 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Nbs Rcsb rides like trash

hey guys. i lowered my single cab 2000 gmc about a year ago now, and it rides like trash in the rear. its got a 6 icnh drop, c notch and flip kit, i also replaced the leaf springs recently. it bottoms out too often, and it seems to be really shaky and iffy on the back half of the truck. it has belltech nitro drop shocks and those were put in after i realized they were going to be better than the djm shocks. im stumped. i dont know how else to make it ride better, adding weight to the bed just makes it bottom out more than it already does, but it keeps the back end from going up and down as much. the rear shocks are practically parallel with the ground so i thought about a relocation kit for them, but i dont know if thatll do it. i thought about adding bags, keeping my leaf springs, to act as almost helper bags, and i thought that improve the ride quality and give me a little bit of ride height adjust-ability. any ideas? thanks for the help in advance
Old 05-23-2019, 07:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

For every % that a shock is off center (ie, straight up/down), the shocks effectiveness is reduced by the same %.

For me, I used air shocks from an '80 C10. It rides well with about 100-125psi in them.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:47 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You are never going to get back the "factory ride quality" when you lower the truck. But in my line of work, I see lots of people going for those belltech shocks and all have the same complaint. My ecsb WITH A 2/4 DROP RODE AWFUL until i bought some bilstien shocks. best shock imo. They are pricey but you get what you pay for.

How was the C notch installed? welded in or bolted in?
Old 05-23-2019, 01:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

I noticed a huge difference when I relocated my shocks
The following users liked this post:
LA FEA (05-26-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 02:06 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

shock relocation and some viking double adjustable shocks will help
Old 05-23-2019, 09:45 PM
Teching In

bolted in notch. a djm, which is junk *** sketchy notch, i am going to get a bigger weld in step notch for it soon. i looked into some bilsteins but dont know if i can run a factory length shock on a 6+ inch lowered truck. and i dont think they make lowered shocks
Old 05-23-2019, 09:47 PM
Teching In

id love to have some viking shocks but they arent on the budget right now. being a soon to be college student monies are tight lol
Old 05-23-2019, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 01SilveradoJakee
You are never going to get back the "factory ride quality" when you lower the truck. But in my line of work, I see lots of people going for those belltech shocks and all have the same complaint. My ecsb WITH A 2/4 DROP RODE AWFUL until i bought some bilstien shocks. best shock imo. They are pricey but you get what you pay for.

How was the C notch installed? welded in or bolted in?
^ This exactly, belltech shocks are junk plain and simple, i went thru 2sets before i figured it out. Brand new they were ok then got bad quick, went back to the stock bilstien shocks for my app and rode so much better. Also tire selection and pressure will play a factor, im guessing with it that low you dont have much sidewall so it wont ever ride that great in the first place..
measure for shocks and buy good quality replacements. And air bags wont help with ride quality only weight capacity/ride height, air shocks might.
My helper bags made the ride in the rear a little worse since you have to keep a few psi in them all the time.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:26 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want to consider some shock extenders to get the shocks back closer to their optimal angle of operation before switching shocks altogether or doing a relocation. Wish I could comment on the Nitro Drop shocks ride quality, I just remember reading they didn't ride all that great on several forums years ago but could have been poor selection of shocks for the application by user for all I know. (Currently on BT Street Perfomance with a 5/8 drop so not sure how valid a comparison that would be).
Also may want to check that the shackles (or hangers) if you removed them to install the flip kit have enough play to not bind up the leaf springs aka not overtightened.

X2 on that tire pressure/sidewall comment.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 400_SS
You may want to consider some shock extenders to get the shocks back closer to their optimal angle of operation before switching shocks altogether or doing a relocation. Wish I could comment on the Nitro Drop shocks ride quality, I just remember reading they didn't ride all that great on several forums years ago but could have been poor selection of shocks for the application by user for all I know. (Currently on BT Street Perfomance with a 5/8 drop so not sure how valid a comparison that would be).
Also may want to check that the shackles (or hangers) if you removed them to install the flip kit have enough play to not bind up the leaf springs aka not overtightened.

X2 on that tire pressure/sidewall comment.
Ive got some cheap *** tires, i run i think like 33 psi in. I played around with psi on them and seemed optimal. The ride quality didnt seem to change all that much going from stock wheels and tires to 20s with a 275/45 sized tire. I have a shock extender on the passenger side, but it didnt seem to change anything. I may go with the shock relocation kit that was linked earlier, and see what that does since i can get it welded in on the weekend. My next option would probably by either different shocks or different wheels and tires.

Quick Reply: Nbs Rcsb rides like trash