Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Motive ring & pinion gears? OEM?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motive ring & pinion gears? OEM?

An online gear store "Gears r us" said that Motive gears rebox their gears and put a GM part number on them for GM. True? Are Motive gears any good? A local gear shop only recommnds GM, Richmond or Precision with Precision Gears being the best gear made in his opinion. Any good online gear stores? Also, how much should it cost to install a new ring and pinion, and get them set up properly? They said $595 and I about crapped since they were recommended to me by my muffler guy. Darrel called the guy back and vouched for me so the guy said he would take $100 off. Damn! I figure $300-$400. Any help would be appreciated on this subject. Also, I'm just going to replace the ring & pinion and get a master install kit. No Eaton or anything right now.
Thanks, Jim
Old 07-10-2003, 04:54 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Motive ring & pinion gears? OEM?

I don't know about Motive really, but I know that the place I bought my Precision 4.10 gears said they highly recommended Precision over Motive. My guess is it has to do with the quality of construction, because I mean, its just a piece of metal. I've heard of guys going with GM gears b/c of quality as well. I dunno.

The place I bought my gears and Eaton posi from is an actual store located in NY that sold a package deal on their ebay online store.
$560 got me any Precision gear ratio I wanted, an Eaton Posi, and the master overhaul kit which consists of the special bearings and other little things you need to be able to install the stuff. I called them, very nice guys, answered all my questions and gave me everything I needed, minus oil and posi additive of course.
This is what I bought....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...DME:B:EOT:US:3

Heh, yep. Be prepared to pay alot unless you really shop around. Where's Clyde anyway? I'm in southern cali, and I about **** my pants as well when 4WheelParts quoted me $550 for the installation of gears and a posi. I wasn't about to pay the same amount for an install, so I looked around. Another place, $425, another, $375.
FINALLY I found a place for $200. Place called Hooper's in Sun Valley. Find out that they are a well known place that does good work, and not to mention, beat the other guys prices.

You should be looking at around $350....
Gears should cost you around $150, and install about $200.
$500 and up, you're getting ripped.
I got my Eaton, gears, install kit AND installation for $800. Worth every penny.
I've read on other forums about guys paying $1200 and up for the same thing I did... I wonder if that included KY jelly
Old 07-10-2003, 06:13 PM
TECH Addict

I wonder if that included KY jelly
Hahaha..
Old 07-10-2003, 06:18 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ky, thats a good one.

That is what they should include with every 4.00 cup of coffee @ Starfucks.
Old 07-10-2003, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

I bought some 3.73:1 for my 01 Sierra from Gears r Us and they sold Motive gears as OEM. I was like WTF when I got since i was expecting them in a GM box but no they came in a Motive box. Anyhow, the gears have performed flawless. They are as quaet as the originals 3.42 I had before.
As far as installation goes, I think you can get a better deal Jim. I got mine installed properly for 150 here in my area. Hope this helps.

File
Old 07-10-2003, 06:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

OH.. I forgot to mention.. the OEM Motive gears are the performance series not the other ones. I forget what the others are called.

File
Old 07-10-2003, 07:51 PM

Gears R Us quoted me a price of $199 for the OEM Motive gears, $89 for a master install kit and $26 to ship it all, $314 total. What ya think on the price? They didn't recommend Richmond gears, said they were noisey? Haven't found a place onlne that has Precision gears. A site sponsor "Thunder Racing" also sells Motive gears, I e-mailed them. Several places online sell Motive gears, may have to check into them a little more. I will shop around for the installation price although where I live in Northern Ca is expensive. My mechanic's labor rate is $82.50 an hour but he said he doesn't have all the stuff to set the gears up properly. Maybe I'll go back by and ask him to recommend a place, Red Line Performance is expensive. Clyde is in the S.F. Bay area right next to Concord.
Jim
Old 07-10-2003, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

That is about right.... That is how much I paid for mine. You might want to try Randy's I got my Eaton from them and install kit.... great to deal with and they will price match.

File
Old 07-11-2003, 02:36 AM
TECH Junkie

I put some Richmond gears in my drag car, and it pulles the front skinnies off the ground and the gears take it like a champ. (splitt the drive shaft one time into three parts)