Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Insurance Question, wife hit a deer and ditch.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance Question, wife hit a deer and ditch.

Well, as some of you know, It's been a while in East Texas since we've had some rain... any how, The other evening it was raining and my wife was driving the truck. A deer ran out in front of her and she hit the brakes, then she hit the deer and the *** end of the truck came around on her and put her into the ditch. She claims the truck went for a short flight through the air and smashed through some brush. She was O.K.

Anyway.. The truck has a crack in the windshield, a small dent in the front of the hood, small crack in the grill and a couple of small dents in the sides, but alot of scratches down both sides.

I made the call to my insurance and filed a comprehensive claim, they called back and asked for a description of the damage so they could put it into the computer. After that, they said the computer showed a Total Loss, But it would be up to the adjusters opinion rather or not to total it.

I know, some dents, paint and alinement doesn't add up to a total loss of a 00 GMC Sierra ext cab Z71.

Does anyone have knowledge of what my options might be, if they decide to total it and don't fix it.

Thanks
Old 01-18-2006, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by UB2SLO
Well, as some of you know, It's been a while in East Texas since we've had some rain... any how, The other evening it was raining and my wife was driving the truck. A deer ran out in front of her and she hit the brakes, then she hit the deer and the *** end of the truck came around on her and put her into the ditch. She claims the truck went for a short flight through the air and smashed through some brush. She was O.K.

Anyway.. The truck has a crack in the windshield, a small dent in the front of the hood, small crack in the grill and a couple of small dents in the sides, but alot of scratches down both sides.

I made the call to my insurance and filed a comprehensive claim, they called back and asked for a description of the damage so they could put it into the computer. After that, they said the computer showed a Total Loss, But it would be up to the adjusters opinion rather or not to total it.

I know, some dents, paint and alinement doesn't add up to a total loss of a 00 GMC Sierra ext cab Z71.

Does anyone have knowledge of what my options might be, if they decide to total it and don't fix it.

Thanks

they will pay you off and then you can buy it back for less....
Old 01-18-2006, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hell, I still owe around $8500 on it.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:07 AM
On The Tree

I had similar situation with my '83 Chevy truck. A guy rear ended me and tweaked the rear bumper, messed up the aluminum tailgate trim piece and put a small dent in one of the rear quarters (my bumper made contact with it).

Anyway, they wanted to total my truck over the phone. I said "I don't think so," and insisted they send an apraiser to look at it. The appraiser valued it at 10K and then they said they would fix it.

If it is really clean and has mods that you have reciepts for, make them appraise it. Over the phone they just look at their "book." The book doesn't take into consideration your condition and mods.

If they insist on totalling the truck, tell them they can pay you out for the total, but you are keeping your truck because you intend to fix it. If they don't go for that, tell them you will fight them in court if you have to.

Mike
Old 01-19-2006, 10:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

have the adjuster look at it, don't just tell them. If the damage isnt that bad like you say, then there should be no reason to total it and the adjuster will be able to attest to that personally.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, the adjuster called yesterday and said to go ahead and take it to the body shop, I've been going to the same one for years and trust the people working there, they've done all the work on my car, (note pic below) but I forgot to ask him to try and work in the 200 ded.

I ask them if they could color match the fender flares with the body and he said they could but didn't advise that because he said it would eventully start to flake. My truck is Dark blue and the FF are black, It looks ok but I would like it to match.

Do they sell flares that match or are people just getting them painted?
Old 01-27-2006, 01:42 PM
Teching In

I spray painted mine about three years ago and there isn't any flaking.. some slight chips. he should be able to do better than i did.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

That material is hard to paint, youd be better off buying someones colored fender flares and having them painted to match.