Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Inaccurate TPS signal

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Inaccurate TPS signal

Something is wrong with my TPS signal. When it should be at 0%, it will sometimes show anywhere from 2% to 10%. I replaced the TPS and it still does it. With the throttle closed, it reads .62 volts on HP Tuners.

Last night on the way home, with the throttle closed, it was always showing 7%. I pulled over, turn the truck off and restarted it. Now it showed 4%. I drove some more and stopped to get gas. Now when I restarted it, it showed 0% like it is supposed to.

Sometimes when it is at 0% and I'm idling, it will suddenly jump to 5% or whatever and stay there when I don't even touch the throttle.

WTF could be causing this? The voltage reads correct. There are 3 wires going to the TPS. A 5 volt (I think), a signal, and a ground. Which one would cause this? I have a voltmeter if you guys can tell me how to test a ground wire with it.

It is really annoying because it makes me idle 1000 RPM and surge all the time.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

There's also a loud squeal from the front left wheel when taking curves. It is setting off my knock sensors like crazy.

Does that sound like my wheel bearing is about to fail?
Old 01-06-2010, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having the same issue on my 2000 Silvy as well. Ocassionally the throttle position sensor will read 13% without pressing the throttle and idles around 1000rpm's and can raise the shift points. Then it can be re-started and go away for a time and come back.

Someone suggested cleaning the MAF, which oddly enough seemed to help for about a week or two then the problem started intermittently again, so I have a new TPS ready to go in when the weather clears and I feel like pulling the alternator to get at it.

I'm also gonna look at the Air Filter... It's a Fram Airhog pre-oiled from the factory. I know there have been problems with people over oiling and the MAF, this one is stock but needs to be changed anyway. I'll throw a paper one in and clean the MAF again?
Old 01-06-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a problem with my TPs....cept it reads btw 74-94% at WOT. WTF. It never reads 100%. yet with the engine off, if i mat it, it will read 100%. I don't recall what it reads at idle, but I believe the part throttle stuff is accurate.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:51 PM
TECH Addict

It's probably not the TPS because I replaced mine and it didn't help.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:34 AM
TECH Addict

My front bearing was completely gone, so I replaced it in the 25* cold. After that, the truck was surging again, so I got pissed and just untied and examined the lengthened (for the Radix) TB wiring from the TB to the original cut in the engine harness.

It turns out the wiring was touching the alternator and it had melted a small area through the wire loom and was probably sending electrical interference through the wires. I repaired the loom and routed the wiring over the snout (until it is warm enough to repair properly) and it has idled perfect for 3 days!
Old 01-15-2010, 12:38 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the GM's are the same as Toyota/Lexus, the TPS signal will not be 0% at idle. I usually see 11-14% on the Toys...not sure on the 100% thing Michael, may be normal operation, one of our GM techs or tuning guru's will know for sure.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:48 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

try resetting your tps sensor.

with the truck turned off, unplug the TPS sensor.

with the TPS sensor unplugged, turn the key to the on position (do not start)

count to 15

turn key to off position and plug in the sensor. start the truck and see if it worked.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
try resetting your tps sensor.

with the truck turned off, unplug the TPS sensor.

with the TPS sensor unplugged, turn the key to the on position (do not start)

count to 15

turn key to off position and plug in the sensor. start the truck and see if it worked.
Interesting...I'll try this on mine.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:22 AM
TECH Addict

It turned out to be a corroded splice where I had elongated the TPS wires for the Radix. I just stumbled upon this old *** thread and thought I would give it some closure.

Quick Reply: Inaccurate TPS signal