Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

How to run the exhaust.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 12:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to run the exhaust.....

Since running an exhaust system w/out cats is illegal for a machine dedicated to public roads, and some forums are sensitive about the subject, lets make this a theoretical question in regards to an off-road use vehicle with a 5.3 liter chevy V8 in it. So, this is a theoretical analysis not a question, about a vehicle that does not exist, which if it did, would not be driven on a publicly maintained road, but would be for Off-Road use only........

OK, this theoretical truck that doesn't exist currently has the stock manifolds and cats, but no muffler. What is the best way to incorporate headers on this vehicle? What type of headers would you use, that wouldn't break the bank? From the header, would it be wise to use a Y pipe w/ high flow cats, or an off road Y pipe? Would true duels really make enough of a difference to spend the extra cash, or keep the stock cat back?

What about headers, off road Y pipe, stock cat back except a flowmaster muffler. Would this set up still take advantage of the free-flowing headers and catless setup, but also mellow the sound enough to keep the driver and passengers of the vehicle from going deaf?

If this isn't a legit thread, I understand. I figure it would fly, however, since it's not intended for a street use machine.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

pacesetters and high flow cats if you are worried about emissions, if not then get a off road y and be done. True duals is pointless, get a nice cat back or just replace the muffler if you want to do it cheap
Old 02-28-2011, 09:36 PM
Launching!

I agree with lownslo. Pacesetters with hi flows if you want to stay legal. Thats what I am doing to my truck as soon as I get home on leave. If you dont care about the cats ditch them. Lots of people running those "offroad" only trucks on this site. Only people with duals from headers back are your supercharged guys that need the unrestricted flow.