Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

how do u remove trans pan- shift cable..

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 03:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do u remove trans pan- shift cable..

i cant for the life of me figure out how to take the 'shift cable' from the bracket, the manual says disconect the ball stud end 'no prob' , but the other end is funny, all i want to do is change the trans fluid and filter but this bracket is in the way- the trans shop say i got to take the cable off and 'jack' up the trans to make clearance wtf im not too confident jackin nothing related to the trans.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:43 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

The shifter cable should just pop off...there's nothing really securing it.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's easier to remove the braket with cable still in it. 2 40 Torx bolts on the top of the braket and it will come off. Getting the pan off is tight between the crossover pipe and the solenoids on the valve body. A big pry bar can usually make enough room to sneak the pan out.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:34 PM
TECH Regular

Default so are you saying

Originally Posted by Mrgoodwrench3
It's easier to remove the braket with cable still in it. 2 40 Torx bolts on the top of the braket and it will come off. Getting the pan off is tight between the crossover pipe and the solenoids on the valve body. A big pry bar can usually make enough room to sneak the pan out.
can i get to these torx fittings things are tight i looked for these torx screws and cant see them and if i get them off what gets pryed ?
Old 10-20-2010, 06:09 PM
TECH Regular

Default can i just disconect the cable

Originally Posted by 40series
can i get to these torx fittings things are tight i looked for these torx screws and cant see them and if i get them off what gets pryed ?
can i just take the cable off the front and get the pan to come out w/o taking the bracket off? .
i went out there and the cross pipe is really in the way and welded in.
Access to the torx screws is tight i was thinking of just dis-connecting the front of the cable and removing the bolts to get the pan out . IS THIS A REALISTIC APPROACH- I JUST DONT WANT TO PAY
Old 10-20-2010, 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

i dont like to do it but have in the past if ive been lazy is i slightly bend the bracket out of the way to get the pan off but do it enough times and youll have fatigued the metal enough for it to break.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the torx bit isnt hard, did you lower the transmission as much as you can? i have a torx socket an i use a long 3/8" shackle.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:27 PM
TECH Regular

Default didnt lower the trans

Originally Posted by iamkeniff
the torx bit isnt hard, did you lower the transmission as much as you can? i have a torx socket an i use a long 3/8" shackle.
i dont know how to lower the trans i do know the torx screws are on the top and are hard to get to very tight space im thinking if i could maybe un hook the cable and work from there but i think i bracket needs to come off or bending it will eventualy break it
Old 10-20-2010, 07:34 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to unhook the cable just undo the nut holding the end onto the shifter and then squeeze the plastic clips holding it to the bracket then push it through the hole. I don't see the issue with that part.

The bracket is the hard part.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:44 PM
TECH Regular

Default bracket is the hard part

Originally Posted by viciousknid
to unhook the cable just undo the nut holding the end onto the shifter and then squeeze the plastic clips holding it to the bracket then push it through the hole. I don't see the issue with that part.

The bracket is the hard part.
yeah im trying to figure out how to approach the bracket and remove it y pipe and shaft in the way

Quick Reply: how do u remove trans pan- shift cable..