Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

how do u remove trans pan- shift cable..

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 07:47 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the y-pipe is likely TIGHT so that you can just pry down a bit if you want. Just dont poke a hole in the transmission on accident.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine had a metal clip that you had to pull out to get the shifter cable off the bracket. then it had to torx screws that held it on..... its not rocket science.... and you can remove the 15mm nut that holds the trans to the x member and lift the trans up a little to give you more room to get the pan out......

to jack it up use a piece of wood... like a 2x6x10 piece of wood and put it on the pan and jack it up easily once you've removed that nut.. then stick something between the xmember and the trans to keep it up... like a piece of a 2x4.....
just be smart and don't force anything... i wouldnt recommend using a prybar...

just get under there and LOOK at whats going on....

i have bent that bracket before too... but its not the right way..
use your head... might take some ingenuity to get them bolts out.. is this a 4wd?? because ive never had an issue getting them torx out...
Old 10-20-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Regular

Default yes its a 4x4 5.3

Originally Posted by fredkj3
mine had a metal clip that you had to pull out to get the shifter cable off the bracket. then it had to torx screws that held it on..... its not rocket science.... and you can remove the 15mm nut that holds the trans to the x member and lift the trans up a little to give you more room to get the pan out......

to jack it up use a piece of wood... like a 2x6x10 piece of wood and put it on the pan and jack it up easily once you've removed that nut.. then stick something between the xmember and the trans to keep it up... like a piece of a 2x4.....
just be smart and don't force anything... i wouldnt recommend using a prybar...

just get under there and LOOK at whats going on....

i have bent that bracket before too... but its not the right way..
use your head... might take some ingenuity to get them bolts out.. is this a 4wd?? because ive never had an issue getting them torx out...
thanks man you've given me alot of good tips im thinking of jacking up the trans rt. ive seen this cross memeber and i guess you mean take it out to gain room to make a move but to jack up the pan i dont get .

plz clarify dude

Last edited by 40series; 10-20-2010 at 11:00 PM. Reason: make corrections
Old 10-20-2010, 10:44 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 10-21-2010, 07:11 AM
TECH Regular

Default ok man i think i uinderstand

Originally Posted by 40series
thanks man you've given me alot of good tips im thinking of jacking up the trans rt. ive seen this cross memeber and i guess you mean take it out to gain room to make a move but to jack up the pan i dont get .

plz clarify dude
i had to sleep on it but i see what your saying- that the trans is connected to the xmember and to unblot that and lift slightly and brace with wood to hold to make room- which all this will give me room to get it out-
Old 10-22-2010, 08:03 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be careful with those torx bolts, they strip very easily, as do most torx fasteners. Be sure to have your torx bit straight and seated completely, and I recommend reinstalling them with anti-seize on the threads so that they come out again the next time you go to drop the fluid