GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

hemi dodge ram

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil_Quick
I have raced 2 reg cab hemis.
the first was around when i first got my truck. i had my heavy rims and tires and that is it(not for sure about my muffler). it was on the freeway at a 40 roll with both of us having a passenger. he said his was stock with a stick. when we started he had the jump and i was staying with his door the whole time except when he would shift and drop back a foot. so I didnt count that race since he didnt seem like he knew how to drive.

The second was with all that is in my sig and at a stop light.he had 2 other passengers and i had 1. the roads were wet and i could not get traction with my GTII's to save my life. even after i finally gripped up he was still pulling on me. but he was defiantly not stock, he had a cut-out or dump for sure.
If it was a Hemi with a stick then it was a 3/4 ton or 1 ton. Can't get one for the 1/2 ton.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by black5.3
Oh don't get me wrong, I like the new Dodge's, there are some pretty clean *** one's around here! Not to mention the way a Dodge V-8 sounds
All I'm trying to get across is that Dodge brought it out making it sound like it was just totally friggin' awesome, then everybody wanted one! Yeah there great BUT they are not what they're made out to be! But when they do start making more after market products for them (like Kenne Bell SC) then they will shine!
I totally agree. Hell, I hope the aftermarket does embrace the platform. There are no fast trucks near me, well, other than the lightning with the Kenne Bell upgraded blower that would hand me my *** with my vortech pumping 12#'s and a jet engine strapped on the roof. Those Rams do look badass with those Ramrod kits and some 22's
Old 03-24-2004, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

MY 04 GMC RC 5.3 ran 14.51 with less than 3000 miles on it stock with only a muffler and ud pulley. Haven't seen any Hemi's around here run even close too that.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The Hemi's are probably faster bone stock...a little.They claim 60 more hp.I think I'm making about about 350 hp at the flywheel with my mods and only the reg cab Hemi's are running in the 14's around here.Dodge does do a good job of dealer customizing,and I've heard that thier financing is easier to get.
We have a '99 ram at work with less miles than I have on my chevy. It's easier to shut the door on a jehovah's witness than on that Dodge.May be an issolated case?All and all it's still a Dodge and how many old ones do you see on the road? There is a reason you see more old chevy trucks... they last.
j.m.o. Your payments = Your decision
Old 03-24-2004, 08:25 PM

Since this is my first Dodge venture I can only compare it to the two Chevy's I owned before, a 95 ext cab with a 5.7L TBI engine and my 00 ext cab with a 5.3l engine, both had 3.73 LS rear ends. The 95 was a good truck, no problems but it wasn't fast at all. The 00 was a much better truck, being five years newer it had a little more features than the 95 had, again a great truck but much faster than the 95. No to my 04 Ram, I simply love it! It may be the new truck thing, but I can't wait to drive it. It has more power stock than my 00 did but I feel it should since the Hemi is rate at 345 hp and 375 tq, the 00 5.3L was rated at 285 hp and 325 tq. From my research on the KBB website the QC Ram is about 300 lbs heavier than my ext cab Silverado. KBB had the Silverado at 4550 in base LS trim and the Ram at about 4850 in base form with no options other than standard equipment. When I weighed my Silverado at the track it weighed 4810 lbs in full street trim and 1/4 tank of gas, nothing taken off to save weight. I definitly feel my Ram is over 5000 lbs, about 5200 if I had to say just from how it feels compared to the Silverado but I'm just pulling that number out of my ***. The Silverado had 3.73 gears with 30" tall tires, my Ram has 33" tall tires with 3.92 gears, my Ram isn't real quick off the line but the Hemi can spin the tires some by punching it or it will spin them real could if I power brake it. Now, the Silverado wouldn't spin the tires stock at all, not even if I power braked it, nothing! My modded 00 Silverado would roast the tires if I power braked it before I sold it. I feel the Ram goes pretty well considering its about 300-400 lbs heavier than the Silverado. My 4x2 Ram also has tires that are taller (275/60R20) than the tires that comes on a 4x4 Z71 (265/75R16), 33" to 31.6". I think if my Ram had the 30" tall tires that were on my Silverado (275/60R17), it would absolutly roast them since it can spin the 33" tires some. I know when I put taller tires on my Silverado (265/70R16) it lost over 1/2 second on it's 0-60 time, the tires were on the Escalade rims I bought. I opted to go to the smaller tires to get the performance back. So except for the transfer case that a 4x4 truck has, my Ram looks more like 4x4 than 4x2 considering it's weight, tires size and ride height. I didn't buy it because the Hemi is the baddest engine out there, I simpy got it because of the choice of a 4.7L or the 5.7L, I got the bigger engine, I always do. Maybe I should race a Z71 ext cab condering we're about the same weight and tire size, and see how I do?
Jim
Old 03-24-2004, 08:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Hows your fuel mileage?
Old 03-24-2004, 09:38 PM
v8
17,16,15,14,13,12,11 Drvr

hey "the other dodge" i have never seen you at HRP. But 01 thunder has a friend with a rcsb Hemi with the free mods and he only ran a best of 15.00 at HRP! Im not saying you cant run that fast in the 1/4 but maybe you can help 01 thunders friend with a few things and maybe we all can meet at the track? later ,kevin
Old 03-24-2004, 09:51 PM
v8
17,16,15,14,13,12,11 Drvr

oh yea and to the dodge guy that browse this sight that think the dodge SRT-10 is the answer to the lighting last friday night at HRP it ran a 14.5 and a 14.7 with TM removed and air box tweeked with no tire spin. And before you go and say he didnt know how to drive it he drove lightings for years and has other fast cars that he races! all he could tell me is that the truck falls on its face after take off later, kevin
Old 03-24-2004, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.0
Hows your fuel mileage?
Lousy! But, I didn't buy it because it got good mileage. My last tank was only 12.1, my mpg idicator say this tank is getting 12.3 mpg, 75% of my driving is around town. My Silverado only got about 14.1 so I'm about 2 mpg lower. From everything I've read and been told on the Dodge sites, it will get better. If it does great, if it doesn't oh well, I didn't buy to save gas. I'll see what happens when I get the so called magical 150 hour mark, guys are swearing it's a PCM managed break in and the PCM switching to a program that gives better mpg and more power. There are to many guys exepriencing this for it to be a fluke, there was a post today about it. The guy gets in his truck and starts to go like usual but his truck feels like it's got alot more power, spinning tires when it wouldn't before. When he gets home from running his errands he checks his hour meter and it's at 153, he hit the magical 150 mark it seems. I have a while to wait but if it's true, all the better.
Jim
Old 03-24-2004, 11:14 PM
Staging Lane

When I first got the truck I was somewhat disspointed in the performance and mileage. I ran a 15.69 and was getting about 14.0 on the highway ave 74 mph. I was content with that since it is a truck and didn't get it to race. But about 10,000 miles later, I noticed my mileage improving. Now I get around 16.5 at 74 mpg and ran a 15.18! My truck weighs 5200 lbs.

I have only ran it twice at the track, but it has been there numerous times...pulling my Challenger. I have only got 3 passes with the truck so I don't even know if I am optimizing my times with different launch techniques, etc.

Next time I am at the track and you see my red 72 Challenger, stop by and say "hi". There are a few pointers about the truck that I can help with. Lot of the guys here on the forums know me (Raughammer, Nineball, etc.)

Quick Reply: hemi dodge ram