Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Help Me Pick an Automotive "College"

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 03:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Me Pick an Automotive "College"

Hey all. I have a question/dilemma that I would like some advice on. What I want to do after high school is join an automotive school. However me and my parents know it's best for me to attend college first, get a bachelor's degree and then go to my automotive school. My degree would help me progress up the ladder as far as promotions are concerned in the future. However, I just don't know if I can take 4 years of college. I can barely stand high school except for my welding class. The rest of the classes are just a bunch of junk to me and I only hang out with people who know cars. So here's what I'm looking for. I'm looking for an automotive college. Such as NADC (Nashville Auto Diesel College) they offer a Automotive/Associates degree in Physical science or Business. However I'm looking for an automotive school that will allow me to achieve a bachelor's degree while I'm there(doesn't matter what the degree is in, just as long as I have one ). I really want to attend SAM (School of Automotive Machinist) because they only deal with high performance engine building and the companies that higher SAM students are the best of the best (Henderick motor sports, Lingenfelter, etc.)
So, can any of you all help me out on an Automotive school/Bachelor's degree.
Thanks!!!!

P.S.- Mods, can you please leave this in the truck section because I'm familiar with who they are, thanks.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:37 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wyotech seems to have a good grad/hire rate. I know alot of rod shops in this area look for wyotech grads.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

wyotech in my decision, I got married or I would have ended up going. plus you will get qualified in 6 month and then you can pick your trade of choice and do it for I beleive like another 6-8 weeks. they will come out and talk to you, they came out to my house and said they would even give scholarships becasue people like jay leno give money for kids who do certain things. good luck, you don't understand how important this could be to the rest of your life. no pressure
Old 09-22-2004, 05:11 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, I really wanted to go to Wyotech, but I let my parents and girlfriend (now wife) talk me into going for a bachelor's. While I'm happy with my decision, I still regret not going. If you really want to get a bachelor's with your automotive, go to a community college, get your associates degree in automotive technology and then transfer to a university and finish another two years to get a bachelors in business or something. Good luck.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:52 PM
12 Second Club

Just take anything they promise you with a grain of salt.....my friend graduated from UTI and they said he would have all sorts of job opportunities.....hes been changing oil at dealerships for 2 years.

But with a bachelors you would most likely have better luck.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

GO TO SAM!!!

it is the best school in the nation for Automotive Machining..

I am currently being Taught by there head teacher, let alone they work for us, and many other high end companies, like Livernois, lingenfelter, Hendrick, Roush, Yates, Koontz racing, and MANY MORE. They are the BEST OF THE BEST.

UTI is a joke.. (not trying to downplay others who have attended there, because it has its high points)

SAM was also a sponsor here at LS1tech, but did not get another 6 month advertising here.

Look into SAM, But PLEASE be serious about it when you come, because Judson and Erik and Pat will weed out the punk asses.

Good luck

Gray
Old 09-22-2004, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had a girlfriend and a friend that went to UTI in Arizona... My girlfriend cant get a job anywhere, she says because shes a girl. But shes will get a job once she graduates from the VW program. And my buddie graduated from the diesel program and he now works for the county where i live, and makes pretty good money.

But like 03GMC said take what they say with a grain of salt cause they promise alot... also if you do look into the UTI in Arizona, i hope you like getting your truck stolen, broken into, or keyed.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would say go to Wyotech. I have a friend that went to Wyotech and one that went to UTI Houston. The one from UTI changes oil at a Chevy dealership, the one from Wyotech makes $21 an hour workin for Benz in Florida
Old 09-22-2004, 07:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BigBronco
GO TO SAM!!!

it is the best school in the nation for Automotive Machining..

I am currently being Taught by there head teacher, let alone they work for us, and many other high end companies, like Livernois, lingenfelter, Hendrick, Roush, Yates, Koontz racing, and MANY MORE. They are the BEST OF THE BEST.

UTI is a joke.. (not trying to downplay others who have attended there, because it has its high points)

SAM was also a sponsor here at LS1tech, but did not get another 6 month advertising here.

Look into SAM, But PLEASE be serious about it when you come, because Judson and Erik and Pat will weed out the punk asses.

Good luck

Gray
i second that, i am so ready to go, but financial situations strapped me down hard, maybe later
Old 09-22-2004, 08:58 PM

My soon to be son-in-law went to Wyotech, he loved it. He got out and was able to get a job at an autobody shop right away (he took body, paint & interior work). He finished very high in class and his Wyotech teacher gave him a recommendation to a BMW instructor that came around. BMW actually sent him through their body and paint school, an paid him a small salary while he was in school. He just graduated the BMW school and got a job right away at a BMW certified shop. He has to work for BMW for like 2-3 years or he has to pay for his schooling but as long as he honors his contract and works for them the required length of time, the school was free.
Y2K

Quick Reply: Help Me Pick an Automotive "College"