Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

fun night of tuning

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 09:03 AM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fun night of tuning

alright so as you all have read with my CONSTANT flow of problems i finally got around to having charlie tune my truck away from the 20*WOT timing, 6000shift point etc..... we get some good logging done, end up with 31* timing WOT, KR@22* my ***...and shift at 6400...pulls HARD then we decided to hit my initial start up idle. as it is i have to gas it immediatly on start up and it will fly up to 2000 and work its way down then idle smoothly, otherwise it sputters 3 times and die. my fuel trims are CRAZY off. like +12-+16 across the board. disable the MAF and try to zero out the VE table. after cruising around and logging for about thirty minutes i come to roll through a stop light and im thinkin to myself, "wow smells like mexican food, weird for 230am..." charlies like dude whats the smoke, sooo....i see a train of smoke following me and i pull into the nearest parking lot. at this point with all my problems im thinking motor oil and he's like "do you have any water" ...weird question..me, "why do you ask, no BTW." he says, "oh, just incase the oil catches on fire....." WTF. needless to say we stop, turn the engine off pop the hood, smoke EVERYWHERE!. turn out, as someone was saying just yesterday, the inline filter was impeding flow so much that the line from the radiator to the filter buldged and split for about 2 inches. after we calm down a little realizing that the engine oil is intact, and it probably only lost about a qt of fluid he mentions we lost ALL the logging for the VE table. so o well, truck isnt on fire, walmart is just accorss the road and its 24hr so we go there and i quickly bypass the filter and reroute the trans line so doesnt have to do that crazy stuff. in essence, at 330am i said i am done, we can take care of the idle tomorrow so ill be seeing him this evening to get my VE and MAF tables in check. sorry for the long post just had to tell everyone my funny story.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:39 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like an exciting evening...... Well, at least no damage done and your tune is definately improving!
Old 08-19-2006, 09:45 AM

yea it is improving greatly, there is suhc a SOTP difference and i have never barked the 20"'s from a 3-1 downshift before but it definitly did it. im very happy with charlie not to mention he's a stand up guy, didnt even want payment until everything was smoothed out.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:25 AM
TECH Veteran

That's got to be aggrevating. Keep us UTD
Old 08-19-2006, 10:28 AM

im actually happy with it now, very happy. after a couple weeks with the truck missing and runnign crappy i can definitly deal with a rough idle for the first 15 seconds feathering it. runs fine afte that cuz the short term fuel trims are set. but hopefully all thatll get taken care of this evening ill post up the updates
Old 08-19-2006, 11:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Try unplugging the MAF and see if you have to feather it to get it to crank. This is what I did with mine and no more did I have to hold the throttle as I cranked it up. Now, that I have the VE somewhat inline, I have the MAF re enabled and it is doing fine.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:51 AM

haha when we were logging the VE table we have the MAF disabled and it didnt want to idle worth a damn, i had to two foot it at every stop. the MAF table is not nearly as bad as the VE table so when its trying to run without it it pretty much doesnt. BTW, thats what we are trying to do, log the VE with MAF disabled and then get that table up to par and then reenable MAF and log it and get it to match with the VE and then renable both of them and have a happy idle and ignition
Old 08-19-2006, 12:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Are you dialing this in without a WB? Probably ought to invest in one if you don't.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:30 PM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WTF did i read thta right? 22*KR??? if so your **** is way off and wrong. you dont want knock retard!!!!!

your LTFTs and STFT will be determined with overall flowrate vs KPA along with timing and MAF reading

should have them around +5/-5 for Ideal, +4/-4 is excellent and +10/-10 is factory

also on start up try going into VCM controls go to fuel and reset fuel trims. this will help zero out the Trims and let it learn over again
Old 08-19-2006, 02:45 PM

yes you read it wrong. they tuned it and at 22* they got some KR so they had to decrease my WOT timing to 20*....now its at 31* no problems....ha ha nothing crazy going on like that quik

Quick Reply: fun night of tuning