Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Driver side mirror question?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver side mirror question?

Hello all,

I did not find any threads about my questions through the search.

I have an 05 JGR silverado: my side mirrors are power with built-in turn signals, and manual folding...no heat.

Both mirrors (power and signals) work perfectly, no problems there, but I have an issue with the actual mirror housing/assembly of the driver side mirror. At the swivel, or where the mirror folds in toward the door, there is some play. After I push the complete mirror and housing completely out and drive down the road, bumps or the wind push the mirror assembly in about a quarter inch, making it hard to use it while driving...adjusting just the powered mirror doesn't help as it doesn't move it far enough out...so I have to roll my window down to manually push mirror assembly away from door and in it's furthest position. I have tried taping it, but must replace tape often as it starts coming off due to weather and washing the truck. I've also wedged different things at the fold to keep it in place, but they don't stay there for long after driving through construction zones! I've been told at dealer and parts stores that the spring has lost it's strength.

Anyway, my question is...do I have to replace the entire mirror and assembly ($200+) or can I just buy a basic mirror assembly ($50+) and replace the mirror with my built in turn signal one and run the wiring through the triangular base which attaches to the door?

Any help or info would be much appreciated?!?! Thanks in advance. Jeff
Old 12-28-2011, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can swap the glass over to another housing. There are several tabs behind it that you have to release with a tool like a flat head screwdriver; just be sure not to break the glass. Maybe once the glass is out, you will see if it can be fixed or if you need to swap over to the new housing. Also, the cap is taped on with 3M stuff, so if yours is painted to match, it could be a PITA to get it off without damaging it.