Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

In desperate need of help. Misfire issue.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 12:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In desperate need of help. Misfire issue.

I am having a misfire issue I just can't seem to get to the bottom of. All my mods are in the sig. I got in the truck Friday morning to go to work, and when I started it up I noticed it was running a little rough. I drove it to work. It managed to get me there well enough.

After work I decided I would try to diagnose it. It's not setting a CEL and there are no codes stored. I tried to pull up the misfire data on the tech 2 and it shows zero on all cylinders. I used a laser thermometer on the header primaries to determine cylinders #1, 2, & 4 are not firing.

Those cylinders have spark, fuel, and unless the intake manifold runners are clogged air. I have swapped coils, plugs, and injectors from good cylinders with no change. I have checked compression on those cylinders compared to a good one, and its consistent. I have checked cranking and running compression also. Those checked good as well. I also performed a leak down test which showed all was ok. I also swapped PCM's with a spare I have. No change. Fuel pressure is a solid 60psi, and the injectors are pulsing. Valve springs are intact and rocker arms all look good(no play).

What the hell am I missing?
Old 06-18-2018, 01:14 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Change anything since the last time it ran? Pulled the plugs and looked at them? Sure the wires arent burned/shorting to the headers and that they are plugged in all the way to the plug and coil?
Old 06-18-2018, 02:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Atomic
Change anything since the last time it ran? Pulled the plugs and looked at them? Sure the wires arent burned/shorting to the headers and that they are plugged in all the way to the plug and coil?
The only thing I did recently was swap out the stock air filter for the K&N I had sitting around on my shelf. Which I had used before, but I took it out to clean and oil it and didn't put it back in right away. My wife and I drove the truck out to dinner Wednesday night with no issues at all.

The plugs were a little black, but didn't look bad. They weren't really even that wet for being in dead cylinders. I did swap plugs from known good cylinders and nothing changed. The plugs themselves have about 35-40k miles on them. Stock a/c delco plugs. I've had them in since the cam swap a few years ago. I also got a new plug and tried it on cylinder #4 with no change. The wires aren't touching the headers and do no appear to be burnt. I have also swapped wires from different cylinders with no change, and I don't see any arcing.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:08 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Oil on maf sensor from k&n? Bad gas maybe? Just throwing ideas out seeing you’ve checked everything I would have
Old 06-18-2018, 03:44 PM
I have a gauge for that

What temp are you reading for those cylinders to say its dead?
Old 06-18-2018, 03:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by trxmxzx
Oil on maf sensor from k&n? Bad gas maybe? Just throwing ideas out seeing you’ve checked everything I would have
No oil on MAF sensor. I did recently get fuel, but I've been through 1/2 a tank already.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:04 PM
Staging Lane

What temp are you reading for those cylinders to say its dead?
Ambient basically. By the time the cylinder 8 primary is at 240 degrees or so, cylinders #2 & 4 are around 115 degrees. Same thing on bank 1 with cylinder #1 compared to #3, 5, & 7.

It is possible I have some worn cam lobes not allowing full valve lift on those cylinders? It's not making any noises or anything. I'm really at a loss.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:50 PM
I have a gauge for that

Well a compression or leakdown test is where I would go next if you are sure the ignition system is all working fine.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:52 PM
Staging Lane

Well a compression or leakdown test is where I would go next if you are sure the ignition system is all working fine.
I did a compression test on cylinders 2 & 4 compared to a good cylinder, all normal. A leakdown test on cylinder 4, which is a problem cylinder, didn't show anything abnormal.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:30 PM
I have a gauge for that

Well, thats the air portion...we are down to fuel or spark, and my money is on spark since 95% of the time on these engines a misfire is an ignition issue in my experience.

Quick Reply: In desperate need of help. Misfire issue.