Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Caged trucks only

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 03:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Caged trucks only

I’m looking to cage my truck and I want to hear from members that DD there trucks with a cage in it. I also want to know if there is anything you prefer or would have done before you caged the truck or if you could have changed after the cage install. Also do you prefer thru window or thru cab and why

thanks in advance for any input
Old 07-30-2018, 12:19 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrHorsepowerLSx
I’m looking to cage my truck and I want to hear from members that DD there trucks with a cage in it. I also want to know if there is anything you prefer or would have done before you caged the truck or if you could have changed after the cage install. Also do you prefer thru window or thru cab and why

thanks in advance for any input
I'm in for this one. I am at that point. I am wondering if I can get sneaky and keep all the cage in my ext. cab. I only need a 6point to be legal to 9.99. And if I get there with this sled, awesome!

I added some pics I have been saving that I saw online.

Last edited by AkSSS; 07-30-2018 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Added pics
Old 07-30-2018, 05:31 AM
11 Second Club

I forgot to say that my truck is a RCSB
Old 07-30-2018, 10:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Subscribed! Might be able to get a good answer on Facebook if this doesnt get much attention.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Ive built many >8.50 cages, and am pretty avid into rock crawling. I have an '85 Toyota pickup single cab thats caged, and my suggestion to you and anyone reading this: DO NOT go around the dash on anything. If the dash is that rare, pull it out and sell it. Around the dash fits like ****, commonly breaks knee caps, and make ingress/egress impossible. I built an around the dash kit for an Evo8 because he wanted to keep AC and not cut the dash. He regrets it. I think it looks like trash. All my stuff now goes through the dash or I reject the job.

NHRA will not allow you to plate the cage to the body pan and pass tech. For body on frame vehicles, it has to go to the frame. Do not let your fab guy tell you otherwise, unless he is going to eat the cost of fixing it when you fail tech.

1.75x.120 DOM is cheaper than the 1.625x.118 that the NHRA requires, and they say "minimum" so you're over qualified when you use the 1.75.

Chromo on a street vehicle is a waste, but if you wanna do it, go ahead. The cage will not cert for as long as mild, and the cost far out weighs the weight savings. Build a "heavier" mild steel cage, up the boost 2lbs and keep that extra $2k in your pocket.

Thats all I can think of.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:01 AM
11 Second Club

I don’t do the whole FB thing, but hopefully some people will start chiming in
Old 08-02-2018, 11:53 AM
11 Second Club

I talked to my buddy the other day, he has an 8pt. In his truck that goes thru the back window, he commented that if he ever wanted to pull the cage he could simply replace the back window as opposed to fixing holes in the cab.
I told him that was a good point
Old 08-02-2018, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 343 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by MrHorsepowerLSx
I talked to my buddy the other day, he has an 8pt. In his truck that goes thru the back window, he commented that if he ever wanted to pull the cage he could simply replace the back window as opposed to fixing holes in the cab.
I told him that was a good point
That is a good point. Only advice I've hear is to put swingouts in if you can. Supposedly very hard to get in and out without them with a regular cab but I don't have experience here.

Are you building the cage or having someone do it for you?
Old 08-02-2018, 12:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went into a local fab shop yesterday waiting to hear back on the quote. 1 7/8" cromoly 8 pt cage thru the dash. I'll let yall know what the quote is if anyone is interested. I also talked to him about the prefabbed rhodes kit and he happened to have one there in the shop but showed me why he didn't like it. The bends seem to have been bent on the wrong type of bender and they are ovaled.
Old 08-04-2018, 04:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by wretched73
That is a good point. Only advice I've hear is to put swingouts in if you can. Supposedly very hard to get in and out without them with a regular cab but I don't have experience here.

Are you building the cage or having someone do it for you?
I questioned Atco dragway about the swing outs, they said that you can now go 8.50 and slower with them.
That right there was more then enough for me to reallly start thinking about the cage.

As far as doing it my self, I may take the road trip S&W race cars and see there cage first hand. I may have them custom build me one. Or I will go to the chassis builder that my tuner uses and have him fab me up a cage.

I’d be perfectly content with a 6pt cage, because I wouldn’t have to make a back window lol

Quick Reply: Caged trucks only