Old 08-15-2018, 11:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Page 21 (might auto link to 21) starts the goods:

http://promod.nhra.com/userfiles/fil...en.%20Regs.pdf
Old 08-15-2018, 02:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

The track told me at tech inspection, no faster then 11.50/125mph or I need at least a 6pt. If I want to go faster
Old 08-16-2018, 01:24 AM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I’ll admit, 4K for a single cab cage even in chromoly is cringe worthy...
It could be the difference between life and death.

Make sure your fabricator tucks the tubing closer to the stock sheet metal. Ideally close enough for them to be welded to each other. Proper gussets around the B pillar. Door bars around the seats.
As stated above..always go through the dash.
Shop around for the right person and dont be a cheap ***.
Look towards the high speed OffRoad guys.
Never understood why people complain about the price of safety while blowing 10k or more on performance.

You can’t race when you’re dead.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Mconcha
Make sure your fabricator tucks the tubing closer to the stock sheet metal. Ideally close enough for them to be welded to each other. Proper gussets around the B pillar. Door bars around the seats.
As stated above..always go through the dash.
DO NOT, ever, under any circumstance weld a cage to the body of a body on frame vehicle that has an NHRA legal cage. You can get away with it when the cage lands on the floor pan (not NHRA legal) but if the cage lands to the frame (as is NHRA required) the body mounts will flex, and if the rigid cage is welded to the semi-movable body, something has to give and its gonna be the body sheet metal. Bad juju. Only track cars and cars that get replaced every so often should have the cage welded to the body. Anything driven daily or more than track only will eventually tear, unibodies included, to a much lesser extent.

I value everyone's' opinion. However I would like to interject that A) Chromo may not be the difference between life and death. There has be no documented case where a driver's death was directly linked to the cage material. Design and build quality, yes. Material? No. To give a bit of back story here, the reason for chromo is to save weight. That is why you use thinner wall chromo, save weight. If someone wanted to make the strongest cage they could, it would be 2" OD (dont forget the strength comes from OD, not wall thickness) and .120 thick chromo.

I would be willing to put my money where my mouth is, lets build identical cages; 1.75x.120 DOM and 1.625x.083 chromo and crush test them. The results will likely surprise you.

The reason chromo cages are so much money is that they need to be tig welded= exponentially more time and material to finish the cage. The raw material cost is within 50% of each other last I checked, but at $200 a stick, its still expensive.
The following users liked this post:
wretched73 (08-16-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 04:02 PM
Launching!

I come from the world of OffRoad, where it is ideal to have the cage/ cab/ frame all welded together to benifit over all safety/rigidity/longevity. My bad.

Whether it a drag car or race truck, at the highest level they are all tube chassis. Wouldn’t welding everything together in a street truck (cage to frame and body) so everything becomes one structure essentially have the same effect as a tube chassis is all as one?

Old 08-16-2018, 08:16 PM
TECH Veteran

No, because if the frame is tied to the cage, the cage can't move with the cab. The cab is only mounted on bushings and flexes a lot. You would need to solid mount the cab to save the sheet metal. Or have the cage tied only to the cab floor, which isn't NHRA legal.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
Seeing these prices make me never want to put a cage in my truck.
No doubts here! My catch to this is I just don't wanna die if something ever does happen. A 6k lbs rolling truck at 120mph + makes me nervous. I want a cage to be safe, not because I want it. Street truck. I'm so torn.

My track requires my year of vehicle to have a 6-point cage to run anything faster than a 11.49. IHRA allows anything 08 and newer to go up to a 10.00 without a cage. So far they haven't kicked me. They told me to stop running one night, for just that night. They (the track) encourages street cars to come to the track. I think that is the only reason why they keep letting me come back.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by arthursc2
No, because if the frame is tied to the cage, the cage can't move with the cab. The cab is only mounted on bushings and flexes a lot. You would need to solid mount the cab to save the sheet metal. Or have the cage tied only to the cab floor, which isn't NHRA legal.
My apologies. I figured solid body mounts were assumed when I said cab/frame/ cage connected. Everything connected.

Im also not taking into what the NHRA deems safe by their standard. If solid body mounts on a vehicle that is caged as I described are illegal, then there must be a discrepancy.

If there is a full tube chassis car sitting next to steel car with a full cage front to back- solid cab mounts - and cab welded to the cage...
At the end of the day...
they are both one solid object, the steel cab vehicle just weighs more
Old 08-17-2018, 08:08 AM
TECH Veteran

That's true. NHRA allows solid body mounting, but the cage still has to land on the frame for body on frame vehicles.

More than 1 road to Rome, and a "free standing" cage is still 100x better than no cage

Quick Reply: Caged trucks only