Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Would you run this motor if it was yours?

Old 09-06-2014, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
I only See a few spec in the picture you posted. How did the new oil look???
I would throw some Cheap oil in, but toss in 1 Quart of tranny fluid and bring it up to temp and let it run for 15 minutes. Then cut it open and look again

The Dirt/Carbon is from the last oil change and poor maintenance.

I have seen pans pulled off of running motors with sludge sitting in the bottom of them.
this^^^^

i have a junkyard 5.3 in my truck with low oil pressure. it has about 15psi at idle and 50 at wide open throttle. i cut my oil filter open every oil change and it still looks good. i even swapped oil pumps and cam retainer plate thinking that was the problem. the first 2 oil changes (1st at 100 miles and 2nd at 500 miles) looked bad, the sludge/trash cleared up after that.
Old 09-06-2014, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like dirt/carbon to me too. Can always check the filter media with a magnet and see what you pick up
Old 09-06-2014, 01:15 PM

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

I thought this was the new oil filter?
Old 09-06-2014, 04:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Last time I saw this junk in a motor, it had the Castech heads and oil and antifreeze had been mixing. One we caught early and it has had 0 problems in 30k miles. The other he ran for at least a year with this problem before it was fixed and the damage was adding up. Make sure to check your rocker arms and push rods if go through it . It clogged this one up and chewed up the tips and rockers.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:12 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
I thought this was the new oil filter?
It is, but he said the oil was really black and dirty before changing it.

IMO, I am sure the motor was not taken care of. Personally when I encounter this I run cheap oil with at least 1 quart of tranny fluid through it. Trans fluid has detergents in it that will help loosen up all the loose Carbon build up. The other option would be marvel mystery oil or some type of engine oil system flush but its much more expensive than Trans fluid and you're just going to dump it anyway.

It may not have been full of oil when they thought it lost oil pressure. If you run them hard when they are low you can suck the pan dry.

I would flush it again with trans fluid and a cheap filter. If there are no strange noises and it has pressure, I would change the oil to whatever you prefer with a good filter and run it.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree with 1 fastbrick. It looks like carbon/trash from not taking care of the engine. I would do a good flush with transmission fluid. I would run about 500 miles with the trans fluid then change it. The about 500 before u change it next time put more trans fluid in and u should be good. It dont hurt to put 2 quarts in if u want to.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:40 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

So how about 5 quarts of trans fluid? Jk. I think I'll try to clean it and then change it out anyways...but then I'm gambling if the 6.0 I'm wanting to put in is not in the same condition. Just trying to find the right swap out for the right price.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

I here ya. Im thinkin really hard on a 6.0 swap myself.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trxmxzx
So how about 5 quarts of trans fluid? Jk. I think I'll try to clean it and then change it out anyways...but then I'm gambling if the 6.0 I'm wanting to put in is not in the same condition. Just trying to find the right swap out for the right price.
At least you could pull the covers off of the 6.0L before you put it in the truck. Aside from that crap in the filter, how does it run?
Old 09-08-2014, 07:56 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ChevyThunder17
At least you could pull the covers off of the 6.0L before you put it in the truck. Aside from that crap in the filter, how does it run?
Very true- the motor runs quite no foreign noises, no lifter noise

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Would you run this motor if it was yours?