Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Why would STS base kit be making 10psi+ ????

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 11:10 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish i could help you out on this one, but it looks like everbody has it covered . I would try trtturbo's suggestion, it could be possible.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:40 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quicksilverados wastegate diaphragm had a small pinched part but it seems to function properly and we didnt try to move it in fear of it tearing. Might check for a hole in the diapragm
Old 02-20-2005, 04:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by trtturbo
just out of curiosity, have you checked it with a manual gauge? I have seen slightly higher psi out of the .4 bar spring at times, but never 10psi. Is the spring large or small? The smaller one fits on the center part or raised area of the inside of the wastegate and a larger one would go in the bigger area around the outside. I wouldnt think there is a chance of this, but hell, its worth a shot.

Took the wastegate off and measured the spring,
3.285" long (about 3-1/4")
1.892" in diameter (about 1-7/8")
Red in color
has about 6 coils

There was a small amount of water in the dirty side of the waste gate, none on the vent side where the rubber diaphram is, and none behind the diaphram.

The diaphram seems to be fine, no rips or holes.

Is there supposed to be a gasket under the aluminum wastegate cover where the allen screws hold it on?

Because on mine there is not a gasket, just aluminum on aluminum.

The piston controlling pressure relief seemed to be a little sticky but that may be the cold or the condensation I spoke of.

Any of this send up a flag??
Old 02-20-2005, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

clean out the wastegate as best as you can, throw it back on and see if it works.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by chris99gmc
clean out the wastegate as best as you can, throw it back on and see if it works.
Alreday done, the roads are covered with snow and ice now, not to mention the trans slipping, so boost will be very hard to check with no engine load to build boost. THIS SUCKS *** !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-20-2005, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just thought of one more thing that you didnt mention. When you put the wastegate on, did you seat the ring between the flange and the wastegate. I dont think it would cause the excessive boost, I'm just thinking out loud. The ring should seat in the bottom of the wastegate before installing.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:57 AM
TECH Veteran

I just thought of one more thing that you didnt mention. When you put the wastegate on, did you seat the ring between the flange and the wastegate. I dont think it would cause the excessive boost, I'm just thinking out loud. The ring should seat in the bottom of the wastegate before installing.
I'll double check that but I think it good.
Thanks for the feed back!
Old 02-21-2005, 11:40 AM
TECH Resident

Test your wastegate and see what pressure it opens at. hook up some kind of air compressor to the vacuum hose and see if the gate opens at 5 psi. If it opens, then that eliminates the wastegate problem.

also where is your boost gauge hooked up?
Old 02-21-2005, 11:47 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had some work done at a local exhaust shop and they took off my wastegate and promptly lost the seat. I can tell you from experience, you won't get excessive boost from this I got 4 psi
Old 02-21-2005, 03:59 PM
TECH Veteran

For clarification are you taliking about the stainless steel ring that looks like this??
Attached Thumbnails Why would STS base kit be making 10psi+  ????-dsc01791-small.jpg  

Quick Reply: Why would STS base kit be making 10psi+ ????