Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Vortec 5.3 Head Replacement (Castech 706 crack)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 11:16 AM
Trucks Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Intake gaskets are re-useable, Valve cover gaskets are not a necessity. We keep all the GM OEM gaskets in stock, as well as ARP bolts, give us a call.
Old 04-25-2022, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the same boat in dire straits and would really appreciate if anyone could help me find some cylinder heads to replace the ones on my 5.3 liter 350 vortec. My current ones are the 706 stamped castech heads and I'm experiencing the disappearing coolant issue outlined in the service bulletin, so naturally I am wanting to avoid using that particular casting. In any event, this is my daily driver and(as im sure is the case with many of us) I don't have much money to work with. I recently was laid off so the timing could be better. Anyway if anyone has any heads for sale or suggestions(for free lol) it would be greatly appreciated, my local salvage doesn't have much stock of this type. I will be doing the head replacement myself. Again, thanks in advance!!
Old 04-25-2022, 08:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

5.3 isn't 350. It's about 325 or so. Not that it's material to your question, butt, always better to keep your details under control.

That said, I can't speak to "laid off" or "budget" or any of that; although I'm just as unwilling to spend any more than I have to to get anything done that I want. Butt at a certain level, it costs what it costs, and if ya wanna play, ya gotta pay. Nobody wants to pay hot-rodder prices to get their work truck running; we get that; no need to beat us over the head about it.

There are any number of people that sell "repaired" (welded up) 706s, for fairly cheeeeeeep. I've used these guys for such things before https://www.headsonly.com; I'd bet Jasper and abuncha other places would be not too much different. It's a pretty common thing to have happen.
Old 04-25-2022, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RB04Av
5.3 isn't 350. It's about 325 or so. Not that it's material to your question, butt, always better to keep your details under control.

That said, I can't speak to "laid off" or "budget" or any of that; although I'm just as unwilling to spend any more than I have to to get anything done that I want. Butt at a certain level, it costs what it costs, and if ya wanna play, ya gotta pay. Nobody wants to pay hot-rodder prices to get their work truck running; we get that; no need to beat us over the head about it.

There are any number of people that sell "repaired" (welded up) 706s, for fairly cheeeeeeep. I've used these guys for such things before https://www.headsonly.com; I'd bet Jasper and abuncha other places would be not too much different. It's a pretty common thing to have happen.
Thank you much!
Old 05-05-2022, 04:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

If I was out of work and had a cracked castech I would pour bars leaks aluminum seal in it and come back to the issue when I had time and money to fix it right.

I've had customers in the past in bad need of help with no money, the bars leak aluminum stuff worked wonders for them. I've seen it seal big leaks in seconds.

I HATE additives and snake oil and band aids, but sometimes that's what we have to work with due to circumstances