Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vortec 5.3 Head Replacement (Castech 706 crack)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortec 5.3 Head Replacement (Castech 706 crack)

Long time lurker. Thanks for all of the valuable info. I could use a bit of help now...

I have a 2003 Silverado, 5.3L with Castech 706 heads. Driver side head is cracked at the rear mounting bolt in the oil drain (pic attached). I am aware of this TSB:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/Bl...t_loss_5.3.pdf

and have read a bunch of threads dealing with the issue. I want to replace both of the heads with non-Castech heads and have been searching for a while but all re-manufactured heads I have found are Castech (since there are so many bad ones). Does anyone know where I can find non-Castech re-manufactured heads?

Also, this is my parts list so far. Any additions?:
new heads
#89017252 5.3L/4.8L Complete Head gasket kit
#12498545 Head Bolt kit
New exhaust manifold collector(?) gaskets
I also wanted to replace the bolts that hold the exhaust manifolds on since they seem to break. Should I do this? Any recommendations?

My truck is in pieces and I need to get this resolved quickly. Worst case is to get one re-manufactured Castech head and put it back together but I would really like a long term solution to the problem. Any other ideas? Thanks everyone!
Attached Thumbnails Vortec 5.3 Head Replacement (Castech 706 crack)-crack.jpg  
Old 12-03-2010, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just pick up a set of 799/243 heads get them milled and put them on.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:47 PM

Would I need to do anything else or would I just drop them in? How much would I need to get them milled? I am trying to avoid things like getting a custom tune.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:48 PM
Laid Back

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...ighlight=heads

If none of these work out for you, send me a PM. I have two sets of non-castech 862's in my garage...
Old 12-04-2010, 11:07 AM

Thanks Beatdown. I sent some PMs to the members in the above links.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:51 PM

Located a set of 862 heads. Turns out West Coast Cylinder Head is right in my backyard!

So I need new head bolts, head gaskets, intake gasket, valve cover gaskets, exhaust manifold gaskets, and the collector gasket. Am I missing anything?

What about the bolts that hold the exhaust manifold on that are notorious for breaking... any suggestions?

Last edited by HitIt; 12-06-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Unfortunately, I am in the EXACT same position you are. I have my bros truck down to the shortblock due to two cracked castech heads. I picked up a set of rebuilt 862s. While I am not going to try to defer you from buying new gaskets becuase it is a good idea, Ive never once replaced intake manifold or exhaust manifold gaskets when Ive had one apart. I dont plan to this time around either. I just ordered a head gasket kit, one exhuast mani bolt, two water pump gaskets, and a complete head bolt kit and it was 125 bucks shipped. (35 was for rush shipping).
Old 04-19-2012, 05:53 PM
KB1

Default 2004 silverado with castech Head Prob.

I am experiencing a loss of coolant, as described in the All Data Tech.Serv bulletin #06-06-01-019B Problem for me is that this Engine was put into my truck in Nov. 2010. Started having problems about 9 months out. I do not want to use Castech at all, if they are still showing up in Re-maned engines in 2010. What the heck can I do?
Old 04-19-2012, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HitIt
Located a set of 862 heads. Turns out West Coast Cylinder Head is right in my backyard!

So I need new head bolts, head gaskets, intake gasket, valve cover gaskets, exhaust manifold gaskets, and the collector gasket. Am I missing anything?

What about the bolts that hold the exhaust manifold on that are notorious for breaking... any suggestions?

Call Texas Performance, they normally have this stuff in stock. The bolts you want are the ARP's, gaskets normally Felpro, just to name a few. I'm sure someone has other options.

Sponsor link to the right >>>>>

Lisa
Old 04-19-2012, 07:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HitIt
Yes on the new head bolts (GM or ARP) and yes on the new head gaskets (GM MLS). No on the valve cover and intake gaskets, they are reusable. The exhaust manifold gaskets sometimes can be reused. Texas Speed has a head swap gasket and bolt kit that is good.

Quick Reply: Vortec 5.3 Head Replacement (Castech 706 crack)