Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Volant failure in HEAVY RAIN trip

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 05:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by White Buffalo
Ya, OK...I see your point...I would have accepted the prefilter and filter had they not trashed me on the install accusations. I mean ...REALLY....my fault...Hmmmm

The only reason I'm trashing them is for the accusations that "I MISS INSTALLED THE SCOOP."

AND

I'm also peeved that the filter was originally advertised when I bought it as being OK to get wet. It is not. It's supposed to be good for 100,000miles.

By using Donaldson's® PowerCore® Filtration Technology submicron contaminants load on the surface rather than collecting in the depth of the filter. This boosts efficiency and increases performance on your aftermarket air intake system. The filter media won't deteriorate as easily as traditional cotton/gauze filters. Plus, it's water resistant, so getting wet won't ruin your air flow or cause a decrease in performance. This is why we warranty our replacement air-filters for 4 years or 100,000 miles in urban conditions, whichever comes first.

It's not.

It never even had a "prefilter" offered when I bought this.

There's only a certain amount of water resistance a piece of cloth can have before it doesn't flow air anymore...

Rain and water like that would make me check my stock air box, let alone a ram air setup...

Last edited by drperry; 09-18-2011 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Stuffs
Old 09-23-2011, 09:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by drperry
There's only a certain amount of water resistance a piece of cloth can have before it doesn't flow air anymore...

Rain and water like that would make me check my stock air box, let alone a ram air setup...
EH, lesson learned.

Hopefully, someone will read this and not experience the same thing.

I think I'll just stick with the stock setup for now. I've been rammed enough by the Volant Ram Air Scoop.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

EH, lesson learned.

Hopefully, someone will read this and not experience the same thing.

I think I'll just stick with the stock setup for now. I've been rammed enough by the Volant Ram Air Scoop.

lol!

Stick with the factory box, and get the MIT, with a drop in filter, and you'll be set
Old 09-23-2011, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ya, OK...I see your point...I would have accepted the prefilter and filter had they not trashed me on the install accusations. I mean ...REALLY....my fault...Hmmmm

The only reason I'm trashing them is for the accusations that "I MISS INSTALLED THE SCOOP."

AND

I'm also peeved that the filter was originally advertised when I bought it as being OK to get wet. It is not. It's supposed to be good for 100,000miles.

By using Donaldson's® PowerCore® Filtration Technology submicron contaminants load on the surface rather than collecting in the depth of the filter. This boosts efficiency and increases performance on your aftermarket air intake system. The filter media won't deteriorate as easily as traditional cotton/gauze filters. Plus, it's water resistant, so getting wet won't ruin your air flow or cause a decrease in performance. This is why we warranty our replacement air-filters for 4 years or 100,000 miles in urban conditions, whichever comes first.

It's not.

It never even had a "prefilter" offered when I bought this.
Getting wet is OK, but getting wet and getting SOAKED are very different things. I have a homemade ram air with a K&N intake system on my truck. If it rains I ALWAYS place a towel in the bottom of the air box. I hope everything works out for you.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would never run a set up with only one inlet that low. I would cut a hole in the side of the airbox or something, so if the tube gets submerged, it doesn't suck water up like a straw.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:58 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It still pulls air from the side, all of the Volant boxes do. This is just an added cold air inlet, that pulls from down low.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

Exactly, as soon as I saw rain down here, id always stuff towels on bottom scoop and top of air box, for fear of this.

One day when servicing my filter there was a flyer (advertisement) that the scoop sucked up. Lol