PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/)
-   -   Volant failure in HEAVY RAIN trip (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/volant-failure-heavy-rain-trip-488452/)

White Buffalo 09-10-2011 08:59 AM

Volant failure in HEAVY RAIN trip

Be careful with the Volant PowerCore. I drove through 6 Hrs of left over bits of a tropical storm system over this labor day and the PowerCore got so plugged and saturated with water that the White Buffalo started hesitating and bucking on the hills.

I read the codes with the Predator and found the MAF was having fits. I opened the box to find a spongey Powercore that was so wet it was collapsing in on itself.

Now, good 'ole Volant claims it was the use of their air scoop which they claimed was not sold for the Avalanche even though it fit from their box to the tow hook just like their instructions said it would for the Avalanche and Silverado. Funny thing I noted is that they now offer a "prefilter" to help with water, mud, sand, etc....makes one start to wonder when all the filter and prefilter crap gets as restrictive as the General's own solution!

Just be advised that scoops and CAI can be a problem in harsh environments. This thing about shut me down in the hills of Virginia on a rainy day!!!! :mad:

I had to limp home to NC!!!

I also noted that when cleaning up the MAF today that the PowerCore must have let some nice salty road water in over the winter because the wires looked green, corroded, and salt crystals were everywhere. It might be time for a new MAF. :barf:

SC6PT0 09-10-2011 10:07 AM

I have a volant with a scoop on the tow hooks. Although we don't get alot of rain in SoCal. I always put a bunch of rags down there to soak up the water when it does rain. As I use to see moisture in the airbox at times. It's no longer my daily driver, so I wont have that issue anymore. Sorry to hear that though.

White Buffalo 09-10-2011 01:09 PM

Just wanted to share this with others.

Be careful with this setup or it will come back to bite you and Volant may try to blame it on YOUR miss use of their product which SUCKS so well it vacuums up enough to kill itself and your truck!!

If you are running one of these keep a CLOSE eye on it and your MAF!!! :eek2:

budhayes3 09-10-2011 01:18 PM

I have the Volant with scoop, and I run an Amsoil dry filter with it. I keep my eye on it for fear of water intrusion, and so far have been OK. Be happy that all you lost was a MAF and filter, for if water would have gotten into your intake you could have hydrolocked the engine :nod: A lot of car manufacturers have similar "ram air" setups straight from the factory, and these are on cars that are generally lower to the ground than our trucks. I've seen more than one of those engines hydrolocked after big rain.

Volant's answer to you is BS IMO...Avalanche, pickup, doesn't make a difference in that design :nono:

White Buffalo 09-12-2011 07:05 PM

I'm done with these Volant guys!! What a bunch of B.S. !!!!

Granted I may have sounded ticked off in the emails copied below but....some of you may have been also.

Be careful dealing with these guys!!

Read them from the bottom up......

Hey Danny,

Your suggestions are not well founded and I do not accept you blaming me for this incident with accusations you cannot qualify.

Your product could damage a vehicle under harsh driving conditions and YOU know it.

I’m posting this experience on every truck forum I know. Funny thing is that forum members agree that your blaming me for this failure of YOUR product which was properly installed per your directions is a load of BULL! Interesting that you cannot and will not qualify your accusations. This product was NOT modified and neither was the vehicle it was installed into. It fit as advertised! No cutting! No Trimming! The system was installed EXACTLY per YOUR company’s instructions.

My next move is to finish up my posts with pictures of your 100k filter which collapsed in on itself and these emails.

I would advise you that you should change the generic statement on YOUR site about the 35853 or add a warning since my vehicle was a 5.3L.

“Scoop 35853 offers a ram air upgrade for LT trucks and SUV’s equipped with the 4.8, 5.3. 6.0LT. This Scoop mounts below your frame behind the OEM valance and maintains a factory look with added performance. The 35853 installs in minutes by attaching the sleeve to the bottom of the air box and attaching the scoop to the frame using the OEM tow hook bolt. Note if your vehicle is not equipped with tow hooks trimming of the valance block of plate and a mounting bolt will be necessary to see the full hp and mpg benefits.”

Have a great day!

David

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Monday, September 12, 2011 12:27 PM
To: David
Subject: RE: Wet Volant Powercore with Ram air caused MAF codes

It’s been a pleasure David !!

Let me suggest in the future with whatever products you buy, not to modify them or buy a product that’s not approved for its specific application or use.

The filter is on the way.

Have a great day!!

Danny Moniz

Vice President / COO

Volant Performance / Volant Cool Air Intakes

10285 Indiana Court

Rancho Cucamonga, Ca 91730

Hours: Mon-Thur 9am - 5pm

Volant

Ph 909-481-3888 x237

Fx 909-987-8051

Come visit us at Sema 2011 Booth # 23020 - Central Hall

Save Gas or Go Fast !!!

Sent: Friday, September 09, 2011 2:43 PM
To: danny@volant.com

Send the replacement to the address in my signature.

I have found someone to take this intake & scoop off my hands once it has the new filter to go with it.

Thanks!

David

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2011 2:09 PM
Cc: daniel@volant.com

Hello David,

Sorry to hear about the issues your having with our Intake – however I will have to agree with both the owner and Daniel in Tech that the scoop installed on your Avalanche is not an approved fitment. As for the AutoAnything posting on their website a notice will be sent to remove.

The Donaldson PowerCore has been with us now for over 7 years with less than a 1% dilution rate, there’s no other filter on the planet that has that track record. When used properly under normal highway conditions the PowerCore filter should last 100k miles minimum. Now under extreme conditions, mud, snow, sand we have taken extra measures to ensure the protection of the PowerCore filter by offering a PreFilter. This is not to say that the PreFilter will stop all foreign elements but only aid in those conditions. After testing filters and manufacturing filters for over 15years I can tell, there is not the perfect filter yet for the extreme conditions mentioned, however, the PowerCore filter is the latest in technology and continues to be an industry leader in submicron filtration for over 30+ years.

Our company policy is very simple when it comes to modified or non-approved applications, such as an Avalanche Scoop and that is, No Warranties Apply. Not to say that we don’t stretch the rules on occasions. Our goal is to always service the customer.

With that said, this will be our final offer. Give me your address, we will then ship a replacement filter at no charge to you. Once the address is received the replacement filter will be shipped immediately. I would suggest in the meantime, removing the Scoop from your vehicle and purchasing a PreFilter at Volant for any future use in extreme conditions. I would also recommend checking your filter before and after any off road or extreme conditions. These same procedures would also apply to the most commonly used Cotton Gauze Filters used by most Aftermarket Air Intake Companies.

Waiting for your reply,

Have a great day!!

Danny Moniz

Vice President / COO

Volant Performance / Volant Cool Air Intakes

10285 Indiana Court

Rancho Cucamonga, Ca 91730

Hours: Mon-Thur 9am - 5pm

Volant

Ph 909-481-3888 x237

Fx 909-987-8051

Come visit us at Sema 2011 Booth # 23020 - Central Hall

Save Gas or Go Fast !!!

Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2011 10:33 AM
To: danny@volant.com
Subject: FW: Wet Volant Powercore with Ram air caused MAF codes

Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2011 5:32 AM
To: daniel@volant.com

OK. Thanks!

Auto Accessories & Aftermarket Parts at AutoAnything | Truck Accessories & Car Accessories | Floor Mats, Tonneau Covers & Car Covers

I’m not to sure where you guys are going with this. Above is a link for the 2003 Avalanche list the scoop.

The front of these trucks are the same and did not change until the NBS in 2006.

I have some nice pictures of the soggy plugged Powercore. The scoop mounted the same as it would in the Silverado and the 2003 Avalanche 5.3L.

Since I know the system is prone to plugging as evidenced by the “prefilter” which came out after I bought my system and my experiences, I’m going to dissect the bad filter I have now and start posting on GMfullsize, Chevy Avalanche fan club, Chevy Avalanche club, and on the Silverado sites.

I’m posting the pictures and this email warning everyone that this setup could become plugged, starve the engine for air, causing MAF and fueling codes, and risk possible damage to your truck.

I’m pretty confident that this system has a flaw when it comes to mud, snow, rain, and sand as was mentioned on the “prefilter” product.

This 100k mile filter failed!

David

White Buffalo 09-12-2011 07:06 PM

continued emails

Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2011 6:51 PM

I spoke with the owner about the filter issue you had and we can send a new filter out to you but you will need to pay the shipping. We do not list or carry a scoop for the Avalanche because we have never had one that fit correctly to do the winter testing, this is the only reason why he won’t cover the shipping, If you can send me a link showing Volant listing the scoop for the avalanche he will cover the shipping also

Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2011 5:32 AM

Nope, it fits just like it would on a 2005 Chevy Silverado. The front of the trucks are identical. Compare the 05 avalanche and the 05 silverados.

I’m not sure why you are inferring that the system was not designed to fit the 2005 Avalanche? I ordered it FROM Volant using the Volant menus to select the system at the time of order.

No modifications were necessary. The tow hook bolt and everything fit perfectly as indicated by the included installation instructions.

This system was originally shown as fitting the old body style Avalanches. It does not fit the new body style Avalanches.

My issue with this system is that it sucked up SO MUCH water and road debris during a long trip in heavy rains that the filter became plugged and starved the engine for air as was reflected by the MAF codes that were thrown.

The filter failed me and plugged before 100,000 miles and almost left me stranded in the mountains of Virginia on labor day.

Are you thinking I misused or miss installed the system and this caused the filter to become saturated and plugged so little air could pass it?

David

Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2011 5:49 PM

The inner has to be modified in order for the scoop to line up with the tow hook, did you remove the medal inner fender?

Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2011 9:37 AM

It is a 5.3L Vortec 2005 1500 Avalanche Z71. I have 59k miles on the truck and purchased this filter at around 35kmiles.

I purchased it direct from Volant.

It is a 35853 scoop and a 151536 Box with a 61517 powercore filter.

The scoop bolts right behind the passenger side tow hook and feeds a hole in the bottom of the box as your site pictures it.

I just noticed while looking up the part numbers that you now offer a pre-filter for these that was not on the market when I bought mine.

So, I guess water and dust can plug these before 100,000 miles??

This thing scared the daylights out of me and almost left me stranded. I’m starting to think it might not be an ideal setup for bad weather???

David

Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2011 12:13 PM

Volant does not offer a ram air setup for the Avalanche, What type of ram air setup are you running?

Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2011 6:10 AM
To: tech@volant.com
Subject: Wet Volant Powercore with Ram air caused MAF codes
Importance: High

Hello,

I had a long trip thru Ohio, West Virginia, and Virginia for Norwalk Ohio to Durham NC.

I drove most of the way thru HEAVY RAIN. My vehicle is a Chevy Avalanche with a Powercore and Ram Air setup.

In Virginia the vehicle started hesitating on hills and bucking or missing. When the rain would subside the vehicle appeared to recover. When I hit rain again the problem returned. I made it home BUT BARELY!!!!!!

I checked the codes with my reader and found MAF registering low voltages and also fueling codes thrown.

I opened my intake and found a SATURATED PowerCore that I could not even see light through.

Has this happened before and is the ram air setup soaking the powercore with water and dirt to the point it is starving the engine? I do not have 100k on the powercore yet!

I’m switching back to my factory intake and have already removed the ram air tube.

Please respond to me before I post my problem on all the chevy forums. Do I need a replacement PowerCore? Is it under a warranty? Do the Ram Air systems need a check valve or shut off mechanism to reduce water intake during bad weather?

Thanks,

David

chevrolade 09-12-2011 07:24 PM

damm that sucks wheres the pics

AKlowriderZ71 09-12-2011 07:30 PM

Okay, I'm gonna be "that guy" I guess.

You installed the "ram air" system, and you know where it draws its air from that feeds the airbox(that you also installed). What did you expect to happen when you were driving in this tropical storm for 6 hours? Did you expect the rain to hit everywhere on the front of your truck EXCEPT the airbox inlet? I've never been in a tropical storm(Alaska...) but I also imagine there was a fair amount of standing water you drove through, but I cold be wrong there.

White Buffalo 09-13-2011 05:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by chevrolade (Post 4771180)
damm that sucks wheres the pics

I've been having probs getting pics onto these sites.

One is posted on GMFS that I put into a signature which shows the volant collapsed in on itself.

It got wet and started and accordian style crunch up at the adapter that connects to the MAF.

I had to stretch the darn thing out just to get the Av to run!!

White Buffalo 09-13-2011 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71 (Post 4771194)
Okay, I'm gonna be "that guy" I guess.

You installed the "ram air" system, and you know where it draws its air from that feeds the airbox(that you also installed). What did you expect to happen when you were driving in this tropical storm for 6 hours? Did you expect the rain to hit everywhere on the front of your truck EXCEPT the airbox inlet? I've never been in a tropical storm(Alaska...) but I also imagine there was a fair amount of standing water you drove through, but I cold be wrong there.

No, your fine! The thing I was banking on was the statements Volant would make about it being able to get wet and STILL work.

I fully expected things to get wet but, call me a dummy I guess, I did not expect it to about kill the truck! :judge:

AND...I did expect Volant to stand behind their product and not use a lame excuse that it was miss installed!!!!