Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UPD vs. Volant w/ ram air tube

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 07:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: UPD vs. Volant w/ ram air tube

i never experienced either of them, but i would have to go with the volant. why? probably because it has that slick tube that fits in the opening in the air dam, plus the filter has more surface area,i think (it looks cone shaped, while the upd uses a dropin). only similarities that i know of are both filter kits use a box to shield from engine heat, and have a good shape intake tube. so the volant ram air just has a few extras that lead me to assume that it would give better performance. i know they say you shouldn't assume, but this seems logical to me. i'm sure someone here might have some proof to answer your question. sorry my opion did not provide any solid evidence.
Old 05-03-2003, 09:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

UPD intakes have shown more hp on the dyno then other set ups. Granted they may only make 7hp gain as opposed to 4hp by KN FIPK (so much for 20hp they garenteed ) Soon we should hear about a UPD group purchase we can get in on.
Old 05-04-2003, 01:54 AM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if the Volant is like this but, my dad's Air-Raid cone filter gets extremely dirty in one spot which tells me that there is not even airflow around the filter.

The flat filter with my UPD intake shows pretty even dirt buildup. I think a ram air setup with the UPD would be the best setup.

I don't know if that really means anything as far as horsepower is concerned but, it's all the little things that start adding up.

John
Old 05-05-2003, 08:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

My take on Volant is why put a conical filter in a box and deliver air from the end and bottom. Makes no sense to me.