Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Transmission flush at home?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission flush at home?

Hey I was daydreaming at work when I came up with this idea. Let me know if you guys think it would work. Buy some gallon jugs of transmission fluid. Buy a small piece of pipe from the hardware store the same size as the snorkel on the transmission filter. Put a pretty big drain pan under the transmission and remove the pan. Remove the filter. Leave the pan there and use an Oring and put one end of the pipe where the filter was, and the other end into the gallon jug. You would have to leave the jug in the drain pan but that would be ok. Start the truck and when the jug is almost empty, turn the truck off and start another jug. Repeat until new fluid comes out. Replace filter and pan and fill the pan thru the dip stick hole. Guys let me know if this would work...
Old 06-12-2003, 02:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Transmission flush at home?

How bout an easier way, find a flexable rubber pieace of hose remove it get another pieace of hose (from the transmission cooler lines) for the end you took off and run one into a tub of new ATF and problem solved. Their was a ford manual I was flipping through one time that they advised taking the transmission pan off then running the engine till and stopping the engine once fluid stops comming from under the valve body. Stupidest thing i've ever heard. Or why not just draining and filling the fluid.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fullfloating you sound like you have lots of experience. Does my idea sound like it would work and be safe? I might try it in a few days. I want to try to get all the old stuff out and all new in and when it is thru put a new filter on. Let me know if my idea is safe.
Old 06-13-2003, 04:13 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would want to find a flexable pieace of the transmission cooler line instead of taking the filter off, I dunno if GMs even have this. Could always intrupt the connection to the radiator or transmission cooler and put a hose on either end, find out flowpath though.