Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top Speed Tips? How Fast?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 01:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Speed Tips? How Fast?

Lets try this again, I guess a mod deleted my first thread about this because of the mention of breaking the law in there.... wah wah...

Anyway, just want to know how fast is your Silverado? Does it feel safe at high speed?

Mine GPS'ed 129 before I let out because it started to drift really bad... didn't feel safe at all. How fast have you taken yours? What tires do you have?

What are some good suggestions for mods that are more for top speed control rather than drag racing? I am thinking lowering, better tires/wheels, rear anti-sway bar and bigger brakes... Am I on the right track? Where can I get a anti-sway bar for the rear?

What cam would be good for a RCSB with 4.8 and 5 speed with 3.42's looking for top end performance rather than 0-100 performance? What other engine mods would be good for 100+ performance? Big scoop under the front bumper for Ram air effect? Anyone got something like that already with pics? I have been wanting to buy a plastic welder and build my own under bumper scoop and plumbing for a nice ram-air type cold air setup.

Last edited by shimp; 10-19-2007 at 01:44 AM.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:57 AM
TECH Addict

Get you some general grabber uhp's, lowering will help a lot. Sway bars will help in the corners. Some 17/18s wouldn't be that bad with 8.5/9.5" wide would be more stable. I wouldn't like the idea of high speeds with the stock driveshaft. Don't know where you could pick up aftermarket driveshaft or rear sway bar.

Take into consideration trucks are not made for high speeds whatever you do to it.

I've been 128 on hypercrap speed limiter on stock gears. 120+ with the 4:10s...did not want to go wot into overdrive on stock trans. This was on a lonesome highway south of the mexican border.

A 224 on a 114 cam and some milled 243 heads will give you a lot more top end power with that 4.8 5 speed.

here is a video for your entertainment
http://video.performancetrucks.net/v...56008e62d8.htm
Old 10-19-2007, 01:59 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I removed your last thread because it was directed at breaking the law. I am no angel but I know what it feels like to hit a brick wall at high speed and I have witnessed the suffering of innocent people because of anothers selfish acts.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by trever1t
I removed your last thread because it was directed at breaking the law. I am no angel but I know what it feels like to hit a brick wall at high speed and I have witnessed the suffering of innocent people because of anothers selfish acts.
+1 except i hit a retaining wll at pomona speedway but i think the point is we dont support giving advice on how to put others at danger and break the law at the same time. and i dont think many people would disagree
Old 10-19-2007, 03:02 AM
On The Tree

It's cool. I understand. Just want to make my truck go faster! I got a need for speed. Was wondering what other people had experienced with their trucks on top end after removing the speed limiter completley like I did (well, i set it to 256mph anyway lol, maybe if it fell out of an airplane...) I want to eventually buy a new ZO6 or a new Camaro, but it's a ways off and until then I want to play around with my truck. I was very impressed with the fact that it would do 130mph stock engine and all, but I was very scared about the suspension and tires and just wondered what other people had done to stabilize their trucks at higher speeds.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:06 AM
On The Tree

Not sure I understand why the driveshaft may not be safe at those speeds? Can you enlighten me? Never thought about the driveshaft being an issue, the rear end, but not the shaft....

So basically I just shouldn't do it period? Trucks just not built for it? I want to play with the fast cars... Not necessarily beat them, but play with them. Guess I really should think about waiting till I get Vette or Camaro for those speeds? Just thought it would be cool to have a 150mph pickup (stable), not to mention the rush....
Old 10-19-2007, 03:12 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shimp
Not sure I understand why the drive shaft may not be safe at those speeds? Can you enlighten me? Never thought about the drive shaft being an issue, the rear end, but not the shaft....
Truck drive shafts tend to disintegrate or worse when spinning at near light-speed, lol. I never take my truck over 120 even though it starts pulling like a **** at 110.
We all want to go faster but what does that mean? Anything can go fast. For me it's can it go as fast from 0-110 on the track?

Last edited by trever1t; 10-19-2007 at 03:19 AM.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:18 AM
On The Tree

So I need to get some facts and compare a camaro or vette driveshaft to a truck driveshaft so I can see the differences, I never thought the driveshaftt in my truck might be a problem. I like dragging, but I also like to play with the fast cars, a friend of mine had a Supra twin turbo and I used to ride around all night with him "playing" and I got hooked. I wanted a Supra after that, but with all the progress and still a fair price vs. performance on the new ZO6 I think I really want one... Supra's are old news, fun, badass, but I think I want a new vette. The new camaro looks like it's gonna be badass, but I need to drive one first....

So does anyone know what the driveshaft differences are in like say a camaro vs. a truck?
Old 10-19-2007, 05:28 AM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Length....
Old 10-19-2007, 07:54 AM
TECH Addict

At 120mph possibly more, my truck feels like a deathtrap! When my cluster is egged at 120 with Yokohama 275/70 R16 h/t on a Z71, it's pretty damn eratic! I don't do that alot...only at the track and very, very occasionaly on the Interstate at 3:00 am with no other driver around me. I don't mind if I die, but I don't want anyone else to be in danger because I'm flying.

If you're gonna do high speeds for a length of time, be prepared to have a custom driveline, get some sticky *** tires and tighten up your suspension too! But be safe.....thay don't spped rate tires for no reason ya know.

Quick Reply: Top Speed Tips? How Fast?