Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

The swap is done, she's running, gotta few questions as well..

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 05:36 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the swap man, glad it's living up to your expectations! Maybe some day in the very distant future (many, many years) I'll go that route, sound like fun. I wonder if bumping the desired idle up a tad will help with the almost stalling problem. My truck was doing just about the same thing after the cam swap, so I raised the desired idle up 50 rpm from 575 to 625 with my Vinci handheld and it idles like a dream now.

Now go eat some rice and spit em out! Throw a few ferds in there for protein! Enjoy!
Old 10-18-2004, 08:03 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys seem that you all are more experience on the swaps. I bearly got my engine 2 days ago and want to put it on already, so I had some questions that I hope you can answer. First my truck is a 4.8 2001 GMC RC sport side bed, the 6.0 is new for a 01-02 2500 HD truck and it has alomost everything and that I know of, the intake manifold and other stuff I can use the same as my truck so what I need is just to tune the computer and this is the question. Do I need the wire harnesses or will mine work fine? Thanks and congratulations on your swap and the best of luck.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JJ_NLTO
Hi guys seem that you all are more experience on the swaps. I bearly got my engine 2 days ago and want to put it on already, so I had some questions that I hope you can answer. First my truck is a 4.8 2001 GMC RC sport side bed, the 6.0 is new for a 01-02 2500 HD truck and it has alomost everything and that I know of, the intake manifold and other stuff I can use the same as my truck so what I need is just to tune the computer and this is the question. Do I need the wire harnesses or will mine work fine? Thanks and congratulations on your swap and the best of luck.
Your wiring harness will work just fine, as long as you plan on using the same transmission. Everything is a direct swap. No one will be able to tell you did the swap under the hood. The only thing that looks different under my hood now is the long tubes. You will definately have to have the computer tuned. My would crank and drive with the stock 4.8L tune, but it ran like crap. It runs great now! It definately has twice the horsepower of my 4.8L. You can tell that instantly. Good luck on the swap, and don't get frustrated if you have to work out some bugs.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:59 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Holy cow Jeremy, I don't know how I missed this thread. I had a busy weekend, but .... MAN!!!

I'm so glad that baby is installed and running. I know you were itching to get it installed. Congratulations. Hope everything went smoothly. Sounds like its all good.

That bog in overdrive is also probably due to the cam not making as much power in the very low rpms. Once it unlocks or downshift, you are in the meat of the cam. Most of the tunes I do makes it not go into OD until over 50mph or so.

Keep me informed on how its running. Your going to have to go by fastprocess before its over.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BigTex
Holy cow Jeremy, I don't know how I missed this thread. I had a busy weekend, but .... MAN!!!

I'm so glad that baby is installed and running. I know you were itching to get it installed. Congratulations. Hope everything went smoothly. Sounds like its all good.

That bog in overdrive is also probably due to the cam not making as much power in the very low rpms. Once it unlocks or downshift, you are in the meat of the cam. Most of the tunes I do makes it not go into OD until over 50mph or so.

Keep me informed on how its running. Your going to have to go by fastprocess before its over.
Yeah, Richard, I'm excited as hell about it! That is one mean *** cam. I can't thank you enough for everything you've done for me. Between you and Tntrk53, I might have never gotten this done. One thing is that converter lockup is so much more noticeable with the 3000. I hardly ever noticed it with the stock setup, but now it is really noticeable. When I get on it on the highway, this is one bad s.o.b!!!! The injectors are fine for the time being, but I think I can get a little bit more up top with some bigger ones. The transmission is smooth and firm. I do notice a shudder when I'm coming to a stop. I really haven't figured out what it is yet, but that seems to be my last little bug to work out. I love the lope of this cam at idle. It has gotten me in to more conversations in the past few days. Most guys ask me if I'm running open headers. I tell them no, then hit the switch to the cutouts and say,"This is what open headers sounds like!" The look on their faces is priceless!!! Thanks again for everything! Hopefully the meats will come in soon, so I can make some hard passes at the track. No way am I launching this thing on these tires right now!!!! I wouldn't be able to choose a lane.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:39 AM
TECH Addict

man your honestly killing me. That thing sounds so awesome and I can hear your excitement through your posts.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by greentahoe
man your honestly killing me. That thing sounds so awesome and I can hear your excitement through your posts.
You have no idea!!!! I honestly think I'm more excited about it now than I was the day I bought the truck. Do the swap, man! I look for reasons to go the store now. I'm running nothing but premium now, and it looks like most of my paychecks will be going to gas money, but it hasn't slowed me down yet.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Congrats, Slo! Glad you are running and grinning.
GreenTahoe, only the budget is limiting in my eyes. Lots of cheap 5.3/4.8 blocks out there to play with ( look at my signature for possibilities ) but overall displacement rules. The 6.0L engine builds are so common now and prices are coming down. There is even the LS2 engine out now, talk about choices.
Makes me wanna cry in my beer when my bro takes the Silvo away and leaves me with only the Hemi to play with. BTW, the he owns the fastest family vehicle award now, at least until my STS comes in.