Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

The swap is done, she's running, gotta few questions as well..

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 11:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The swap is done, she's running, gotta few questions as well..

Well, the 6.0L swap is done and the truck is home. Had a problem with the 02 pcm cutting off the fuel(security), but I wasn't getting a security light in the truck. I put in the old 99 pcm and drove it home. It idled like crap and was pouring black smoke out, but hey, I had to get it home. When I got home, I put the 02 pcm back in and it ran it perfectly. It hasn't shut off since, so who knows... On to my questions. First off, most of the time the truck will sit there and idle perfectly, but when I come up to a stopsign or a turn, it seems like it wants to drop down too low of rpms and almost go dead. Sometimes it picks back up, but sometimes, if I don't blip the throttle it would go dead. I've been trying the idle relearn procedure, and it says it may take a few times, so would it be anything else? Also, I'm hearing a little whine. I can't tell if it's coming from my converter or my rear end(the truck is damn loud now with the magnaflows/no cats) Anybody with a TCI 3000 experience any whining sounds? I noticed the mechanic didn't quite have enough tranny fluid in it, would that make it do that? I did get the gears swapped, so that might be it.

Oh yeah, impressions on swap... This thing feels strong as hell!!! The cam really hits at idle, and the converter feels somewhat loose. I'm going to put some miles on it before I really get er done, but this thing feels like a freaking beast. Sounds like one too!!!!!
Old 10-16-2004, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have you gotten around the PCM security issue yet? My 2000 is down for a P1631 code (Please don't ask ). I've tried the relearn procedure as per the Helms manual, but still no joy. Gonna see if the dealer can reflash my PCM without needing the truck onsite.
Old 10-16-2004, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Im totally undecided as to whether to build up my 5.3 or just swap in a 6.0. I think I may go with the same tranny as you, since Im pretty easy on the truck usually and dont drive much. With the 6.0 I would need to pay for install, but I do have alot of miles on the 5.3. Im totally undecided. Would you do it again??
Old 10-16-2004, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats awesome man I cant wait to get my swap going.
Old 10-16-2004, 01:53 PM
12 Second Club

Awesome, must feel like a whole new truck!

Whine could be the gears, they might not be shimmed up correctly. I'd check the pattern and backlash or have a trans shop do it.....
Old 10-16-2004, 02:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Slow,

Awesome man. Im glad it all went smooth for you! Put some miles on that puppy then put some meat to it. Let us know how you really like it!! 03 is right on the gears, he may not have gotten the backlash set right the first time. It might be a bit too tight. Have the mechanic recheck them before it eats your gears.
Old 10-16-2004, 03:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by greentahoe
Im totally undecided as to whether to build up my 5.3 or just swap in a 6.0. I think I may go with the same tranny as you, since Im pretty easy on the truck usually and dont drive much. With the 6.0 I would need to pay for install, but I do have alot of miles on the 5.3. Im totally undecided. Would you do it again??
I would absolutely do it again. I took it out this afternoon, and good grief, I can't believe the power this thing has! The pull up top is pretty incredible!!!
Old 10-16-2004, 04:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by O3GMC
Awesome, must feel like a whole new truck!

Whine could be the gears, they might not be shimmed up correctly. I'd check the pattern and backlash or have a trans shop do it.....
The whine is pretty much gone now. I don't hear it any more, so I assume it was something that just needed to settle inself.

OBXMarine- I have no idea why the 02 pcm didn't work the first time I installed it, but after I put the 99 pcm in and drove it home, I reinstalled the 02 and it works now. I'm not going to complain!

99Silver5.3- I've been giving it to it alittle bit(not too much because I don't have my tranny cooler on yet).

One more question guys. When I just ease along like taking off, it seems to go through the gears mighty fast, and when it hits overdrive, it seems to kinda bog down until I give it some gas to downshift back to third. Is that because of the 3.73s I got put in there, or is it something to do with the stall, because I am used to neither of them. When I make it downshift, it is gone... I still haven't gotten the idle right when I come to a stop, it seems to drop the rpms too much, almost making it go dead. Like I said earlier, sometimes if I don't blip the throttle a little bit, it would go dead. I guess I need to call Allen Monday and see what he says. I'm going out tonight to have a little fun!!!
Old 10-16-2004, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Another thing, the mechanic told me I needed some new rear brakes and probably rotors. Would that make it whine like that when I let off the throttle and quieted down the pipes?
Old 10-16-2004, 04:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Did you adjust the throttle screw in at all? If you haven't it will fix the rpm drop/stalling. Just make sure you unplug the TPS and turn the key on for 10 secs, then key off plug the TPS back in then key on again, this resets the TP% back to 0%.

Quick Reply: The swap is done, she's running, gotta few questions as well..