Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Stock posi vs. Locker

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2003, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock posi vs. Locker

What is the advantage of getting a locker over a posi? Does it basically work the same way as posi or what? Iv got stock 3.73 with posi, shouldnt that be good enough? If not what brands and what gear ratio while im at it. What does one cost?
Old 04-26-2003, 11:56 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Default Re: Stock posi vs. Locker

the posi GM uses is a Eaton G80 which is a good performing posi (that name is a trademark of GM) A locker doesn't work like a posi. A posi is trying to keep both wheels within a balance of power to each other, so they don't like going around tight corners cause the outside wheel overrunning the inside wheel. A locker is simply a way to engauge both axles, if you remove your diff cover you will see 4 pinion gears a locker eliminates that. You unable to turn corners well with a locker or spool. You can have though an ARB air locker or Eaton E-locker both i belive at a touch of a button lock both axles. If you have a HD truck I belive the detroit locker is usable for the floating axle 14 bolt, a detroit locker may be streetable if someone wants to chime in and elaborate.
Old 04-27-2003, 12:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the Detroit is streetable as long as you don't mine it sounding like the rear end of your truck is gonna blow apart each time you hit the gas as you go around a corner...and for those that have never driven a vehicle with one they can be kind of disconcerting as the rear end wags when the locker kicks in when you hit the gas around corners...and they tend to tear up tires for the same reason....but yeah, for the most part they are streetable
Old 04-27-2003, 12:11 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Theirs a 4x4 shop that put some used detroit lockers for 14bolts on ebay think they wanted round $270-$300 for them. But every claimed "genius" tells me they arn't streetable, I think they are confusing a detroit for a spool.
Old 04-27-2003, 04:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I almost think I would rather drive a spooled vehicle on the street than one with a Detroit in it (and I currently own a '68 Firebird with a Detroit Locker in it)..the Detroit takes some getting used to...especially if you are driving in the city alot, a spooled rear end just scrubs tires around corners and tends to understeer the vehicle a little bit due to the lack of a real differential

If you decide to put a Detroit in your truck make sure you know how they act on pavement before you get into a panic situation and have to turn and hit the gas at the same time...when that rear end locks up it goes BANG and the rear end WILL wag if you are under hard acceleration...sometimes enough to fishtail (my '68 fishtails HARD when the rearend locks if I get into it around corners)
Old 04-27-2003, 04:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I think the Eaton LSD is good enough for just hot roddin around town, The E locker sounds interesting.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:44 AM
Moderator / Sponsor

"Streetable" is still a subjective term. I have no problem with the Detroit locker on the street, but it is because i am used to the feel...As was said you need to drive one and i mean drive one hard to know what it does. You need to modify your driving habits to control the lockers beahvior. Oversteer is prominate with your foot in the pedal...and panic manuvers need to be practiced. I had an Eaton 8.5" in my 95' Impala and it is what i would consider the most streetable...very predictable and still adjustable/rebuildable. I still feel the locker has much better hard launch characteristics and more durability.
Old 04-28-2003, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A detroit will run you around $550, then another $200 to $250 on the install. I think a good posi (Eaton or Auburn) will run in the $400 range with the same install price as the detroit. If you want lower gears such as a 4.10, the time to do it is when you swap out the g-80.

I wouldn't recommend a selectable locker (such as ARB) for a street truck because you only have the choice of it being fully open or spool, and neither of which is good for street performance. Plus the ARB requires you to mount a small air compressor to power it. I don't know that much about those new e-lockers from detroit and eaton.

IMO, I would go sticky tires first to solve traction problems. If after that the G-80 is letting you down by unlocking and letting the one wheel peel take over, then IMO it's time for a Detroit or good tight LSD.