Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Stainless works header issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 11:42 PM
PSM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stainless works header issues

I bought headers from stainless works and like a fool had them sent directly from ssw to get ceramic coated before I test fit them. Now the pasanger side sits right on the frame. I was tempted to heat them and tru to bend them with a comalong, but since they are coated I'm guessing that stuff is going to crack and fall right off as soon as I try to move them.

Also the tranyn cooler lines right right up against it. I think I may try to cut a section out of the hard lines and run braided lines.. any suggestion on how I can do this.. Maybe flare the hard line where I cut it and put a flare to hard line adapter and run that?
Old 10-26-2008, 12:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 304 Likes on 221 Posts

be careful with those cat's. I just went through a big ordeal with mine. I blew the innards out of both cats on the driver side the O2 sensor cought most of the debris but the passenger side clogged up my single in dual out muffler. I had to drop the whole exhaust and have a new muffler installed.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:59 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow sorry to here your probs aswell, terravast4 had probs witem also, glad i havn't bit the bullet and bought SW yet, now i'm think twice.. Hope you get your probs resolved

John
Old 10-26-2008, 08:13 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Sorry to hear about that man, did you try contacting StainlessWorks? My pass side header was right on the frame also, but I thought it was because they've only been test fit on 03's and up and mine's a 99. I did a little tweaking as well as loosening the motor mount bolts and shifting the engine over, and I got the header off the frame, but it's still really close. I don't get any banging noises or engine vibrations in the cab, and don't see any marks on the headers so I'm pretty sure that I'm good to go. You could try loosening the motor mount bolts and shifting the engine over like I did, it might get you some more room.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

if you do end up cutting your hard lines, use one of these AN to tubing adaptors from summit, they are what i used going from my stock fuel lines to run steel braided lines
Old 10-26-2008, 08:58 AM
PSM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by terravast4
be careful with those cat's. I just went through a big ordeal with mine. I blew the innards out of both cats on the driver side the O2 sensor cought most of the debris but the passenger side clogged up my single in dual out muffler. I had to drop the whole exhaust and have a new muffler installed.
Oh goody. I got 30% off the whole system so I was happy, maybe it wasn't such a good deal. When did you buy your system and do you remember what brand the cars were?

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Sorry to hear about that man, did you try contacting StainlessWorks? My pass side header was right on the frame also, but I thought it was because they've only been test fit on 03's and up and mine's a 99. I did a little tweaking as well as loosening the motor mount bolts and shifting the engine over, and I got the header off the frame, but it's still really close. I don't get any banging noises or engine vibrations in the cab, and don't see any marks on the headers so I'm pretty sure that I'm good to go. You could try loosening the motor mount bolts and shifting the engine over like I did, it might get you some more room.
I just put them on this weekend. I have a list of questions for them including how I am supposed to hang the whole system with what looks like only 2 hangers in the kit.

I'll try to move the motor around to see what that does.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even if you have to dent them in a little it won't rust, I assume all their stuff is 304 ss.

I would go ahead and replace both cooling lines with braided AN and pull them up away from the exhaust, had the same problem with Dynatech LT's.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:32 AM
TECH Junkie

I bought my system about two months ago. The crossover pipe for the y-pipe did not fit but I had my truck apart so I had a local shop fab up a piece for me. i think it was for a 4x4 since it had scribbled on it with a sharpie "4x4". I e-mailed them as to what cat's I had gotten because of the application and told them about the wrong size pipe they told me I had gotten the random technology metal matrix cats and were the best in the industry but never once mentioned the incorrect piece for my set-up.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:40 AM
Baltimore Whore

Wow, you got the ham bone all the way around, I would be on the horn with them getting some satisfaction, refund some $$ thats for sure, all that money for top of the line parts and you received basically junk..

John
Old 10-26-2008, 12:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah, you should have seen the look I got from the guy's at the muffler shop when they pulled the debris out of the muffler. it was like I had used two pinata's for cats or something.

Quick Reply: Stainless works header issues